Sign in to follow this  
maui paniolo

Roo Lace

A friend wants me to make him a bosal out of roo.. got the body done; wants the nose button and heel knot, blue with white accents(wouldn't be my choice, but whatever). Bought the blue hide at sheridan leathers but it is thinner and softer than what I'm use to using. Having trouble getting the strings cut, hide side wants to wad up and I don't have enough hands to keep it straight and moving. I thought I had read on here about a combination of white gas and paraffin wax to soak the hide in then let it dry. Would this give it more stiffness?

Thanks Tony

Yeah it sure stiffens it up. Not sure what the concentrations of each are, but if by white gas you mean Kerosene, then yeah thats what I have heard works. Apparently it works really well to make any hides bevel better. I havent personally used this mostly because I dont want a bunch of kerosene lying around, and Im not sure how long it stays in the leather before it evaporates. I dont think it would be a long time, but I wouldnt want to put something into my tack room that was flammable lol. I would give it a try on a small section first or a piece of scrap.

CW

I am pretty new to lace cutting, practicing on cheap hide and scrap, and I ran across that problem. I turned the hide over and tried again and had much better results. I'm not sure if there is a reason I shouldn't do this but it worked.

Yeah it sure stiffens it up. Not sure what the concentrations of each are, but if by white gas you mean Kerosene, then yeah thats what I have heard works. Apparently it works really well to make any hides bevel better. I havent personally used this mostly because I dont want a bunch of kerosene lying around, and Im not sure how long it stays in the leather before it evaporates. I dont think it would be a long time, but I wouldnt want to put something into my tack room that was flammable lol. I would give it a try on a small section first or a piece of scrap.

CW

Got It cut, Got my wife to keep things lined out (keeps me lined out too). sure is nice lace.

White gas= Colman fuel. I'm also not fond of messing with the gas! Wonder how long the smell lasts? If it helps with beveling , I might try a sample and see how it goes.

Thanks Tony

Grant's encyclopedia gives proportions for the white gas/ parafin mixture near the introduction. He says that its used for "sizing sleazy leather". He also advises to use caution as the vapors hug the ground and can travel a considerable distance. If anyone here has any experience with meth labs (from the busting side) they will advise you that Grant is correct. When those vapors go, they go big. Not trying to discourage anyone, just be very very careful.

Grant's encyclopedia gives proportions for the white gas/ parafin mixture near the introduction. He says that its used for "sizing sleazy leather". He also advises to use caution as the vapors hug the ground and can travel a considerable distance. If anyone here has any experience with meth labs (from the busting side) they will advise you that Grant is correct. When those vapors go, they go big. Not trying to discourage anyone, just be very very careful.

Thanks blackhammer, found it on pg11

Tried the gas/wax this weekend. Worked good to firm it up and beveling it. braids nice, it was worth tring, and may do it again in the future. the only thing I did slightly different is I only soaked for about 10-15min and that seemed to be enough.

Tony

Nice. Glad it worked out so well for you. Still waitin on that saddle info btw! Ha!

Nice. Glad it worked out so well for you. Still waitin on that saddle info btw! Ha!

I Was going to go to US roping over Thanksgiving but my horse came up lame, so i'll try to do it then;)

Ahh man. Sorry to hear bout your horse. Is he hurt bad?