drphil

Figure Carving Tools . . .

Hey all,

I have recently started working on figure carving. I have acquired a number of stamping tools, mostly new from Tandy. The figure bevelers work fine and such, but I am having real difficulty with more speciality tools. For instance the F916 and the F926 just don't stamp right. F916 should work to make grass and such, but mostly instead of producing lines it nearly matts the leather with small line indentions. I know that this is due to the fact that these are crappy tools. So, my real question is, where can I get some decent figure carving tools? From my research here at LW.net I can only find reference to Robert Beard's figure tools. I DONT have that kind of money to spend. So I am wondering if there are any cheaper decent figure tools? Is my best option to try and get some old craftool figure stamps from e-bay (which probably means I will have to spend big $$ and then have to sell off duplicates)? Are there no median priced figure tool makers? I can find a couple of craftools from proleathercarvers.com but not nearly all the ones I need. Anyone have some they want to part with? Thanks for any help.

go to springfield leather company google it and you'll find some good stuff

I was having much of the same problem as you. I found that the tools were not the best that you can get, but the biggest problem was me. I bought some more expensive tools with much the same outcome. I then did more research and found that I was not using the tools right and that there were other ways of getting the same outcome that were more productive. There are some great video tutorials on Tandy's site (the cost lest than 10.00 for a full month of viewing) that were great and worth every penny, some great videos on u-tube and for sale videos by some of the greatest artists in leather. The biggest thing I learned was that Old Dogs can learn new tricks.

I have had good luck on EBay. Look for the ones made before 1969. The older the better. Craftool Co. with no number made in 1950's. Craftool Co. with number only, made before 1963. Craftool Co. with letter and number 1963-1968. Craftool Co.USA made after 1969. after this most craftools are junk.

Your best bet would be Clay Miller Tools. He makes some great tools and will also make figure carving tools. he is reasonably priced and quality is right up there! He can be found on here or his facebook page. Good luck

the tools from springfield are mostly craft tools and the smooth figure tools for matting are terrible and leave line impressions but I love everything else at springfield just don't get the craft tools alot of them are good but those one's are no good

You can check at DoubleKLeather.com, which is now carrying all the Hidecrafter tools. They have ProCraft as their economy line, and also carry Barry King tools. The BK are running in the $25-30 range.

Paul Burnett, (RIP) wrote an article about the F926 and the struggles he had with replacing a lost one with a similar tool after Tandy switched from hand ground tools to Cast tools. The trouble was that the points and overall shape was different. The points were blunt and the heal was convex instead of concave, etc. He had a few people attempt a remake but was dissatisfied with the results.

It took me ages but I finally got my hands on a Craftool USA F926 at a good price. Nice sharp points do make a difference.

More than half my tools are from Clay. Highly recommended!

Well i won't be buying from Double K Leather. $15.00 shipping for a beveler. To rich for my blood.

Edited by dirtclod