DavidMillsSaddlery

Looking For Singer 153-101

Looking for a Singer 153-101 cylinder arm machine! I have used these in the past and loved them... I am sure they are harder find now, so is there a good QUALITY replacement???

31-15 is also on my list of machines to get...

Where in Texas are you.. I might know a place.

Where in Texas are you.. I might know a place.

just east of San Antonio... Seguin

Give this guy a call, he's just north of SA if I recall in Boerne, TX and he had a 31-15 (not sure if any of it's still available but worth a try) Established 1968 Shop Contents For Sale (Texas) .

You should try contacting the dealers that sponsor this site first to see if they've got what you're specifically after, I'm told they often have and or can get specific used machines. See the banners at the top of the screen. If that doesn't work, give Bogel-Greenwell a call (because they're fairly local) I'd bet they have a 153 and I'm sure they have a few 31-15s. Good luck.

Be sure to get the 153w101 or 153w103, but don't get the 102. Be careful as these are or were production machines and will usually have a LOT of miles on them.

Pfaff 335 or Consew 227 are reasonable alternatives.

Campbell Bosworth is also down your way in Yokum, and even if they don't have what you might want, their advice is always helpful.

Art

Give this guy a call, he's just north of SA if I recall in Boerne, TX and he had a 31-15 (not sure if any of it's still available but worth a try) Established 1968 Shop Contents For Sale (Texas) .

You should try contacting the dealers that sponsor this site first to see if they've got what you're specifically after, I'm told they often have and or can get specific used machines. See the banners at the top of the screen. If that doesn't work, give Bogel-Greenwell a call (because they're fairly local) I'd bet they have a 153 and I'm sure they have a few 31-15s. Good luck.

31-15 are easy to find down hereThe boerne guy has a 153-111 which a table model. seen his adds on craigslist. looks like a good mchine, but want acylinder arm! I found 20 of these machines in san antonio 16 years ago, and bought them for the toledo outfit! packed them all up and shipped them to ohio for them bck ten! mybe tey will have some left!

Yes,I remember that & we fixed one up for you & shipped it back to you,do you still have it?

We sold all the ones you sent along time ago & have been out of them for a while it seems like there getting hard to find anymore,I did just get one yesterday.

Bob

Yes,I remember that & we fixed one up for you & shipped it back to you,do you still have it?

We sold all the ones you sent along time ago & have been out of them for a while it seems like there getting hard to find anymore,I did just get one yesterday.

Bob

I am surprised you remembered that! I was pretty sure when I saw your name in a post and the Ohio it had to be you!

I have to admit this was before the "internet" and I found these sewing machines in a green sheet ad! I had done a little bit of business with you prior to that I think, mainly just needles and small stuff! Bob overnighted me a $500.00 money order (I was a lot younger and didn't know how to save money) and extended his trust that I wasn't just going to "keep" the money and run! I took the pickup truck load of machines to a shipper and boxed them up!

In exchange he sent me one of these machines mounted on a table and ready to go to work for me!

In my eyes a heck of a trade! I hope he made lots of money with the remaining heads that he recieved!

After the first of the year I will be more ready for a new/used machine!

What is a good/great condition 97-10 worth these days, in case I want to trade?

David Mills

Hi David,

A little advice from an ex-oldiron aficionado. That stuff is heavy, and the older you get, the heavier it gets. Soon you have dollars invested in heavy equipment to move the heavy equipment, and machines to make parts for all of it. On 97s, parts are not getting easier to find, and knowledge and experience in foundry work and sand casting (or a nearby foundry and plenty of cash) get to be of significant importance. When you start buying machines "just for parts" you know it is time to get to know a therapist better. If you can't resist, learn to weld-up sturdy steel pallets and get a pallet jack; the lathe and mill need to be flat and level though. Nonetheless, I still have several battleships, but for the last few years my ventures into "old iron" have been Singer 221s, 222s, and the occasional 301a, 201s, and the like.

Art

I am surprised you remembered that! I was pretty sure when I saw your name in a post and the Ohio it had to be you!

I have to admit this was before the "internet" and I found these sewing machines in a green sheet ad! I had done a little bit of business with you prior to that I think, mainly just needles and small stuff! Bob overnighted me a $500.00 money order (I was a lot younger and didn't know how to save money) and extended his trust that I wasn't just going to "keep" the money and run! I took the pickup truck load of machines to a shipper and boxed them up!

In exchange he sent me one of these machines mounted on a table and ready to go to work for me!

In my eyes a heck of a trade! I hope he made lots of money with the remaining heads that he recieved!

After the first of the year I will be more ready for a new/used machine!

What is a good/great condition 97-10 worth these days, in case I want to trade?

David Mills

I'm just not a big fan of "chinese" and in ten years who's to say that parts for the chinese knockoff's wont be impossible to find???

If there is a comparable in quality in another brand I'd like to know about it... Back when I had my shop up and running there was no internet to speak of, so I have to "relearn" what I knew!

Plus they just look cool! lmao

Hi David,

A little advice from an ex-oldiron aficionado. That stuff is heavy, and the older you get, the heavier it gets. Soon you have dollars invested in heavy equipment to move the heavy equipment, and machines to make parts for all of it. On 97s, parts are not getting easier to find, and knowledge and experience in foundry work and sand casting (or a nearby foundry and plenty of cash) get to be of significant importance. When you start buying machines "just for parts" you know it is time to get to know a therapist better. If you can't resist, learn to weld-up sturdy steel pallets and get a pallet jack; the lathe and mill need to be flat and level though. Nonetheless, I still have several battleships, but for the last few years my ventures into "old iron" have been Singer 221s, 222s, and the occasional 301a, 201s, and the like.

Art

I might have found a ferdco pro 440 locally? what do these usually run$$$? How thick can they sew and what size thread range and needles are available? As well as service and repairs? Are ferdco people still in business?

David,

Yes,that turned out to be ok we couldn't fix a few of them but I think we did OK on the deal.

Art is right the 97's are big machines & parts are getting very hard to find & you can't even get needles for them anymore,it's a shame cuz I get people calling me all the time for them.

As far as for the the China machines Juki parts will fit & I'm certain they will still be making them 10yrs from now so I doubt if parts will ever be a problem.

They also take a standard needle.

Bob

Edited by sewmun

2500 is same as 153-101? No more needles? yikes not good...I'm not sure how many got, but never broke any!

David,

Yes,that turned out to be ok we couldn't fix a few of them but I think we did OK on the deal.

Art is right the 97's are big machines & parts are getting very hard to find & you can't even get needles for them anymore,it's a shame cuz I get people calling me all the time for them.

As far as for the the China machines Juki parts will fit & I'm certain they will still be making them 10yrs from now so I doubt if parts will ever be a problem.

They also take a standard needle.

Bob

And the ferdco's are they of any use still?

The Ferdco 440 is the same as the Cowboy Model#2500 we sell & they take a standard needle & will sew up to 7/16" thick & will a heavy thread.They just have a bottom feed in them that can leave teeth marks on the underneath side of the leather.

It's the 97-10 you can't find needles & parts for.

Looking for a Singer 153-101 cylinder arm machine! I have used these in the past and loved them... I am sure they are harder find now, so is there a good QUALITY replacement???

31-15 is also on my list of machines to get...

I don't know if this link will help or not.

http://www.usa-dealer.net/search.asp?keyword=cylinder+arm&search=GO

I have a number of these, one of my best looking ones is still here for sale, see my product page; Singer 153W102

Keep in mind price listed includes shipping, warranty, new powerstand, new servo motor, and is setup sewn off.

The price is right! Do you have these mounted on the edge of a smalle table? To make sewing big leather pieces easier? The 101 and 103 are supposed to be better machines than a 102, why is this?

I have a number of these, one of my best looking ones is still here for sale, see my product page; Singer 153W102

Keep in mind price listed includes shipping, warranty, new powerstand, new servo motor, and is setup sewn off.

post-26531-015990700 1322759088_thumb.jp

The price is right! Do you have these mounted on the edge of a smalle table? To make sewing big leather pieces easier? The 101 and 103 are supposed to be better machines than a 102, why is this?

TurboTexas,

Overhand space saver stand like you have pictured is +$75, see the difference between subclasses can be see here; Singer 153W class

Thank you!

TurboTexas,

Overhand space saver stand like you have pictured is +$75, see the difference between subclasses can be see here; Singer 153W class

I liked the 1/2" lift, and the small diam. of the arm! If anything I didnt like was the shorter arm... I am lookinig at other machines that might sew up to 7/8" and a 16" arm... A cobra, but I'm not big on chinese...

I liked the 1/2" lift, and the small diam. of the arm! If anything I didnt like was the shorter arm... I am lookinig at other machines that might sew up to 7/8" and a 16" arm... A cobra, but I'm not big on chinese...

Country of manufacturer aside, these are very different machines of course.

Country of manufacturer aside, these are very different machines of course.

Yes, got a big 97-10 can use for the big stuff, but the fact needles are no longer available worries me! only size have is the 28's and d like to go up a thread size to a 415! which think will reguire a 29? have 20 needles so sould be good for a while, the arm diam. is huge on the97, which makes sewing bags hrder...

Yes, got a big 97-10 can use for the big stuff, but the fact needles are no longer available worries me! only size have is the 28's and d like to go up a thread size to a 415! which think will reguire a 29? have 20 needles so sould be good for a while, the arm diam. is huge on the97, which makes sewing bags hrder...

turbotexas,

I have system 97X3 in size 330/30 avaible. I call or email for price, contact info is under my profile.

According to this, http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=51651 I have the needles for bigger thread, since all mine are #28

turbotexas,

I have system 97X3 in size 330/30 avaible. I call or email for price, contact info is under my profile.