markush

Logo Design For Makers Mark..help?

The quality of my holsters is starting to improve and I want to start stamping them with a makers mark. The problem is I am totally clueless on a design. I do know I want something other the oval with my name and city/state inside it. I've spent many hours looking through other people logos trying to spark some creativity but it just hasn't happen. At this point I think I just need someone that can come up with one for me. What are the options for someone who is challenged both creatively and financially?

Edited by markush

I just went thru the same dilemma I have a makers mark with my business name, city and state. but I wanted something more unique and less "craft" like. What is your business name?/ you could make a monogram, which is kinda what I ended up doing. Jeff at http://www.greyghostgraphics.com/stamps.html might be able to help also google images is great to give you ideas and you can filter for clip art as well.

The quality of my holsters is starting to improve and I want to start stamping them with a makers mark. The problem is I am totally clueless on a design. I do know I want something other the oval with my name and city/state inside it. I've spent many hours looking through other people logos trying to spark some creativity but it just hasn't happen. At this point I think I just need someone that can come up with one for me. What are the options for someone who is challenged both creatively and financially?

markush, FWIW form the old grumpy guy. To me, the first thing you need to do is come up with a name for your outfit. For me, it wasn't too hard, Ma and I (waaay back) bred Siamese cats, and a couple of things pointed me in the direction that I finally took. First, I like the furry little beggars. But mostly, there is nothing more disdainful than a cat that ignores you and walks away (cat sass), and second, I did (and maybe still do) things a bit differently than most. With a bit of disdain?, some say 'maybe', but I don't think so. The term "it's the cat's ass" was common in those days, so it just came together. Ma's first name starts with 'K' so it was incorporated, as she has the final say on design, color scheme, and the finished product. I drew my logo with a small ball stylus for years until Ma got me to order a stamp. Think about your likes, hobbies (other than leather, maybe), interests, nicknames, etc. Keep thinking and even ask your friends ...... something will come up. Don't rush it, all of a sudden something will strike your fancy. I do suggest that you keep it simple. Mine, some (many) say, is OVERsimplified ..... but it works for me.

Off the subject, I have always said that 'cats is like wimmin, they'll take advantage of you every chance they git'. Leatherwork can get that way, but here's proof of my statement. (This was back when I had some hair and no pot belly) Hope this gets things working in you imagination and helps a bit. Mike

002-11.jpg

I don't have a business/business name. If I did get a sellers permit/tax ID I'd just list it under my name. I started making a couple holsters just for myself and am thinking that I may try to sell a couple and if I do I want my name on them somehow.

Just using my initials would be good but I don't want some plain ol block letters. I would want something with a little pizazz. But even when it comes to my initials I'm so uncreative it's embarrassing. I'm so uncreative that my user name is my first name and last initial, as is my email address :huh: . MSH would be the initials I'd use. I've tried to intertwine them in various ways but...well...I started this thread because I didn't get anywhere.

Thanks for that Mike...I've tried most of that...using hobbies, likes, ECT. I've even given it time! I used to make custom knives, oh 15 years ago, and tried to come up with some sort of name/makers mark starting way back then...I settled on the oval with my name and city/state for that...

Edited by markush

I get bored at work quite a bit so I'll make some doodles for you later today to see if I can help. Mine came along similar to Mike's, I have three dogs and I also mainly work in three mediums (leather, wood & metal). I wanted something that would fit/stick with my clientele, mainly Harley & large Honda cruiser riders, so I came up with "Three Mutts Customs" which has worked out. The hard part was coming up with a logo that worked not only as a maker's mark but also on letterhead, stickers/decals, shirts, hats, etc. After two months of playing with designs and getting some input from a design college student I met on Etsy this is what I came up with:

th_3_Mutts_Logo_outline_outside.jpg

Same thing for my leather burnisher website, I wanted something that was eye catching, recognizable but simple to execute. In the end, the best and most straight-forward logo was simply a burnisher & leather edge in profile:

logo_paypal_invoice.jpg

Until I can put up funds for another custom maker's mark though, this is what folks find on my work:

2010-12-05193101.jpg

Edited by Spinner

I didn't want block letters either so I google image searched for different letter fonts. I came up with this and Jeff at Grey Ghost helped me finalize it. I just couldn't think of a good design that woud allow me to keep my name and still look expensive. After all if you are paying me $500 for a bag then it should look nice. I figured a simple monogrammed letter would do. I plan on stamping it on the shoulder strap and then stamping my other makers mark on a piece of leather the size of a business card and sending it, that way I have my business name (Scary has been my nickname since I was very young) sent out with the product. The S is a form of old english or "black letter"

post-6407-087912600 1317781082_thumb.jpg

Names are not too hard to come up with, just think about your surroundings or maybe and incident or two. Ever had your car crunched? ..... Busted Ford Leather; got a single tree in your yard ....Lone tree Leather; ever 'over did' your steaks on the BBQ? .... Burnt Steak Leather; have a dog that loves to jump one you when you come home? .... Jumping Dawg Leather ......... live in a valley, Deep Valley Leather; Live in an area with a lot of trees .... Tall trees Leather, Many Trees Leather, Big trees, Skinny trees, Maple Trees, Pine Tree, Oak Tree, Dead Tree, Hanging Tree, etc. Live out on the flats .... Flatland Leather; Live in the city ... Big Towne Leather, Old Town Leather, Hometown Leather, are you left handed .... Southpaw leather, Lefty's Leather, Wrong Hand Leather; a nickname? Shorty's, Flash's, (I worked with a VERY rotund gentleman once, we called him 'Tinkerbell' , although that might not be too good). My son was called 'the kid from the shop' for years until he became a 6'4" 230# adult, but The Kid's Leather isn't too bad. This can go on and on. Just think around and out of the box, you'll be able to come up with something ... then on to a logo from there. Mike

Just be sure someone isn't already using the name you want (use Google).

As for logo design... if you don't have the abilities to do it yourself, find a good graphic designer and talk to them. But be warned, good design work costs good money. But a logo is important, and a poorly designed, amateurish logo is worse than none at all. A cheaper alternative is to just use the standard oval design until you can afford a good design.

Just be sure someone isn't already using the name you want (use Google).

As for logo design... if you don't have the abilities to do it yourself, find a good graphic designer and talk to them. But be warned, good design work costs good money. But a logo is important, and a poorly designed, amateurish logo is worse than none at all. A cheaper alternative is to just use the standard oval design until you can afford a good design.

My company name is Mountain Dog Gear, and I have a logo, but don't know how I'm going to simplify it yet to go on a maker stamp. I was thinking about a simple mountain design and maybe a silhouette of a dog's head or something, but I don't want it to get too busy... Here is my official logo for my company:post-26565-050330800 1322108917_thumb.jp

I'm in the same boat right now trying to come up with a makers mark. Where does one get the stamp made when they design one? I tried searching on here but haven't been having any luck.

Ebay has several "Maker" stamp makers....

I'm in the same boat right now trying to come up with a makers mark. Where does one get the stamp made when they design one? I tried searching on here but haven't been having any luck.

Ebay has several "Maker" stamp makers....

Thanks, I just found Grey Ghost and I'm gonna order from him.

Thanks, I just found Grey Ghost and I'm gonna order from him.

I got mine from D-bar leather, it is what someone on this forum recommended and I'm happy with it.