I lost a good friend, leather worker, certified tanner and mentor, but also a supplier of wonderful strong belt leather and blanks,,,,,

Elmar Crawford of TN passed yesterday morning and will be missed a lot....

Now I am on the lookout for belt blanks, belt leather and also already dyed belt blanks....

I will NOT order this junk from Tandy!

If anybody has a source for me, it would be great to continou making affordable belts for people in the manner Elmar would like to see it and also sold it ...he was an old school guy and liked quality first....

Thanks for all info and help

See you on the other side Elmar...

Jimbob

I would recommend my source but at the risk of you trashing another supplier, I'd better not.

Sorry about your friend.

Edited by Rayban

call Kevin at Springfield Leather and tell him what you want. He will cut it for you at whatever oz. you want and it will be blemish free.

pete

Rayban

When I feel like Tandy has low quality, then that is because I can not afford to loose customers to Tandy junk leather....I am a professional leatherworker.

I do understand that hobby crafters may like Tandy's because that's all they ever heard of....that is ok and if you feel you can live with this low quality, that is perfectly fine.

No one trashes Tandy, everybody know they have mostly junk.

So dont be offended when people demand better material...in the end it is good for all of us, pro and hobby crafters alike!! We all deserve good companies selling good learher....

No heart feelings, shop arround and you will see....

We all are here to help each other and get better in what we do....if you have any more questions, please drop me a note...

Greetings

james

Jimbob

I could not agree with you more. I have dealt with Tandy for years as I did not know any better, always thought their product was good until I went from a hobby to a full time leather business. These past few years I have noticed significant changes in the "quality" offered by Tandy. Don't get me wrong I will still buy from them when I need their products but, like you, I am seeking other suppliers, specifically embossed belt blanks.

Maybe someone can provide some names of suppliers and we can let Tandy be Tandy.

Call Springfield leather and talk to Kevin or Emma or anyone else that answers the phone. They are all good there. My last leather purchase was from them 16 sq ft of HO 8/9 leather. I made 6 72 in. belt blanks from what they sent me and still have enough for 6-7 holster. I told them what I wanted to do and they sent me the right leather for the job with less than 2% waste.

Tandy may not be the best but there are a lot of us that would not be here if it were not for their initial kits and the willingness to help a new person. They are not in business for the professional and I do not believe they are trying to be. They are content to serve that part of the industry that is the beginner and low level hobbyist. They serve a purpose and trashing them just for the sake of trashing a business is not a good idea. Citing a specific problem is worth doing so everyone can learn about the problem but just writing them off as trash is a poor way to deal with anyone as a business.

I am sorry to hear about the death of your friend and mentor. There are some good places that can handle your needs. Give Springfield leather a try. They should be able to meet your needs. You could also try to find out who your friend purchased his leather from.

Michael

Edited by mlapaglia

Call Springfield leather and talk to Kevin or Emma or anyone else that answers the phone. They are all good there. My last leather purchase was from them 16 sq ft of HO 8/9 leather. I made 6 72 in. belt blanks from what they sent me and still have enough for 6-7 holster. I told them what I wanted to do and they sent me the right leather for the job with less than 2% waste.

Tandy may not be the best but there are a lot of us that would not be here if it were not for their initial kits and the willingness to help a new person. They are not in business for the professional and I do not believe they are trying to be. They are content to serve that part of the industry that is the beginner and low level hobbyist. They serve a purpose and trashing them just for the sake of trashing a business is not a good idea. Citing a specific problem is worth doing so everyone can learn about the problem but just writing them off as trash is a poor way to deal with anyone as a business.

I am sorry to hear about the death of your friend and mentor. There are some good places that can handle your needs. Give Springfield leather a try. They should be able to meet your needs. You could also try to find out who your friend purchased his leather from.

Michael

OK, thanks for all the info and good hints on where to get belt blanks.....Springfield will be my number one choice....cant beat them!

AND for the record, I DO NOT TRASH TANDY, I JUST DONT WANT TO BUY THERE OVERPRICED ITEMS IN LOW QUALITY.....if you like what they sell fine....

And yes Tandy has been around a long time, they used to sell to pros and had decent quality ( very long time ago!!!) ....not any more and thats a fact.end of story here...

James

OK, thanks for all the info and good hints on where to get belt blanks.....Springfield will be my number one choice....cant beat them!

AND for the record, I DO NOT TRASH TANDY, I JUST DONT WANT TO BUY THERE OVERPRICED ITEMS IN LOW QUALITY.....if you like what they sell fine....

And yes Tandy has been around a long time, they used to sell to pros and had decent quality ( very long time ago!!!) ....not any more and thats a fact.end of story here...

James

James, The real shame is the Tandy you and I know is long gone. I'm glad they got saved but its not the same anymore. In many ways you and I agree about all of this.

Thanks

Michael

A friend introduced me to Weaver Leather, their quality is great and you can buy single hides or already cut belt blanks. They also offer several other belt products and services such as beveling, edge painting and even embossing if you really want to cheat and are in a pinch for inventory for a show. They can be reached at 800-932-8371. The Buckle Guy is a great source for quality buckles.

Yes, Weaver would be nice....seen some of there beltblanks..

very nice....problem is they wont sell to me...no tax number.

Tried several times, but there stiff about there

wholesale policy, which I understand....

Oh, well....maybe I have to go pro after all...haha.....

Jimbob