hivemind

Black And Gold Fantasy Armor

Some armor I'm working on for one of my guys. Torso finished:

DSC02140.JPG

DSC02142.JPG

DSC02143.JPG

DSC02144.JPG

DSC02145.JPG

Obviously, he's larger than my wife, who's modeling it.

And his fur cape is done too:

DSC02146.JPG

DSC02147.JPG

Nice work. Looks like you put a lot of hours in. The little touches are amazing, like the stingray cross, and the lacing on the shoulders. What is the weight of the leather for the various armor bits, or do you use different weights depending on what it is? And the fur is reindeer, yes?

(edit--it would really help if I watched my spelling! ouch! corrected)

Edited by WinterBear

It's all minimum 12oz vegetan for the black parts. The floating joints and some of the strapping is done with some gold garment leather, maybe 4oz. Cape is a reindeer fur - there's a guy selling them on eBay for $90 shipped, which is less than I paid for one a few years ago from Moscow Hide and Fur.

Thanks for looking. :)

Hehe, I think I know which guy's company you're talking about--I just bought some kudu horns to kit out for Wood Badge.

By the way, would you mind if I picked your brains at some point? I'm to build the Lions Club a new costume and was considering making the head partially or entire from leather. The old fake fur mascot lion head just can't take a beating and looks terrible and smells worse, so I'm thinking a leather would take being dropped a bit easier and if it gets soaped regularly it shouldn't smell too rank. But, I'm going to need help to make the base (essentially a helmet), and at this point, I have no clue where to begin.

Hmm...