Sign in to follow this  
horsewreck

Urine (Dog) On Saddle

OK boys and girls, I thought we should talk about some of the more glamorous aspects of saddle shop life. A lady just brought me a real nice 1994 world congress trophy saddle, that has been on display in a secluded corner of their den for all its years. The problem is for sometime a small family dog was relieving himself on the lower fender at the stirrup bend on the side next to the wall where it sat (fire the maid).

This brings me to my two questions. 1: What would you do to clean it up, and get the smell out?

2: How can I get my wife to do this job?

Any help would be appreciated especially on my second question....... Jeff

OK boys and girls, I thought we should talk about some of the more glamorous aspects of saddle shop life. A lady just brought me a real nice 1994 world congress trophy saddle, that has been on display in a secluded corner of their den for all its years. The problem is for sometime a small family dog was relieving himself on the lower fender at the stirrup bend on the side next to the wall where it sat (fire the maid).

This brings me to my two questions. 1: What would you do to clean it up, and get the smell out?

2: How can I get my wife to do this job?

Any help would be appreciated especially on my second question....... Jeff

Hi Jeff. I remember seeing a commercial about urine removal spray of some kind. Why don't you ask your local animal hospital what they use to get dog urine out? If all else fails, ask a hospital what takes urine out.

As to question #2... 'Bout the only way I can see your poor wife cleaning pee is if you were in a coma or worse. After all, that's what husbands are for, isn't it? :) :) :):P

Jeff,

I really can't help, you but I wouldn't worry about the smell. If they havn't noticed the smell of dog pee in 17 years I doubt they will notice it when they get the saddle back home.

If you get any responses on the second part of the question I would appreciate you passing it on. You made melaugh though.

CW

The only way I know to get your wife to do the job is to offer her an amount of cash she can't possibly refuse. Pet Smart or a store like it will have a spray you can use to remove the scent of the urine. A little saddle soap for the "stain" from the urine is where I would start.

Ewww! I don't know about getting the smell out but, of course lets ask the woman to do the dirty job!!:thumbsdown: Typical!

As to my first question, we first washed it off good with water. Then we scrubbed it with a soft brush with a mixture of Baking Soda and warm water. Lastly we gave it a coat of light oil and topped it off with a coat of Rudy's by Bee Natural. Looks good with only minor staining remaining.

As to my second question, that's was just a "joke"....... have a great day! :rolleyes: Jeff

But Jeff, you say "we". Who really was the other part of the we??? :)

Denise,

The" we" around our shop means the same thing as the" we" around your shop. My wife of 36 years is the only other person in the shop besides "me". As you know few couples can live and work side by side day in day out and stay married. Kathy and I have ranched and or run this business as a team for all the years we have been married. She is also the best cowboy I have ever worked with. This past week "we" have built a rifle scabbard, two belts, a bible cover, healed one horse wreck saddle, and cleaned up a dog urine issue. Kathy also did our bookkeeping, deposits, took care of her 97 year old mother and still had time to do some of her folk art that she is known for in our area, plus she teaches art two days a week to our local kids. "We" stay busy. I'm sure Rod feels the same way about you as I feel about my other half of "we".

By the way "I" forgot to mention in my last post that "we" soaped the urine area with Fiebing's white saddle soap, after we wash it with baking soda and before we put on the oil. Maybe if "I" had not written the post alone "we" would have gotten it right the first time.

Denise, thanks for giving me a chance to brag on my best friend....... have a great day....... Jeff

Edited by horsewreck

Jeff, It sounds like you and Kathy have a great marriage and a lot of fun working together. I know Rod and I do! Thanks for telling us about Kathy. She sounds like a really neat lady!

What other forum allows users to start out talking about urine on leather and end up talking about relationships? ..... Jeff

To whom it may concern.

We, Mary and I just learned that one way to remove unpleasant smells is to put charcoal briquetts ( think barbeque ) near it .

I realize this case has been solved long ago but other similar cases could come up.

In this case I would have put a few briquittes in a bag stuck the stirrup and leather in as far as it would go and tied it around for a couple days. Charcoal is used a lot of places to get rid of ouders. It might have worked .

One of the things we run into in our repair shop are saddle cleanings with manure and urine removal and stain removal. We apply a good grade of liquid glycerin saddle soap and brush it in with a soft tooth brush creating a good layer of suds. Followed by rinsing it off with clean clear water. While we are rinsing it off we use a Wet-Vac to remove the water and to prevent any of the dirt and or foreign materials returning to the leather. After drying we apply Harness Honey now called Leather Honey oil. If we have a stain problem we first match the color of the saddle on a piece of comparable scrap. Once we match the color we will do a dye blend on the area in need. Applying it on & immediately wiping it off until reaching our gold.

As far as your wife, let me know what works so I can try it on my wife.

To whom it may concern.

We, Mary and I just learned that one way to remove unpleasant smells is to put charcoal briquetts ( think barbeque ) near it .

I realize this case has been solved long ago but other similar cases could come up.

In this case I would have put a few briquittes in a bag stuck the stirrup and leather in as far as it would go and tied it around for a couple days. Charcoal is used a lot of places to get rid of ouders. It might have worked .