MartyS

Binder For Big Cylinder Arm Machines

I have been looking for some time to find a binder attachment for my big cylinder arm machine (441 clone) and I am wanting to know what type would work best for binding leather with leather.

I know that the right angle binders need a strong feed to work, but I don't understand what is a synchronized binder and when you would need one, nor where to find one.

Please see a binder in action at about 30 seconds into this video. Tanks Marty

Hi Marty,

I can't answer your question about what binder you'd need for leather...those are usually custom made to fit the project. Any of the sewing machine dealers on this forum should be able to help you.

I can tell you a little about synchronized binders... A machine with a synchronized binder has a binder on a moving arm (binder plate). On compound-feed machines (where you mostly see them) this arm moves with the walking foot & feed dog so the binder is always right next to the foot, ensuring even feeding around tight curves 'n' such. If you are binding things with tight curves a synchronized binder is a nice thing to have, but not essential.

This is a built-in feature and not something you can add to a machine--as far as I know. I don't believe they make a sub-class of 441 with a synchro binder...as they do for the 205. You can also see them on classes of Pfaff 335s and Consew 227s.

It's probably best to talk to someone who has experience binding leather and who could custom fit an attachment for you, but here's an idea of what they look like: http://www.kwokhing....hine/khf_cy.htm

And to see another synchro binder in action:

Best of luck.

cory

hi cory thanks for the reply. I wrote a while back to Kwokhing to ask who sells their binders for larger cylinder machines, but they did not write me back .

http://www.kwokhing....hine/khf_cy.htm Does anyone know where to get one of these?? thanks M

Oh, you can buy binders straight from them--they don't care. They take PayPal, have no minimums, and their prices are crazy low. I ordered a handful of binders from them in the summer. The quality seems pretty good...definitely better than other off-the-shelf binders you see online. Unfortunately, I've been busy with other projects so I've only used them a little bit. I think shipping was around $20 from HK to the States for five binders...but it was pretty quick. Hopefully they return your email next time.

[c]

I have been looking for some time to find a binder attachment for my big cylinder arm machine (441 clone) and I am wanting to know what type would work best for binding leather with leather.

I know that the right angle binders need a strong feed to work, but I don't understand what is a synchronized binder and when you would need one, nor where to find one.

Please see a binder in action at about 30 seconds into this video. Tanks Marty

For Adler class 250-370 there are binders available which may fit to your machine. Check one example here.

On a 441 clone, which foot would I use when binding with an attachment?? thanks

On a 441 clone, which foot would I use when binding with an attachment?? thanks

Use the left toe harness foot. If you have a blanket foot that came with the machine, grind the right toe off and buff it smooth and use it with the binder. The blanket foot has metal in the middle, inline with the inside foot, which the harness feet lack. This could help feeding the binding onto the leather.

I just got one custom made for me to fit my Artisan 3000 machine to sew binding for the corsets I make. Tom at Tennessee Attachment Co. was very helpful and I thought the price was reasonable, considering it was a custom job. Give him a call - he will need a sample of your materials. Joy

This is their details

Tommy Galya

Tennessee Attachment Company

4603 Hwy. 70 E.

White Bluff, TN 37187

(800) 251-5000 or (615) 797-3144

fax: (615) 797-4716

www.tennattachment.com

post-491-003577500 1323109865_thumb.jpg

post-491-085698800 1323109887_thumb.jpg

I just got one custom made for me to fit my Artisan 3000 machine to sew binding for the corsets I make. Tom at Tennessee Attachment Co. was very helpful and I thought the price was reasonable, considering it was a custom job. Give him a call - he will need a sample of your materials. Joy

This is their details

Tommy Galya

Tennessee Attachment Company

4603 Hwy. 70 E.

White Bluff, TN 37187

(800) 251-5000 or (615) 797-3144

fax: (615) 797-4716

www.tennattachment.com

Very interesting. I have a Toro 3000 and I've been wondering where I could find something like that. Can I ask how much yours cost? Also, what weight and dimensions is the binding "tape" that you are using? Thanks.

Andrew

It will probably cost between $2-300. I am using what Tandy calls "upholstery leather" which is thicker than garment leather (they say it's 4-5 oz). I cut 1.25" wide strips using my strap cutter. I only got it on Friday but have been using it over the weekend. I am very happy with it. I'm sure that Tom can make you one that uses thicker leather or wider strips if that's what you need.

You have to figure out the exact angle you neeed before you actually sew anything "good" because if it isn't set up right, the stitches won't catch on the bottom. I found that in a couple of instances, the binding wouldn't feed freely through the attachment. After scratching my head for a while I concluded that the binding strip was a wee bit wider in some places than others, and that if I stretched it to thin it out a bit, then it worked just fine. Next time I cut a bunch of them I'll make them a tiny bit narrower.

Considering the time it used to take me to bind these edges and the time I will be saving with this attachment, the investment is well worth the price I paid for it. This binding attachment will work on lots of things - maybe I'll start making hats. ;-)

Joy