wayner123

Perpendicular Corners

Hello all,

I have run into a problem, and maybe it's a simple solution but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I am making a wallet and when I measure and cut, the angles of the corners keep getting off. The sides are parallel, but they are not perpendicular. How do you get the sides parallel, but also to be perpendicular? I have thought to use a square ruler, but the slightest movement when making the second cut will cause the angle to shift. This means that when I lay the parts of the wallet together I get overlap along the edge. I included an exaggerated picture to better describe the problem.

post-1546-026308900 1321462957_thumb.jpg

Hello all,

I have run into a problem, and maybe it's a simple solution but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I am making a wallet and when I measure and cut, the angles of the corners keep getting off. The sides are parallel, but they are not perpendicular. How do you get the sides parallel, but also to be perpendicular? I have thought to use a square ruler, but the slightest movement when making the second cut will cause the angle to shift. This means that when I lay the parts of the wallet together I get overlap along the edge. I included an exaggerated picture to better describe the problem.

Use a triangle like for drafting or a small square.

If you are measuring the layout simply measure diagonally, corner to corner. If it is the same length, it is square.

For repetive layouts, use a piece of clear plexiglass, cut to size. You can see through it to line it up.

Aaron

Get a cork backed square. The cork prevents it from slipping. The other option is to put weights on the square so it will not move while cutting. It just takes some practice once you have the right tools.

Hello all,

Use the square ruler and draw the lines with an awl, then cut, following the lines, with a sharp knife. This would help to control your cuts.

/ Knut

Thank you for all your help. I knew it would be something simple that I wasn't doing. I'll try the scratch awl solution first, and then go from there. I really like the plexi-glass idea too.