Matthew S

Die Cutter

My girlfriend is interested in getting a die cutter for scrapbooking and to make our wedding invitations. After doing some research it appears that some of these cutters can cut leather, but the maximum thickness is a little unclear (I am trying to reach the manufacturers). Anyone have any experience with leather and non-industrial die cutters?

Specifically, we are looking at Black Cat Cougar and Boss Kut Gazelle.

The specs seem to indicate that it will optimally cut 1 mm, and there is some indication that it will cut up to 3 mm with multiple cuts or passes. Just looking to see if anyone has used something similar and what the experiences have been.

Matt

My girlfriend is interested in getting a die cutter for scrapbooking and to make our wedding invitations. After doing some research it appears that some of these cutters can cut leather, but the maximum thickness is a little unclear (I am trying to reach the manufacturers). Anyone have any experience with leather and non-industrial die cutters?

Specifically, we are looking at Black Cat Cougar and Boss Kut Gazelle.

The specs seem to indicate that it will optimally cut 1 mm, and there is some indication that it will cut up to 3 mm with multiple cuts or passes. Just looking to see if anyone has used something similar and what the experiences have been.

Matt

from the Cougar website

When it comes to cutting the Cougar is virtually unstoppable. With 900 grams of pressure it will get through an amazingly long list of materials. The usual suspects are of course on that list – cardstock, vinyl, velum, etc. – but consider the family of projects you can create when your die cutting machine can carve precise shapes into rubber, leather, sponge and even faux fur. You can create your own rubber stamps, promote your business with a set of customized magnets and create amazing scrapbooking layouts. We like the versatility of the Cougar in its feeding options. You can cut large quantities out of any material that comes in a roll or you can cut one page at a time.

it does leather or so it says

Michael

from the Cougar website

When it comes to cutting the Cougar is virtually unstoppable. With 900 grams of pressure it will get through an amazingly long list of materials. The usual suspects are of course on that list – cardstock, vinyl, velum, etc. – but consider the family of projects you can create when your die cutting machine can carve precise shapes into rubber, leather, sponge and even faux fur. You can create your own rubber stamps, promote your business with a set of customized magnets and create amazing scrapbooking layouts. We like the versatility of the Cougar in its feeding options. You can cut large quantities out of any material that comes in a roll or you can cut one page at a time.

it does leather or so it says

Michael

I have no doubt that it cuts leather, but I am trying to figure out what the limits are when it comes to how thick it can cut. What I have found out so far is that it can definitely cut up to about 3 Oz. anything thicker is an unknown.

Thanks for trying, though.