Spinner

Introduction To Coloring Leather

Just wanted to let folks know that I will be teaching a 2-hour class on November 19th from 1:30-3:30 at the Tandy Leather Factory in Baldwin Park, CA.

The class will go into some detail of the various products to color leather from dyes to acrylics, the methods to applying them from sponge to air brush and include info on how to bring depth to color jobs through shading, shadows & layering, two tone fades, masking, etc.

Cost is only $25 and students will get to take home the materials I'll be supplying everyone to try out and learn with.

Work space is limited so if you're interested in signing up, contact the store manager Jessica at: 626-813-1570

regards,

Chris

Wish I could go. Busy time of year for me. Good luck and let us know when you do another.

Wish I could go. Busy time of year for me. Good luck and let us know when you do another.

Will do. In talking to Jessica, this is something she plans on doing at least once or twice a month to provide more in depth teaching beyond the standard project based weekly classes. She and are going to talk that morning and during the class to see what other classes folks would be interested in from a more focused techniques stand-point versus general project based.

Cheers,

Chris

I have been searching this forum for hours looking for information on dyes, acrylics, etc., but can't find any. I am a newbie and have been using Eco-Flo Cova Color and it seems to work well for me. I accidentally ordered a couple bottles of Eco-Flo Leather dye and now I am wondering what is the difference in purpose. I tried both on a scrap and the dye is thinner and takes a few coats to cover as well. It also looks flat with no gloss, whereas the Cova Color covers better and has some sheen to it. Are there any advantages to using the dye instead of the Cova Color? Can they be mixed? And what about acrylics, spirit based dyes, etc? Is this information covered somewhere?

Thanks,

Ron

Good for you Spinner! Congrats on your class.....much success.

@Hosscomp ~ I would recommend that you go by your local leather retailer like Tandy LF and ask them to give you a quick tutorial on the dyes. They should all have samples of how it works on hand. Some TLF's have classes on dye on a month basis like our Tandy store in Austin.

Good luck

Good for you Spinner! Congrats on your class.....much success.

@Hosscomp ~ I would recommend that you go by your local leather retailer like Tandy LF and ask them to give you a quick tutorial on the dyes. They should all have samples of how it works on hand. Some TLF's have classes on dye on a month basis like our Tandy store in Austin.

Good luck

Thanks, Robb. I will check it out.

Ron