Sign in to follow this  
dfivdayz

Neon Green Thread?

i am in the search for neon green or toxic green thread for hand sewing a dog collar...i would like it to be as thick as sinew thread so that it's kinda thick....any help or idea's

thanks for any help

Maybe try the Thread Exchange? I know they have size 69 nylon in a color called Screamin Green. (Size 69 is a thick thread, you'd use about a size 18 needle on a home textile sewing machine to sew with that).

If you don't need a spool that big, I'm sure some of the other members might know of who have colored linen thread.

ive never used machine thread...i am only able to hand stitch....is the #69 thread close to the size of artificial sinew thread that you get from tandy?...i cant find a actual size on the #69 thread

thanks for helping

69 thread is way smaller than artificial sinew.

could you not lay a number of lengths together to get the thickness you require?

do you require it to have loads of strength........ we have what's known as 'anchor silk' (first link I could find) over here that comes in a myriad of colours and you can separate it into individual strands to get the thickness you require. I'm sure there is a similar thing over the pond that may fit the bill.

Waxed up I would think it would work fine - if you are worried about strength could you not double stitch it over your 'sinew'?

Your other options are perhaps to try finding an acceptable color in waxed linen, which is used by shoemakers and bookmakers (see Royalwood, Bookmakers,Starlit, etc.) or using unwaxed linen thread and dying it youself. Because flax/linen is a natural fiber it will accept most fabric dyes, although the absorption and binding of the dye will vary--some types of linen fibers just do not accept dye well. Rit dye would probably work, in concentrated amounts in small batches. You'd then have to make sure to dye and set each hank to make it as colorfast as possible, then twist and wax it yourself. You'd definitely want to make sure you have more than enough hand-dyed thread for your project, as you'll not be able to match the color again if you run out.

If it wasn't needed for critical strength (that is to say, just mainly a decorative stitch), I'd simply twist a heavier cord out of what I have if I can find a cord/thread thick enough to start with as a base cord and close enough in color (as long as it isn't common thin sewing thread--not enough strength and takes too long to make a decent cordage out of it). Jeans threads and linen cords work pretty well for twisting your own though, and some other natural fibers and thin cord/thick thread as well. I'd then follow by waxing the ever-living daylights out of it, sort of like how linen thread is prepped in the book "The Art of Hand-Sewing Leather" by Stohlman.

Edited by WinterBear

How about using a fishing line? They are availble in Neon green colour and it stays that way.

I have tried it with good results.

never thought about that.....does it tie well when you get to the end???

Yes, it does, use the line that is braided.

great idea about the fishing line. however, i don't think it will stand up to UV rays very well and might be a detrioration factor someday.

I hand-wax DMC embroidery thread and have had excellent results and no complaints. Plus, they are inexpensive; easy to find; and come in a ton of colors!

http://www.dmc-usa.com/Products/Needlework-Threads/Embroidery-Threads/Color-Variations.aspx

Neon Green is used in the safety industry so it is made. Whether you will find it in 277 or similar bonded nylon is another question but High Tenacity Polyester is a possibility. Amann Serafil in 10 or 15 ticket will come close.

i am in the search for neon green or toxic green thread for hand sewing a dog collar...i would like it to be as thick as sinew thread so that it's kinda thick....any help or idea's

thanks for any help