Sign in to follow this  
McJeep

Running A Stylus Along A Cut Before Beveling - Do You?

So I was checking out a Tandy shop over on the mainland last week and discussing this and that about techniques. And checking out some beeeautiful european veg tan - had to pick on up to try it - feels like creamy butter - can't wait to see how it carves :)

Store guy said I should be running a stylus along my carved lines before beveling up to them? Never seen nor heard this mentioned anywhere else so I thought I'd ask here.

Do you? Should I? How much of a difference will it make?

Thanks in advance from a newb ;0)

Rob

Only problem I have with running the stylus or a modeling tool in the cut is, it seems to make the inner layer of the cut show more than I like. Appears as a lighter shade of leather.

Might make it a little easier to bevel when first starting with leather work.

ferg

So I was checking out a Tandy shop over on the mainland last week and discussing this and that about techniques. And checking out some beeeautiful european veg tan - had to pick on up to try it - feels like creamy butter - can't wait to see how it carves :)

Store guy said I should be running a stylus along my carved lines before beveling up to them? Never seen nor heard this mentioned anywhere else so I thought I'd ask here.

Do you? Should I? How much of a difference will it make?

Thanks in advance from a newb ;0)

Rob

Only problem I have with running the stylus or a modeling tool in the cut is, it seems to make the inner layer of the cut show more than I like. Appears as a lighter shade of leather.

Might make it a little easier to bevel when first starting with leather work.

ferg

Maybe that's why he teaches it that way - being a beginner myself, I like to go slow and lightly to bevel tight to the cut before walking the edge with more weight - I find it helps the tool track the line better and I don't walk off the cut then. Might be able to just step up and pound away some day, but not yet ;0)

If I feel I've not cut as well as I'd like, i.e. as deeply, I find using a stylus "opens" the cut line better. But 99% I only cut and bevel. I do use a stylus to trace the pattern on with, though!

If I feel I've not cut as well as I'd like, i.e. as deeply, I find using a stylus "opens" the cut line better. But 99% I only cut and bevel. I do use a stylus to trace the pattern on with, though!

That's about all I use the stylus for as well - packing tape on the back of the paper pattern and stylus to trace with on cased leather - works for me :)

That's about all I use the stylus for as well - packing tape on the back of the paper pattern and stylus to trace with on cased leather - works for me :)

I always trace with a ball point pen that way I know where I've been. Plastic on the back of my pattern keeps it from getting ink on the leather.