Sign in to follow this  
MartyS

Heat Activating Glue

Hi Can someone please explain to me why many shoe factories use a heat activation process with their glue,

Are they using standard contact cements?

Do they use heat activation to achieve better bonding, or just to avoid waiting around for the glue to achieve the ideal tackiness for bonding.

Does this process differ in that the heat is melting the rubber instead of the rubber being tacky from still having unevaporated solvents?

Thanks Marty

I am looking into the different toluene free glues, I am assuming that some of the new ones are good and others less so. Some like the riena have cross-linking polymer additives available to increase the strength.

I am hoping that someone can chime in here with info about heat reactivation of glue / cement like what they do in almost all shoe and boot factories.

Here is a short video of soles coming out of a oven and going onto the sole press. yeah I know that this is not a leather shoe, but it was the shortest video on the subject i could find.

Tanks in advance M