robs456

Homemade Stiching Pony

Made me a stiching pony. Was going to buy one, but then I saw what they charged for those pieces of wood...

post-13704-061125300 1322595853_thumb.jp

Made me a stiching pony. Was going to buy one, but then I saw what they charged for those pieces of wood...

I was thinking of making my own also, once I get a kit, looks nice.

Looks great. It is surprising what you can make yourself and save money. Looks like you did a great job! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

The nice thing about making your own tools from basic supplies is, besides the lower cost, you learn from the experience and discover news ways to make it better if you want to do it again.

I bought the standard Tandy stitching pony, but after using it for a while decided I need to make my own that will be similar to yours. One change I'm going to make is the clamping bolt. Instead of a regular nut or wingnut, I'm going to use a knobbed plastic handle with a nut insert like you see on a push lawnmower handle attachment.

After much searching, I was able to find someone to build me a stitching pony based on the plans from my AS book. I'm trading him for a bush bag and a pair of mitts. I can't wait!!

One change I'm going to make is the clamping bolt. Instead of a regular nut or wingnut, I'm going to use a knobbed plastic handle with a nut insert like you see on a push lawnmower handle attachment.

One thing I'm considering is taking some epoxy paste and put over the wingnuts to round them off a bit, partly to make them more comfortable and also to make it harder for them to catch the thread. On the other hand, I don't really have any problem with it as it is so I'll leave it for now.

I made this one a while back. I sure wish I'd have angled it like yours. The knob does catch the thread occasionally and a light spring to help open the jaws is a good idea.

post-21363-080298900 1322712817_thumb.jp

I made this one a while back. I sure wish I'd have angled it like yours. The knob does catch the thread occasionally and a light spring to help open the jaws is a good idea.

That one looks nice! Is that just leather over the jaws? I noticed it on the other one, too.

Thank you Tinneal. Yes, just some light pieces to pad the jaws so it doesn't mar the work.

Very nice.

You're right about the spring, would be very useful. I may put an old airgun spring (sawed off) in the middle.

Those are both nice stitching ponies :)

Care to share the horizontal and vertical dimensions ? I think I'd like to make one myself too.

Thankzx....

jt

Those are both nice stitching ponies :)

Care to share the horizontal and vertical dimensions ? I think I'd like to make one myself too.

Thankzx....

jt

Mine is 19"x 4" at the base. The jaws are 16" x 4" for an overall height of 16-3/4". These dimensions might not work for you. Sit in a chair and hold out your arms, at a comfortable level for you to stitch, to determine the jaw height. I figured my base width by measuring the seat of my chair and deducted 2" so it had room to move around a little. Hope this helps.

Thankzx....I'm sorry if this is a stupid question :) but does one sit on it to hold it in place or does the stitching horse just stand on the work table ?

again, much appreciated....

jt

Mine is 19"x 4" at the base. The jaws are 16" x 4" for an overall height of 16-3/4". These dimensions might not work for you. Sit in a chair and hold out your arms, at a comfortable level for you to stitch, to determine the jaw height. I figured my base width by measuring the seat of my chair and deducted 2" so it had room to move around a little. Hope this helps.

Thankzx....I'm sorry if this is a stupid question :) but does one sit on it to hold it in place or does the stitching horse just stand on the work table ?

again, much appreciated....

jt

You sit on it, so the best part with a custom stitching pony is that you get the perfect height to do your work at.

I was thinking of making my own also, once I get a kit, looks nice.

What kind of kit are you looking for?

The pattern in the back of Al Stolhmans "Sewing Leather" is quite easy if you study it carefully. I customised mine with padded seat, basket under seat for rolls of thread, wheels for moving out of workshop and into the fresh air and last but not least, a shelf to hold various awls (straight, curved and narrow). I also have a set of pliers to assist in pulling the needles through a tough piece of leather.post-16263-021040400 1322985446_thumb.jp

The pattern in the back of Al Stolhmans "Sewing Leather" is quite easy if you study it carefully. I customised mine with padded seat, basket under seat for rolls of thread, wheels for moving out of workshop and into the fresh air and last but not least, a shelf to hold various awls (straight, curved and narrow). I also have a set of pliers to assist in pulling the needles through a tough piece of leather.post-16263-021040400 1322985446_thumb.jp

Wow! That's amazing! I'm trading some leatherwork for a friend to built me the stitching pony from the AS book. We're getting together sometime in the next few weeks, and I'm going to be asking for the shelves, based on your idea!! That's wonderful!

Now that pony is very cool! I have a question though... do the shelves where you put the awls catch your thead or lace while you are working?

Now that pony is very cool! I have a question though... do the shelves where you put the awls catch your thead or lace while you are working?

Sylvia, So far I haven't snagged the awls in the rack but time will tell.(Murphy's Law states that when all is going well it will foul up) . I've been using it for about 2 years off and on and have changed my sewing technique slightly to minimise the chance of the thread catching the awls.

regards,

TapTapTap

Great job! :You_Rock_Emoticon: Just going to make the same for myself :)

Question: Why did you put also leather cover onto bottom woodblock (in between of "jaws") ?

Great job! :You_Rock_Emoticon: Just going to make the same for myself :)

Question: Why did you put also leather cover onto bottom woodblock (in between of "jaws") ?

It reduces the chance of the jaws leaving marks on the leather.

It reduces the chance of the jaws leaving marks on the leather.

Thats correct. You are talking about the jaws ends, right?

But I asked about the cube shaped block right in between of them at the bottom (please see the original pic from the very first post in this thread). The screw which is approx half way between in 80% of cases prevents leather to touch this block.

But as I see on that shot, there is square piece of leather covered top of that block.

Sylvia, So far I haven't snagged the awls in the rack but time will tell.(Murphy's Law states that when all is going well it will foul up) . I've been using it for about 2 years off and on and have changed my sewing technique slightly to minimise the chance of the thread catching the awls.

regards,

TapTapTap

That's good to know. I don't have the funds to get a stitching pony and I'm not that great at wood working. So I try to use what I have and just "make it work." I absconded with my husbands bench vice... dedicated a hard back cook book I don't like and pinched my work between the pages with the vice. Of course I kept catching the lace on the vice's handle but it was much better than trying to lace with my piece free.

I really like your pony... and it's comfy seat. :):You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thats correct. You are talking about the jaws ends, right?

But I asked about the cube shaped block right in between of them at the bottom (please see the original pic from the very first post in this thread). The screw which is approx half way between in 80% of cases prevents leather to touch this block.

But as I see on that shot, there is square piece of leather covered top of that block.

Oh! Sorry. I guess I was a little quick on the draw with that question. I would assume it just another place to rest the leather without it getting mared? I look forward to the Rob's reply.