Sign in to follow this  
leatherman1457

Looking For Anteater?

I am looking fopr a source for anteater. Does anyone know a source? If so please contact me and let me know. thank you. Gary

If you find it, be ready for the sticker-shock price for it. The last time I saw any of any size, approx one square foot, it was $400.... And that was from a long-time reputable source.

Anteater, if you can find it will be expensive as K-man said. They were added to the endangered species list in early 2007 so any hides you find now will either be remanants of pre-2007 stock or illegally poached hides. Illegal capture and trade of Pangolin Anteaters is still a big problem in Thailand & Malaysia, unless you can specifically identify the source of the hide, it's best not to buy them.

I was looking for some last year. One of the exotic sellers in Texas told me it was on the ESL. CITES issues aside from that, he gave me some more insight. His take was that there are still some older hides trading. His advice was that in his experience anteater gets brittle faster than some other leathers and depending on the quality of tannage and how it was stored tended to break along the seams between scales. Also it is a popular pattern for embossed cowhide and may be one of the more common leathers being sold as genuine when it is not. You just have to know your seller and trust them.