213 views and still no comments. I`m depressed.:no:

Vince don't be depressed. I think you have some fine work there. You might want to limit the number of pictures and as for some specific critiques.

Good luck,

CW

Welcome here

Great production. ....ralide trees?

Martin

Vince, just saw this post. I don't pretend to be the last word on the subject, but; like everyone, I do form opinions and the comments I will make are based on my opinion only. There are no hard fast rules as to what someone will or will not like. That is the perogative of the customer, and after all they are the ones that must like it. That said, there are a couple of things that I would do different, but ; again that is what I would do. Overall your work exhibits good technique and execution. With respect to the rear jockeys, I take a little more wedge out of the mating edges perhaps a 1/4" on each side before lacing, then wet slightly before draw spiking them in place. Then draw them in tight to the back of the cantle and let dry, paying particular attention to A) getting them centered over the skirts, and B) getting them down tight to the skirts. When done correctly they should lay flat and tight to the skirts over the back and down to the rigging. Also in the front I like to cut my front jockey/seat cover a little shorter than the front of the skirt as it comes out from under the fork. These are areas that I would do differently, however; like I have said earlier, it is a matter of what you and the customer want and like. Here a couple of pics of what I am talking about.

Bob

post-8161-011969800 1318516674_thumb.jpg

post-8161-067094800 1318517094_thumb.jpg

.... When done correctly they should lay flat and tight to the skirts over the back and down to the rigging.

Bob

BoB:

on the pictures, it seems that your back jockeys lay closer to the skirt edge than Vince'ones

i do not know if this is really the case or just a trick of the pictures

mines lay halfway between yours and Vince's ones.....

here is what i learnt :

back jockeys job is to distribute the weight over the saddle and hence the horse's back

but?

what's too short and what's too long?

i guess that if back jockeys were same length as skirts it would make this area too thick , not enough flexible and would causes troubles to the horse 's back

Am i wrong?

what if they're too short?

Vince :

you job looks rather fine to me

speaking of my own taste : i just do not like the horn of the 1st saddle because it looks too much like a phone post

and congrats for the flower carving !

(i am really not good at this)