mlapaglia

Is The Tippman Boss For Me?

Hi,

I make belts, holsters, some soft cases, sheaths, guitar straps etc. I will soon have $2000.00 to purchase a machine. Is the Boss worth it for me. I doubt I will get above 2-3 items a week. Its a hobby not a business. Power or lack of power is not an issue. Machine size is an issue. The Boss is a great size for my area. I do not have enough room for a separate machine table.

From what I can see I can get the Boss and the needed accessories and supplies for the money I have.

Is this a good idea or is there a better machine I should look at.

Thanks

Michael

I would call Cobra Steve and visit with him. Class 3 and 4 stitchers have casters and are so handy in small areas. He might even have a used machine for your budget. I am sure you will NOT be disappointed with one of his machines. Just my 2 cents worth. Ken

Hi,

I make belts, holsters, some soft cases, sheaths, guitar straps etc. I will soon have $2000.00 to purchase a machine. Is the Boss worth it for me. I doubt I will get above 2-3 items a week. Its a hobby not a business. Power or lack of power is not an issue. Machine size is an issue. The Boss is a great size for my area. I do not have enough room for a separate machine table.

From what I can see I can get the Boss and the needed accessories and supplies for the money I have.

Thanks

Michael

Hi,

I make belts, holsters, some soft cases, sheaths, guitar straps etc. I will soon have $2000.00 to purchase a machine. Is the Boss worth it for me. I doubt I will get above 2-3 items a week. Its a hobby not a business. Power or lack of power is not an issue. Machine size is an issue. The Boss is a great size for my area.

Thanks

Michael

Michael, you have answered your own question "I do not have enough room for a separate machine table." I don't know of a better machine for the hobbyist.

There are two versions of the Boss. The first edition is made of cast iron the new version is made of aluminum. If I were going to buy one of the machines I would get a used cast iron with the bench and table and with any accessories that comes with the machine. I can't recall what Tippman charges to rebuild one of their machines I think it around a 100 so I wouldn't worry about one being wore out, that is if you decide to get a used machine. Good luck to ya'.

FWIW, . . . I have an aluminum Boss, . . . got it in '06 or '07, . . . not sure which.

Like you, . . . belts, holsters, knife sheaths, a couple of purses (ugh!!), guitar straps, and the occasional "fix" for a saddle, halter, etc.

My Boss has served me quite well, . . . and the Tippmann service has been the best.

I love the idea that I can take it to someone's barn if I need to, . . . all I need is one flat board and a "C" clamp, . . . I'm in businness.

When not being used, . . . it is off my desk and on the floor under it. My desk also is my cutting table, . . . stamping table, . . . etc.

My favorite part is that I can dictate to the machine the exact point I want that needle to insert the stitch, . . . a sometimes near impossibility with other type machines. I've been sewing for roughly 50 years, . . . and if I could only own one leather sewing machine, . . . it would be the Boss.

The only "downside" is I really have to brew a good pot of coffee and get really psyched up whenever I start sewing on of those 50+ inch belts or cowboy rigs. The old arm gets a bit tired from all that, . . . just wish I had a Krispy Creme store next door, . . . that would make those long belts go easier. :rolleyes2:

May God bless,

Dwight

Michael, you have answered your own question "I do not have enough room for a separate machine table." I don't know of a better machine for the hobbyist.

There are two versions of the Boss. The first edition is made of cast iron the new version is made of aluminum. If I were going to buy one of the machines I would get a used cast iron with the bench and table and with any accessories that comes with the machine. I can't recall what Tippman charges to rebuild one of their machines I think it around a 100 so I wouldn't worry about one being wore out, that is if you decide to get a used machine. Good luck to ya'.

Thanks Ken and Busted for the information.

Michael.

Dwight,

Thanks for the information. I was wondering about the 50+ belts. Of course right now I have the solution for those, I'm sending them to you :innocent:. Ill send a Starbucks card in with the belts when I send them out.

I wont be getting the Tippman before at least the first of the year. Need to get the rest of the bills paid up. My wife has this strange belief that I cant buy toys till the bills are paid. But I will be getting one when my check rolls around in January.

I'm glad to see you think its a good machine. I appreciate the wisdom.

Michael

FWIW, . . . I have an aluminum Boss, . . . got it in '06 or '07, . . . not sure which.

Like you, . . . belts, holsters, knife sheaths, a couple of purses (ugh!!), guitar straps, and the occasional "fix" for a saddle, halter, etc.

My Boss has served me quite well, . . . and the Tippmann service has been the best.

I love the idea that I can take it to someone's barn if I need to, . . . all I need is one flat board and a "C" clamp, . . . I'm in businness.

When not being used, . . . it is off my desk and on the floor under it. My desk also is my cutting table, . . . stamping table, . . . etc.

My favorite part is that I can dictate to the machine the exact point I want that needle to insert the stitch, . . . a sometimes near impossibility with other type machines. I've been sewing for roughly 50 years, . . . and if I could only own one leather sewing machine, . . . it would be the Boss.

The only "downside" is I really have to brew a good pot of coffee and get really psyched up whenever I start sewing on of those 50+ inch belts or cowboy rigs. The old arm gets a bit tired from all that, . . . just wish I had a Krispy Creme store next door, . . . that would make those long belts go easier. :rolleyes2:

May God bless,

Dwight

If you have 2K to spend on a machine, why not get as much machine as you can get for it?

My Cowboy....I know, I don't really want to sound like a fan boy, but I guess I am....anyway, my CB3500 takes up roughly 3' x 3' of space in my shop.

I thought a Boss was the machine for me too when I went looking for one...then I was introduced to the CB3500 and realized what a wonderful thing electricity is.

$1700 out the door....just my take on it.

i had a boss and now have had my cobra for about 2 weeks. tippman gave me excellent service and walked me through any problems i might have had. most were caused by me. steve has also given me excellent service so far. that being said it sure is nice to have both hands free. cobra will go as slow as the boss if you turn the speed control down. also i will not have a machine without reverse. get the best machine you feel comfortable spending your hard earned dollar on

I am a huge fan of the Tipman Boss. That said, I sold mine after a year and bought sewing machines. I have to say it was because business increased and the need for a medium weight sewing machine as well as a heavy stitcher was a "must have" for things to look right.

You will get 90% of your money back when you sell the Boss, beginners and hobbyists will buy it after a few hours of listing it for sale.

If you are looking at increasing your production look at the smaller stitchers (Cobra 3, Artisan 3000, Cowboy 3500).

Check for used ones, Steve at Cobra had an Artisan 3000 (well under $2000.00) for a trade in I just picked up very reasonable, they are out there.

As usual we will say "The right tool for the job is the best" I sold my Boss (great machine) and have never looked back (it is almost the same money for a powered machine).

And after a few months, your right arm will shrink to the same size as your left!! :rofl: You will no longer fear the double stitched "Big Boy Gun Belt" at 50 plus inches! Just charge your $15.00 extra and push the pedal!!!

Just my .02 cents

Rick

All great suggestions. My problem is the Boss seems to be the only one that will fit in my area. I don't have the 3X3 space to put a powered machine in. I do have a large table, seats 6, that is my "shop" I need something I can C-clamp the mounting board to the table and when I dont need it it's down the hall in the closet. If I can find the room then Id agree and buy a powered machine. Until then it looks like the Boss is what I will have to get.

Thank you one and all for the suggestions and information. From what I gathered the Boss will do what I need but there are better ways to do the same thing if and when I get the room.

Michael

I have two Boss' both bought used and they have sewed now over 4,000 holsters + misc belts, mag pouches etc. I have a aerostitch that I now do belts on and liners for western rigs that due to size are a bit complicated on the Boss. Even with a powered machine I still do 90% of holsters on the Boss for much the same reasons that Dwight stated. They are dirt simple to work on. That is if you ever need to the only thing I have broken is a presser foot cable and three needles.

Sounds like the boss will serve you well. I just bought one this month (used for $800) and within an hour of getting it I had it set up and running great. If your only doing a few things a week and smaller stuff like holsters and belts, its a great machine! I love mine. If I ever need anything all I have to do is call Tippmann and we can figure it out I'm sure.

-Nate

I have two Boss' both bought used and they have sewed now over 4,000 holsters + misc belts, mag pouches etc. I have a aerostitch that I now do belts on and liners for western rigs that due to size are a bit complicated on the Boss. Even with a powered machine I still do 90% of holsters on the Boss for much the same reasons that Dwight stated. They are dirt simple to work on. That is if you ever need to the only thing I have broken is a presser foot cable and three needles.

Sounds like the boss will serve you well. I just bought one this month (used for $800) and within an hour of getting it I had it set up and running great. If your only doing a few things a week and smaller stuff like holsters and belts, its a great machine! I love mine. If I ever need anything all I have to do is call Tippmann and we can figure it out I'm sure.

-Nate

Thank you both. That is what I wanted to hear.

Anyone know the weight of the Cast Iron model?

Michael

Thank you both. That is what I wanted to hear.

Anyone know the weight of the Cast Iron model?

Michael

The cast iron model is right at 40lbs the aluminum cast is right at 25 lbs. The cast iron model, from my perspective, offers nothing of advantage over the aluminum cast one and while not hard to do should be retrofitted with the thread take up arm tension spring.

I picked up a used Boss from another member here, and even in the 2-4 projects/ week range, it paid for itself in about 3.5 months. I am looking forward to a powered machine for things like belts and rifle slings, but for now....the Boss is sitting on the corner of my work table. There's only been a few items I haven't been able to sew with it, due to the throat size. One of the things I did to make mine more stable was to mount the sewing machine to a base I made from wood. I bought a 12 x 48 piece of wood from Lowes, cut the board in half, drilled the bolt holes, and mounted the machine to one piece. The second piece became the bottom of the base, complete with felt pads to prevent scuffing. The result is that the machine is still portable, but can be placed on a counter/table top even without the clamps (but they're still recommended). There's additional room behind the machine that makes a great little mounting point for the accessories box. One of the best things I've done is mount a small eye screw behind the machine and use a small bungee cord to tension the thread for the first stitch.

One downside to MY machine is that either it doesn't like adjustments, or I haven't figured it out. I've pretty well settled on a thread thickness, and stitch length and that's where it stays. Material thickness dictates tensions, but most of my stitching can be adjusted with only the primary tensioner.