Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Sca Sword Scabbard

I made a scabbard for my SCA rattan sword. Kind of a proof of concept to see if I want to keep making them.

DSC02152.JPG

DSC02153.JPG

DSC02154.JPG

DSC02155.JPG

DSC02156.JPG

DSC02157.JPG

Nice work. Interesting, non of us here in my local SCA group scabbard our swords, just belt holders in case we switch from pike to sword for the close stuff, but alot of dagger get the scabbard. These are done in a looser quick draw format for approved tourney fights and war. ( still sad winter is upon us and war season is over ) I am assuming no thrusting tip on that particular sword so you can keep the scabbard tight or is is realatively loose fitting for drawing it in war?

Did you harden it for a little extra hip protection or just armour weight?

Keep up the good work and thinking outside the box. That is what keeps our game interesting.

The sword has a Mandrake rubber stabbing tip. It's only 6-7oz leather, so no real protection either - it's purely aesthetic (and convenient). I plan to also make a seax in a sheath as a backup weapon.

We are just using close cell foam with enough compression for our thrusties. What is the madrake rubber and where do you get it? If it keeps the ugly factor of my sword down I would like to try it.

Thank you for the info.

OK answered my own question it is a heavy vulcanized rubber.

Edited by Dmitri

Very nice scabbard