Sign in to follow this  
Casey Jordan

Art Of The Cowboy Makers 2012

To all Makers, We are currently taking applications for our 4th Annual Art of the Cowboy Makers contest in Loveland, Colorado June 15-17.Need not be present to enter and your entry may be for sale or not. Due to popular request we have added a Chap category for 2012.2012 Categories: Boots - Braiding - Chaps - Engraving - Hats - Leather Carving - Saddles - Spurs - Youth

* Must have 7 contestants entered in a single category by 12/31/2011 to keep that category

in the contest. If the category is canceled, all paid deposits/entries in that category will be

refunded.

* 9 Categories – Boots, Braiding, Chaps, Engraving, Hats, Leather Carving, Saddles, Spurs & Youth

* Entry Fee $100 per entry per category, $50 deposit

* Trophy Buckles for 1stPlace in each category and 1stPlace in People's Choice in each category

* Cash and ribbons awarded to first 3 places in each category

* Judging will be done by contestants in the specific categories

* "People's Choice Award" for each category voted by show attendees

* Limit of 25 items per category. 1stcome 1stserve

* One entry per category per person

* Cannot enter an item previously entered in the Art of the Cowboy Makers Contest.

* Up to 2 makers working on one item

* Leather Carvers will be making a purse. So the Leather Carving project is a Purse any size up

to 14"long X 10" high. No kits allowed. Metal allowed on Closures, handle & strap attachments

and/or adjustments and on zippers

* Open Chap category. Can make any style – batwing, shotgun, rodeo, chinks, etc. Must bring own chap stand.

* Bring your own saddle stand or rent one for $20.

* Entries must be delivered by noon on Friday, June 15, 2012.

* Security will be provided. Not responsible for damages, loss or theft.

What do the makers say?

"It was a fantastic event. We really enjoyed visiting with everyone and admiring all of the artisans' work. "

"Thanks for everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"What a Crowd!"

"Made it to the Hall of Fame the other day when I was down in that country. You sure did a nice job setting up the display. It looked great."

"The exposure is worth the hundred dollar entry fee whether I win or not!"

Applications and rules can be found on our website: www.artofthecowbboymakers.com

Any questions or comments Please just call or email! 602-482-9758 casey@artofthecowboymakers.com

Just a quick note to let you know we almost have the 2012 Art of the Cowboy Makers calenders ready.

Should be ready for shipping in mid November.

They will be $12.50 including shipping in the U.S. & International orders will be $10.00 plus actual shipping costs.

We also have Caps & T-Shirts for $20.00 each plus shipping.There are pictures of these on our website and Facebook.

http://www.artofthecowboymakers.com/Store.html

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Art-of-the-Cowboy-Makers/495937530011

If your planning on entering the 2012 contest, Please don't wait! I have sent an email to over 500 makers!!!!

We expect to fill a couple categories with the interest we have so far. We have several new makers already entered in Chaps & Leather Carving.

Any questions Please ask!

Email casey@artofthecowboymakers.com or call me at 602-482-9758

All Cinch Makers,

Art of the Cowboy Makers is a contest for contemporary makers of Boots, Braiding, Chaps,Engraving, Hats, Leather Carving, Saddles, Spurs and a youth category. Do you want us to add a Cinch Category?? Will you enter??I was approached by Darin Alexander of ArtCords to see if we could add a cinch category for the 2012 contest.After much discussion we agreed to let you decide if there is enough interest in this category to add it.This is your chance to get some good exposure for your work and your craft.As with all other categories we will need seven (7) paid entries by December 31, 2011 to add this category. We will not order the Trophy Buckles for less than seven entries, we order all the Trophy Buckles the first of the year.

Please visit our website for Dates, Location, Rules and Application: http://www.artofthecowboymakers.com/We don't have a Cinch category on the application yet so you may just write it in so we know which category your entering.The cinch rules: One cinch any length, any style and any materials may be used. Please read all other rules on our website.

You may enter as many categories as you wish. You do not need to be present to enter.All entries will be invited to a special ProRodeo Hall of Fame Exhibit for about a two and a half months. We take all the entries that want to go the day after the contest, the pick-up date still needs to be confirmed but we are shooting forSeptember 7, 2012.

This contest is in conjunction with the Loveland Old West Round-Up Western Collectable Show.

You may set up if you wish. http://www.roundupproductionsllc.com/Loveland.html

If you have any questions Please just ask!

Email: casey@artofthecowboymakers.com Or call me at: 602-482-9758

Maker's Contest Update.Just wanted to let you know that we are quickly coming up to the December 31 date when we need to have 7 entries in each category to keep it in the contest. Bear with me as I repeat why we have had to put this rule in place.

We have the support of some wonderful sponsors who underwrite the cost of the buckles for each category. But we still need to get the buckles ordered early so that they have plenty of time to make the buckles before the contest. That's 16 buckles!

We have had several emails recently asking if we have 7 entries in a particular category yet. The emails go on to say that they will enter as soon as we get 7. However, if everyone waits until we get 7, we won't have 7 before the December 31 date.

Our goal is to provide this contest for you, the makers, so that your work can be seen on the website, the contest and the ProRodeo Hall of Fame. You are competing with some of the best makers in the world. We do all we can to see that your work is presented to the buying public. That is our commitment to you.

The reason we have said 7 must be entered in a category is because any less, frankly, it really isn't much of a contest. When there are at least 7 contestants the prize money given, will more than pay back the entry fee.

Personally, I have entered several categories that I know I didn't have the skill to win but with entering I have been able to generate future sales and feel the $100 is an inexpensive way to gain lots of advertising. I have actually made over a thousand dollars in order just by being entered. Well worth the entry fee!

At present we have the following entries in each category:

Boots: 2

Braiding: 2

Cinches: 9

Chaps: 2

Engraving: 4

Hats: 1

Leather Carving: 2

Saddles: 2

Spurs: 1

Youth: 1

Please don't delay in getting your applications in. Remember, only a $50 deposit is required with your application. We strongly believe in you, the makers, and we hope that you see the value in a contest like this.

http://www.artofthecowboymakers.com/

Any questions Please just ask! casey@artofthecowboymakers.com

Casey

Maker's Contest Update.Just wanted to let you know that we are quickly coming up to the December 31 date when we need to have 7 entries in each category to keep it in the contest. Bear with me as I repeat why we have had to put this rule in place.

We have the support of some wonderful sponsors who underwrite the cost of the buckles for each category. But we still need to get the buckles ordered early so that they have plenty of time to make the buckles before the contest. That's 16 buckles!

We have had several emails recently asking if we have 7 entries in a particular category yet. The emails go on to say that they will enter as soon as we get 7. However, if everyone waits until we get 7, we won't have 7 before the December 31 date.

Our goal is to provide this contest for you, the makers, so that your work can be seen on the website, the contest and the ProRodeo Hall of Fame. You are competing with some of the best makers in the world. We do all we can to see that your work is presented to the buying public. That is our commitment to you.

The reason we have said 7 must be entered in a category is because any less, frankly, it really isn't much of a contest. When there are at least 7 contestants the prize money given, will more than pay back the entry fee.

Personally, I have entered several categories that I know I didn't have the skill to win but with entering I have been able to generate future sales and feel the $100 is an inexpensive way to gain lots of advertising. I have actually made over a thousand dollars in order just by being entered. Well worth the entry fee!

Please don't delay in getting your applications in. Remember, only a $50 deposit is required with your application. We strongly believe in you, the makers, and we hope that you see the value in a contest like this.

http://www.artofthecowboymakers.com/

Any questions Please just ask! casey@artofthecowboymakers.com

Casey

Make that 3 for Carving Casey...you'll have my app and deposit by the end of the week. (Busy with Christmas orders until then! ;) )

Chris

Casey

I sent PM to you. My saddle will be ready for 2012 contest

Martin

Make that 3 for Carving Casey...you'll have my app and deposit by the end of the week. (Busy with Christmas orders until then! ;) )

Chris

Chris,

Sweet!!!! Happy to have your work entered!cheers.gif

Casey

I sent PM to you. My saddle will be ready for 2012 contest

Martin

Martin,

I didn't get the PM but I did receive your entry! Very excited to have the Czech Republic entered again!!!

Are you coming again this year? I hope you can!

Casey

OF COURSE!!! Happy to meet you all again!

Chris,

Sweet!!!! Happy to have your work entered!cheers.gif

:showoff: Now I just need to figure out how to make a purse! Good thing we've got almost 6 months to go! ;)

* Must have 7 contestants entered in a single category by 12/31/2011 to keep that category

in the contest. If the category is canceled, all paid deposits/entries in that category will be

Just a thought, but have you thought about instead of canceling a category, simply reducing the fee and losing the cash prize/belt buckle part so it's a ribbon only event for the category? I know I'd still show. Something like $25+/- to cover the table space and ribbon/admin costs?

OF COURSE!!! Happy to meet you all again!

THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!! It will be good to visit with you again and I know others happy to see you too.

Just a thought, but have you thought about instead of canceling a category, simply reducing the fee and losing the cash prize/belt buckle part so it's a ribbon only event for the category? I know I'd still show. Something like $25+/- to cover the table space and ribbon/admin costs?

Six months to figure out how to make a purse? With your skills I have faith in ya!

We have thought about your idea and several other options. We do consider all comments and suggestions.

Let me put it to you from my prospective.

We started this contest as a way for contemporary to get exposure for their work, and it works very well. Win, lose or draw you will get exposure!!!!!

Let's take the leather carving category as an example. I send out emails to over 500 makers ( not all leather workers) and so far today 537 leather workers have visited this site alone.

Now if we can't even get 7 people proud enough of their work to enter.................then I'm just wasting my time!

Quite frankly, it's not worth the time and effort for just a couple entries.

The public was very disappointed last year to see only 5 pair of boots. Not much of a contest with only 5 entries.

I could go on and bore you with other fact and figures, but I will spare you.

Casey

Six months to figure out how to make a purse? With your skills I have faith in ya!

We have thought about your idea and several other options. We do consider all comments and suggestions.

Let me put it to you from my prospective.

We started this contest as a way for contemporary to get exposure for their work, and it works very well. Win, lose or draw you will get exposure!!!!!

Let's take the leather carving category as an example. I send out emails to over 500 makers ( not all leather workers) and so far today 537 leather workers have visited this site alone.

Now if we can't even get 7 people proud enough of their work to enter.................then I'm just wasting my time!

Quite frankly, it's not worth the time and effort for just a couple entries.

The public was very disappointed last year to see only 5 pair of boots. Not much of a contest with only 5 entries.

I could go on and bore you with other fact and figures, but I will spare you.

Casey

Definitely understandable Casey. Makes one wonder why so few people would enter...could be the fear of competition (i.e. possibility of losing) amongst the company of talent that has appeared in years past, could be the economy/justifying the fee, etc. I look at it this way, win, lose or draw I'm stepping up to face some of the best if nothing else comes of it, it's a personal milestone reached and some of my peers or the public may generate enough quality feedback that I learn how to improve. As for the fee, it's relatively cheap advertising, comparatively speaking, especially when you consider the audience is target market specific (artistic leather goods) and just a single sale would cover the fee plus generate even more word of mouth.

Here's hoping the carving (and all the others) category finds enough entrants to go on...expect my app & deposit this evening!

Chris

Hi Casey. I wanted to thank you for inviting the Leather Machine Co., Inc. to be one of the sponsers of this awesome event! You can count on us next year, and for years to come. Best of luck to all that have, or will be entering. Steve

Edited by Cobra Steve

Definitely understandable Casey. Makes one wonder why so few people would enter...could be the fear of competition (i.e. possibility of losing) amongst the company of talent that has appeared in years past, could be the economy/justifying the fee, etc. I look at it this way, win, lose or draw I'm stepping up to face some of the best if nothing else comes of it, it's a personal milestone reached and some of my peers or the public may generate enough quality feedback that I learn how to improve. As for the fee, it's relatively cheap advertising, comparatively speaking, especially when you consider the audience is target market specific (artistic leather goods) and just a single sale would cover the fee plus generate even more word of mouth.

Here's hoping the carving (and all the others) category finds enough entrants to go on...expect my app & deposit this evening!

Chris

Chris,

You absolutely, 100% "GET IT"!!!!!! How refreshing to see that someone sees the opportunity and value of this contest.

If I had a dollar for everyone who has told me " I can't win so I won't enter" I'd be well off by now.

They obviously don't get it!

I enter the engraving KNOWING I CAN'T WIN! I'm not good enough at engraving to win, place or show, that's a fact.

Bu wait a minute......The first year we had engraving I entered an engraved Barry King maul and I sold it and took three orders at the contest and then several months later took a re-order for two more mauls. I made about $1,200.00 for a $100.00 entry fee! My maul did not win anything in the contest ( no surprise here) but I guess you could say I was a winner after all.

I can't guarantee or promise you will sell anything or take orders, some have, some have not.

But I learned a long time ago that NO ONE will buy it unless they can see it! This contest gets your item in front of many potential buyers and new customers!

By the way I got your entry fee Chris, Your all set!! Thank You!

Casey

Hi Casey. I wanted to thank you for inviting the Leather Machine Co., Inc. to be one of the sponsers of this awesome event! You can count on us next year, and for years to come. Best of luck to all that have, or will be entering. Steve

Steve,

We are very happy and honored to have Leather Machine Co. as our "People's Choice Leather Carving" Sponsor.

What impressed me the most was when I called Steve and was giving him my best sponsorship sales pitch and I barely begun and he interrupted me and said "I'm in, how much do I owe you?"

He said he will do it if it supports the makers, "I want to support the makers!"

As you can see from his post above he supports ALL of you!!!

Thank You Steve & Leather Machine Co. for your Sponsorship!

Casey

i really wanted to enter this year....but I just dont have the money to send right now....I know its only half for the deposit but still cant do it...guess i will have to keep my fingers crossed that the braiding doesnt get canceled before i can come up with some spare dollars. :-(:(

Hey Casey,

With just one week left to enter, how about an update on the counts? :)

Hey Casey,

With just one week left to enter, how about an update on the counts? :)

roo4u,

We would love to have your work entered. No entries from Nebraska yet this year!

Here's the updated total of entries received so far.

Boots: 3

Cinches: 10

Engraving: 8

Hats: 2

Leather Carving: 5

Saddles: 5

Spurs: 2

I have received several entries this past week and I know I have some coming.

We had probably 20 people ask, plead and beg for us to add a Chap category and we only have two entries??!!

We added it because there was enough interest and you asked.

Here's the list of countries that are entered so far.

U.S. - I think about 15 states so far.

Czech Republic

Canada

Germany

Australia

I have had interest from several other countries including Argentina, France, England and Japan. All countries welcome!!!!

You can enter online through our website http://www.artofthec...pplication.html using a credit card or through Paypal to my email address: casey@artofthecowboymakers.com

Any questions or comments Please just ask!

Casey

Edited by Casey Jordan

Happy New Year!!Thank you everyone for your wonderful response in signing up for the different categories for the Art of the Cowboy Makers contest.

The last two weeks of the year we're very busy around here and it wasn't all Christmas either. We still have applications coming in on-line and in the mailbox and we encourage any of you who were waiting to see if your category had enough entries to go ahead and get your applications in now.

Remember, we only have 25 openings per category so don't delay in getting signed up.

We have a couple categories where folks have told us that they were late in getting signed up but that their applications are in the mail so as it stands now this is what we have:

Boots: 8

Braiding: 4 need 3 more

Chaps: 5 need 2 more

Cinches: 13 this category is HALF FULL

Engraving: 10 close to half full

Hats: 3 need 4 more

Leather Carvers: 12 HALF FULL

Saddles: 9

Spurs: 5 need 2 more, we know you guys are out there so let us hear from you!

Youth: 2 this category will not be cancelled because no buckles are awarded

As you can imagine, it will take Silver King quite a while to get 18 trophy buckles made and that's why we had the December 31 date for making sure we had enough makers in a category. We realize some of you may have been busy with Christmas and just forgot.

For those of you who haven't sent in your applications yet, you will have until June 1 or until the category is full (whichever comes first).

Applications are on the website http://www.artofthec...pplication.html and so is on-line payment option; either pay in full or 50% deposit. The website directory will be updated to include all new makers in the next few days. If you have a picture of some of your previous work that you'd like Kristi to list in the Photo Gallery on the website please send those to her directly at kristi@artofthecowboymakers.com She'll get them up as quickly as she can.

We don't want a picture of your contest item, just something you've done in the past in that category and would like others to see. Once again, thanks for getting your apps in as quickly as you did.

Makes all our planning for the contest so much easier.

Any questions or comments Please just ask!

Hi to all,

As we start into the month of February I just wanted to give you another update on the contest and how things are coming. We've had a busy 10 days with two shows; Old West Round-Up in Tucson and High Noon in Mesa. Reconnected with some makers there and hope to see you entered in the contest. I'm sending this email to all makers, entered or not.

The good news is that we didn't cancel ANY category!!!

So we have kept all categories: Boots, Braiding, Chaps, Cinches, Engraving, Hats, Leather Carving, Saddles, Spurs & Youth

We have currently 62 makers entering 76 items in the contest. We have entries from the USA, Canada, Czech Republic, Germany, and Australia. Love the way this thing keeps growing on the international level.

We will be accepting applications up to June 1 but some of the categories are over ½ full so don't wait too long to get them in or it may be too late. You can print off an application from the website and mail it in with your check or you can go on-line and sent it that way. You have the option to send a $50 deposit or your $100 entry fee on-line through paypal so it's pretty easy. http://www.artofthec...pplication.html

I have asked Kristi Wilson to help me answer some of your emails and questions on the contest. She is the one who keeps our website updated and so she should be able to answer most of your questions. If you're new to the contest this year we want to make sure you are listed in the Makers Directory on the website and that we have a picture of your work to post on the photo pages. Don't need a picture of your contest entry but just something you've done in the category you have entered and would like others to see. You can send that info to Kristi and she'll get it put up for you. kristi@artofthecowboymakers.com

Kristi & Dave have the Loveland Old West Round-Up that hosts our contest and so they can also answer any questions you may have about getting a vendor table at the show/contest. You can call them at

406-834-3603

or email kristi@artofthecowboymakers.com

As always if you have any questions Please just ask!

602-482-9758

Time is certainly counting down. Can you believe that it's April already? Just 2 1/2 months until the contest in Loveland. This email is sent to all makers even if they are entered. We are still accepting entries in all categories so get your applications in soon. Deadline for entries is June 1.

Almost 90 entries from 7 countries – it's hard for us to believe that what started with 4 categories only 4 short years ago has grown this quickly – thanks to all of you!

We now have 10 categories: Boots, Braiding, Chaps, Cinches, Engraving, Hats, Leather Carving, Saddles, Spurs & Youth

Trophy buckles and ribbons have been ordered. Silver King has come up with another nice new design and we know the winners will be proud to wear them. A number of you have decided to get tables at the tradeshow – that's a great way to make additional sales while talking to folks about your contest item. Dave & Kristi have assured me that the makers with tables will be as close to the contest area as possible. If you are thinking about getting a table, don't wait too long. You can go to there website and download an application. www.oldwestroundup.com

Don't forget that we will be taking all the contest entries to the ProRodeo Hall of Fame for a summer exhibit. The HOF has approximately 7000 visitors each month and so that means your item will be seen by over 20,000 people. We set-up at the Hall of Fame the day after the show, June 18, and the exhibit runs through Labor Day with us picking them up the Friday following. If you want your item to be displayed we would like to have some business cards or brochures that we can put out so folks can have your contact information. We mail your item back to you at the end of the exhibit and all we ask is that you pay the shipping and insurance charges for that.

Loveland and Fort Collins are busy places in the summer so don't delay in making your hotel reservations. One of our contest sponsors is High Plains Travel and they will be glad to help you with your flight and hotel arrangements. Call Donna Evanoika Mitchell at High Plains Travel

719-597-0004

ext:101 http://www.highplainstravel.com There is also hotel info on the Old West Round-Up site.

When we make the name tags for the contest, we will include a line that either says "Not for Sale" or "For Sale $????". Please let us know if your item is for sale and if so, your asking price. I know we have this on the application and some of you have already filled that in for us but some of your weren't sure if you were going to sell or at what price

Here's the link to the application page on our website: [/font] http://www.artofthec...pplication.html

You can print and send in the application or pay through Paypal.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to call:

602-482-9758

Casey Jordan

Edited by Casey Jordan

This will be the last reminder of the entry deadline. There's only one month left until the entry deadline of June 1st.

We now have 10 categories: Boots, Braiding, Chaps, Cinches, Engraving, Hats, Leather Carving, Saddles, Spurs & Youth Trophy buckles and ribbons have been ordered. Silver King has come up with another nice new design and we know the winners will be proud to wear them.

A number of you have decided to get tables at the trade show and that's a great way to make additional sales while talking to folks about your contest item. Dave & Kristi have assured me that the makers with tables will be as close to the contest area as possible. If you are thinking about getting a table, don't wait too long. You can go to there website and download an application. www.oldwestroundup.com

Don't forget that we will be taking all the contest entries to the ProRodeo Hall of Fame for a summer exhibit. The HOF has approximately 7000 visitors each month and so that means your item will be seen by over 20,000 people. We set-up at the Hall of Fame the day after the show, June 18, and the exhibit runs through Labor Day with us picking them up the Friday following. If you want your item to be displayed we would like to have some business cards or brochures that we can put out so folks can have your contact information. We mail your item back to you at the end of the exhibit and all we ask is that you pay the shipping and insurance charges for that.

Loveland and Fort Collins are busy places in the summer so don't delay in making your hotel reservations. One of our contest sponsors is High Plains Travel and they will be glad to help you with your flight and hotel arrangements. They have reserved a block of rooms at the Candlewood Suites in Loveland from June 13th through the 19th. The rate is $115.00 per night and the hotel is within walking distance to the fairgrounds. Call Donna Evanoika Mitchell at High Plains Travel :

719-597-0004

ext:101 http://www.highplainstravel.com There is also hotel info on the Old West Round-Up site.

We will have a few extra things to do this year. We will have at least one roping dummy to play with and you can also try your hand at Cowboy Fast Draw. There will also be an auction on Saturday. Here's the link to the application page on our website: http://www.artofthec...pplication.html

You can print and send in the application or pay through Paypal.

There doesn't seem to be much interest in Spurs this year!?

If you have any questions don't hesitate to call:

602-482-9758

Edited by Casey Jordan