Sign in to follow this  

This is a belt I made for my son a couple of weeks ago. The pattern is by Carey Blanchard. It is 1.5" wide, with 1" billets, on 6/7 oz leather, lined with 6/7 oz, so it is a pretty heavy belt. Finish is Sheridan brown antique on top of Neatlac and sealed with Tankote. It is machine stitched with a Boss.

Critiques welcome - I am always wanting to hear what other folks do. Did anybody else try this pattern? It was provided by the Leather Crafter's Journal with a subscription renewal notice.

robert

PS. Happy Fathers Day to you dads.

IMG_4765.JPG

IMG_4766.JPG

post-4979-1213563164_thumb.jpg

post-4979-1213563181_thumb.jpg

Great looking belt Robert, keep it up. Rusty

Beautifully done. Like how you finished off the inside with decorative carving. Bet he really liked it.

Storm

Very nice!

Todd

Robert,

Great job on the Sheridan pattern by Blanchard and i really like the decorative cuts on the inside. That reminds me of the post a couple of months ago by Keith Seidel he sold for $16,400. His was an acorn/oak leaf design and he had the decorative cuts inside. He had said he had about $6000 worth of custom silver on it.

What about the edges? Are your going to slick them. That would really finish it off professionally.

Keep up the good work.

John aka Indy

Edited by indypbear

robert , a very nice belt your son will be proud to weare that belt.........

why did you not slick the edges?

Indy, if anything about my belt reminded you in any way of the belt that Kieth had on here, I am very flattered :) . He does amazing work.

Carving the inside is easy . I don't do anything fancy, just a wave pattern - anybody that lines their belts can do it. It is a nice touch that draws compliments from your customers.

Re the slicking, I actually slicked the edges, but after a couple of weeks of wear those little furry edges come up - argggg! ... I dont seem to have a problem when I use an edge coat, but i just wanted to leave this one natural, so i rubbed it with water and a wooden slicker. On the few occasions I do that, I end up re-slicking after some wear. How do you folks slick natural edges? Any tips appreciated....

Thanks all, for the nice comments and for any ideas on slickingn (or anything else).

Use spit then slick gives a lovely edge, I got taught this at the weekend, you can then edge coat or not choice is yours. The guy told me it works due to amylase an enzyme in your split with breaks down structural polymers like starch to simple sugars. its a bit gross but boy does it work. use a bone folder to slick, gives a lovely smooth edge and plenty of control.

Use spit then slick gives a lovely edge,

LOL - I though I was the only one using spit. Yes, it does give a super slick edge.