Casey Jordan

Custom Engraved Barry King Swivel Knife

Here's a couple pictures of a Barry King Swivel Knife I gouged on a little. It has the same pattern on both sides.

I ordered two swivel knifes from Barry that had smooth barrels.

It has been a while since I have engraved and wanted to do some practice on something besides an order.

It was a little harder than I thought it would be. Imagine wrapping a piece of leather around a pencil and then trying to tool it !!!!!

I have another smaller one to try next time. Might try a different pattern on it.

post-7801-051387400 1316985395_thumb.jpg

post-7801-068999600 1316985407_thumb.jpg

post-7801-003124700 1316985426_thumb.jpg

post-7801-068384300 1316985436_thumb.jpg

post-7801-058504600 1316985448_thumb.jpg

Looks great man. I was recently on a engraving forum doing some scroll research and that looks like a really cool craft. Gotta try and not think about it or Ill have another hobby I cant afford.

Looks amazing

Great lookin' job Casey! I've been engraving for a couple of year and I can totally appreciate what you are saying about engraving on those cylindrical barrels. It's still a challenge for me to make it look ok on a flat piece but I've tried something domed or round it's a whole other story. That takes some getting used to. I also know what you're saying about working on something besides an order. I've been tooling leather a long time and it's kind of second nature now but it's different with the engraving and like you I get busy doing something other than engraving and get away from it for awhile and it's kind of like starting over when I go back to it. I realize I need to be doing some engraving everyday!

Great job, those will be heirlooms!

Bill

Great job Casey, it looks super nice!

MADMAX,

If you do decide to take up engraving I would strongly suggest going to the GRS Engraving school, well worth the money and cuts down the learning curve by years.

You do some nice leather work and it really helps with pattern layout and design. Like leather work it will pay for itself.......................someday!!! I'm not there yet.

Heligan,

Thanks for your comments! I appreciate it!

gringobill,

I agree with everything you said! I really need to engrave more and keep in practice. Just a week or two and it's like starting over again.

I wish I had more time to engrave.

I noticed you did the silver on the briefcase you made, do you have a better picture of the silver? Very nice briefcase by the way!!!!

Rusty,

Thanks for the complements!

That is really cool Casey.............I have room in my collection if you ever want to let one go.

That is really cool Casey.............I have room in my collection if you ever want to let one go.

I would love to have one in your collection! I know you would be able to "Train" it the right way! spoton.gif

Of course I would have to personalize it a little for ya! Initials, logo, makers mark??? handpiece.gif

Looks very nice Casey. What tools do you use for engraving? I've always been fascinated and have done woodcarving so it may be right up my alley (like I need another hobby!) ;)

Chris

WOW ..great work Casey

Looks very nice Casey. What tools do you use for engraving? I've always been fascinated and have done woodcarving so it may be right up my alley (like I need another hobby!) ;)

Chris

Chris,

I use a GraverMax SC from GRS. It's an air assisted engraving system. As I told MADMAX I would sure suggest the GRS engraving school.

You do very nice leather work on bikes and you could add engraving too! I think doing leather work sure helped me out with the engraving, and it will help you too.

When I took the school (1 week) I bought all the items I needed before I went home. I had to buy EVERYTHING because I had never engraved before and had absolutely no engraving tools.

I bought the GraverMax, microscope, engraver handles, gravers....for a total of $4800.00 in 2007. You could get away without the microscope ($1800.00+) but I felt I would need it for miniature work, and I'm sure happy I bought it.

Here's a couple links for their websites.http://www.grstrainingcenter.com/ http://www.grstools.com/

If you (or anyone ) have any other question I can help you with you can PM me.

WOW ..great work Casey

Thanks Martin! I'm trying to find more time to practice. Just need to engrave more to get better.

Yes, GRS is great engraving system. I try it in Loveland under professional supervision of Mrs. Diane Scalese. I would like to have it in my workshop, because i very interested in this work. But how you say....so little time

Once again-Good work, good design

Martin

Yes, GRS is great engraving system. I try it in Loveland under professional supervision of Mrs. Diane Scalese. I would like to have it in my workshop, because i very interested in this work. But how you say....so little time

Once again-Good work, good design

Martin

Diane was my instructor at GRS. She is very good at engraving and is very good at instructing so you can understand what she is teaching.

The class was well worth the time and money spent!!!!

Hope to see ya in Loveland again this year!

Chris,

I use a GraverMax SC from GRS. It's an air assisted engraving system. As I told MADMAX I would sure suggest the GRS engraving school.

You do very nice leather work on bikes and you could add engraving too! I think doing leather work sure helped me out with the engraving, and it will help you too.

When I took the school (1 week) I bought all the items I needed before I went home. I had to buy EVERYTHING because I had never engraved before and had absolutely no engraving tools.

I bought the GraverMax, microscope, engraver handles, gravers....for a total of $4800.00 in 2007. You could get away without the microscope ($1800.00+) but I felt I would need it for miniature work, and I'm sure happy I bought it.

Here's a couple links for their websites.http://www.grstrainingcenter.com/ http://www.grstools.com/

If you (or anyone ) have any other question I can help you with you can PM me.

Thanks Casey, I'm going to have to play with this some. I actually have a TurboCarver II with metal etching burrs and some folks on their forums have done some cool things with them in softer metals. I may play with that first to see how I like it and then work up to the big boy toys. ;) I did a good deal of 3D relief woodcarving on my woodturnings years back so between that and leatherwork I may have a good headstart.

"Tormento del Viento" - relief/filigree carved White Birch vase:

post-10543-085022600 1317246137_thumb.jp

Beautiful work Rusty...Totally Amazing :thumbsup:

Edited by Tina

Chris,

I also have the same Turbocarver and it can remove material but it is a rotary instrument versus a hammer instrument like the GRS or Lindsay gravers. Some of the people on the engraving forums do use some rotary tools to remove backgrounds and so forth but the rotary tools do not give you the same fine level of control.

I bought the Turbocarver for egss and erosion bowls.

Regards,

Ben

Chris,

I also have the same Turbocarver and it can remove material but it is a rotary instrument versus a hammer instrument like the GRS or Lindsay gravers. Some of the people on the engraving forums do use some rotary tools to remove backgrounds and so forth but the rotary tools do not give you the same fine level of control.

I bought the Turbocarver for egss and erosion bowls.

Regards,

Ben

Thanks for the feedback Ben. I thought that might be the case as some of the examples I have seen on various engraving websites have minute details that amaze me. Unfortunately it will be quite a awhile before I could afford a graver as I need a sewing machine more right now...always something! ;)

Chris

I read the title and thought "why bother?"

Then I looked at the pics - Gorgeous work! Now I know why ;0)

Chris,

Too many areas to chose to work in... I understand fully. I have been accused of having way too many interests. I still need to get some tabletop machining tools (mill/lathe), a graver set and other odds and ends. Of course there are new sharpening systems to acquire as well for gravers. :innocent:

Regards,

Ben

Really nice Casey!!!

Chris,

That is one really nice vase, I like it!!! I'm not familiar with your equipment but could be fun to see what else you can do with it.

Tina,

I think you were talking to me... Thank You!!!!!!

McJeep,

I'm glad you looked, appreciate your comments!

Hidepounder

You wouldn't want to come over and "TRAIN" it for me...........while I watch???evillaugh.gif

Casey,

It is a fairly versatile rotary carver. I used it for marble and glass etching, scrimshaw, erosion bowls (kind of like Chris's vase) and initially as a rotary burr for a knockoff Rose lathe.

It is also used for eggs, glass, gourds, pottery, wood carving and so much more. Go here and see lots of creative examples. Some are not so good but it still shows ideas.

Turbo Carver #1

You can go to the other two pages from this one. Enjoy.

As you can see not the same type of engraving on these materials. The GRS and Lindsay ones are more suited for engraving that you do.

Regards,

Ben

Edited by gtwister09

Casey,

It is a fairly versatile rotary carver. I used it for marble and glass etching, scrimshaw, erosion bowls (kind of like Chris's vase) and initially as a rotary burr for a knockoff Rose lathe.

It is also used for eggs, glass, gourds, pottery, wood carving and so much more. Go here and see lots of creative examples. Some are not so good but it still shows ideas.

Turbo Carver #1

You can go to the other two pages from this one. Enjoy.

As you can see not the same type of engraving on these materials. The GRS and Lindsay ones are more suited for engraving that you do.

Regards,

Ben

I have seen them but have never used one. In the right hands you can get some pretty nice items.

Thanks for the link.

Casey

This is slightly off-topic, but I had a thought this morning while re-reading this thread...the TurboCarver II is very precise and small with almost no tearout due to the high speed (400k RPM)...makes me wonder how it would handle in leather for doing extra fine lettering. I know it will take the grain off the area but using a sealer like resolene afterwards to stiffen any exposed flesh fibers should result in an interesting & different background. I will have to try this tomorrow!