Sign in to follow this  
Thorpe

Leather Mugs and RIngs

Greets,

my name is Jeremie... Im still sorta playing around with leather working. Right now all I've done is what appears to be some very basic work...Belts and some bracers (I'm a larper)

Im looking at moving up my skill to encompass the likes of Leather Mugs, Bottles and rings.. the issue is that I've searched google and gone back a few pages here and I cant seem to find a tutorial or something with some good pictures or very explicit instructions on knotting. I can sew the leather but at the end do I just knot it or... ?

the Larp I participate in has A&S (Arts and Science) competitions and so I compete..usually I win but I really want to be a more rounded leather worker..

below is a bracer Ive done

12nj3.jpg

12nj3.7ee029d30f.jpg

Greets,

Im looking at moving up my skill to encompass the likes of Leather Mugs, Bottles and rings.. the issue is that I've searched google and gone back a few pages here and I cant seem to find a tutorial or something with some good pictures or very explicit instructions on knotting. I can sew the leather but at the end do I just knot it or... ?

Very nice carving. If your talking about hand sewing then you just backstitch two holes and cut off flush. For bottels, costrels and jacks you probably want to handsew. If it attached I put in a picture of a leather wrapped glass bottle which is also medievally correct and a good starter project.

number_3_bottle.JPG

post-6035-1213906790_thumb.jpg

thanks!.

I usually learn by the brail method, that is I tend to be a more hands on kinda guy. Despite my bachelors in computer science I love to get my hands all dirty and in the thick of things.

what Im looking for specifically and perhaps you addressed the answer and Im just overly tired :) when sewing a costrel or a leather mug you just back stitch 2 places and then cut the cord..if Im understanding correctly.

the end of the sinew or cord, do you knot it or tuck under something or how does it go un-exposed?

thanks again,

JC

Hi Jeremie

If it's a costrel, tankard, jack or bottel you really need to saddle stich, in which case just backstiching three and cutting off flush is the way I do it. Assuming you are then treating with wax or pitch then it wont notice.

This piece was saddle stiched.

DSCF2022.jpg

The jack on the right is saddle stiched although it's not as neat as a modern one as I had to copy an actual piece from the Crimea period.

DSCF2134.jpg

Or, if you want a Tudour style pattern then this sort of thing.

DSCF1918.jpg

Mike

Edited by MikeDB

DSCF1918.jpg

At the risk of reviving an old thread...

Mike, how, if I may ask, did you make the handle on this? Did you just wrap the leather and stitch it, or is it wrapped around something to stiffen it? What weight leather do you recommend for such a project as this mug?