Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

Notebook Cover Finished

Here is the notebook I posted pictures of a couple of weeks ago. I finished it with several coats of neatsfoot oil, Sheridan RTC Resist (one coat), and Sheridan Brown Antique paste (one application).

Comments and critiques always welcome.

The first pic is of the entire notebook, and the second is of the lacing detail.

Thanks,

Marlon

DSC01643.JPG

DSC01644.JPG

post-3307-1213210144_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1213210160_thumb.jpg

real nice job,on the finish.. but i really like the two color lace... GREAT JOB!!!!

You did a great job on the tooling, but that lacing is WWWOOOWWW.

Where did you come up with the instructions for the lacing? That looks really neat with the offsetting colors.

really nice job! What are the dimensions and did you draw the pattern?

Also, how wide is the lace and what is your lace hole measurements

beauty!!!!

pete

Marlon,

Very, very well done. I love the color and the fact that you went with the angled slit and not holes..... very impressive. The bi-color lacing is well done also of course. I'm very impressed with your tooling. You have quite a command of your tools.

Super....

David Theobald

Really nice, Marlon. I love your lacing.

THanks everyone for your comments. It was a fun project to make.

To answer the questions:

You did a great job on the tooling, but that lacing is WWWOOOWWW.

Where did you come up with the instructions for the lacing? That looks really neat with the offsetting colors.

The instructions for lacing are in the book below

really nice job! What are the dimensions and did you draw the pattern?

Also, how wide is the lace and what is your lace hole measurements

beauty!!!!

pete

The dimensions are 13" x 9" and I did draw the pattern. I used Chan Geer's pattern drawing instructions to get the ideas.

The lace is 3/32" wide and I used an 8 stitch per inch wheel spacer and punched each slit with a lacing nipper.

Marlon

lace_book.jpg

post-3307-1213221679_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rawhide

THanks everyone for your comments. It was a fun project to make.

To answer the questions:

The dimensions are 13" x 9" and I did draw the pattern. I used Chan Geer's pattern drawing instructions to get the ideas.

The lace is 3/32" wide and I used an 8 stitch per inch wheel spacer and punched each slit with a lacing nipper.

Marlon

Wow! 8 stitch per inch lacing. Bet that took you a couple minutes to finish.

Good job, Marlon! I really like the way you do your initials.

Kathy

love that rich color...great job from start to finish...

Good job, Marlon! I really like the way you do your initials.Kathy
Thanks Kathy. Got that from "Tony Montana" aka Scarface. I just made the "T" into an "F". I think I like that insignia. I know it's not really original, but...Marlon
Wow! 8 stitch per inch lacing. Bet that took you a couple minutes to finish.
Boy did it ever!!. It wasn't too bad. I laced about 6" to 10" per night, for about 4 nights, maybe five, I didn't really pay much attention.M
love that rich color...great job from start to finish...
Thanks LeatherNut!!

Marion,

Very nice work.

Outstanding job on the lacing.

Did the lacing take as long as the tooling?

Johnny

Marion,

Very nice work.

Outstanding job on the lacing.

Did the lacing take as long as the tooling?

Johnny

Thank you. and yes, maybe longer for this piece.

Marlon

Who's the Author/Publisher of that Book?

I normally use 'Bush Leatherwork' by Ron Edwards (or more specifically, the 'Leather Lacing' Section of it, which has Instructions for 12 Styles), but what you've done ther looks great and I wouldn't mind getting one of those Books myself :-)

Very nice, Marlon! Ohh to be able to design *sigh*

With the 3/32" lace- what size nippers do you use? I have seen one in the Tandy catalog, but it is 1/8".

Keep 'em coming.

Crystal

Wow Marlon :You_Rock_Emoticon:  There is nothing about this piece that I do not love. The two tone lacing offsets the overall color. Beautiful Sheridan carve to top it all off.

Storm

Edited by Storm

I normally use 'Bush Leatherwork' by Ron Edwards (or more specifically, the 'Leather Lacing' Section of it, which has Instructions for 12 Styles), but what you've done ther looks great and I wouldn't mind getting one of those Books myself :-)

You can get that book from Tandy.

Hilly is right you can get that from tandy. I don't know the author, but I like the pictures that accompany the instructions. It's very clear. It's only about 6 bucks at tandy.

Very nice, Marlon! Ohh to be able to design *sigh*

With the 3/32" lace- what size nippers do you use? I have seen one in the Tandy catalog, but it is 1/8".

Keep 'em coming.

Crystal

Design...it's really not that hard. I just followed the instructions. As for the nipper, I used the Tandy one. The thing is when you punch the hole, the hole is so thin that 3/32 fits perfectly. 1/8 is only a hair wider so the 1/8 lace will either stretch the hole a little or it will compress a little to fit. either lace will do well with the tandy nipper. However, i did sharpen and polish it and that makes a world of difference when using it.

Marlon

Dude I just love this. Very nice and classy.

sorry for the late reply I've been out of town. Thanks for the compliment spider.
sorry for the late reply I've been out of town. Thanks for the compliment spider.

I remember seeing this one in the earlier post and thinking this will be a very nice notebook but man I did not picture the two tone lacing so it was just a very nice surprise effect to me when opening this thread.

Very impressive, someone mentioned you have quite the control over your tool and I can just agree with that, very sharp tooling.

The backgrounding looks really really smooth, I love that.

Tom

I remember seeing this one in the earlier post and thinking this will be a very nice notebook but man I did not picture the two tone lacing so it was just a very nice surprise effect to me when opening this thread.

Very impressive, someone mentioned you have quite the control over your tool and I can just agree with that, very sharp tooling.

The backgrounding looks really really smooth, I love that.

Tom

thanks Tom. I used to have fairly choppy backgrounding, but ever since I switched to Barry King's backgrounders, I've been extremely pleased with the ease of backgrounding. Now if i can just get that bargrounding down....

Marlon