Sjm1027

Quality Tools

I have been away from this site for a while but have since been sparked up to start working with leather again.

Would like to know what your opinion is on tools.

I am looking for oblong and hole punches as well as a draw gauge. I have been looking at these tools and see so many different draw gauges and punches my head starts to spin.

I want to purchase quality tools that I can keep in good shape and even pass them down some day.

Is it worth spending the money on an Osborn #51 vs. a draw gauge from Leather Craft craft tool draw gauge? Price is about half... and also the punches, what should I be looking at, anyone have good luck at a particular web page. I live in MA and there really isn't anything around except Tandy Leather. I just want to make sure I am getting quality tools and it's hard to order on the Internet.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Unless things have changed the lower priced draw gauge you are referring to may have a hollow back beam on it. I am not sure if the newer Osbornes do or not. If you are looking for something that you want to pass down in the future, I have some that already have a track record of a few generations behind them. I haven't priced new ones lately, but have some equivalent older all metal ones that are 100 years old and probably comparable in price. I have several other draw gauges as well. These all come with a new blade that has been reprofiled and sharpened. Here's a link to the tool intorduction page on my website - Leather Tools For Sale . If you scroll down there is a link to the cutting tools page where the draw gauges are.

Steve,

Unless things have changed the lower priced draw gauge you are referring to may have a hollow back beam on it. I am not sure if the newer Osbornes do or not. If you are looking for something that you want to pass down in the future, I have some that already have a track record of a few generations behind them. I haven't priced new ones lately, but have some equivalent older all metal ones that are 100 years old and probably comparable in price. I have several other draw gauges as well. These all come with a new blade that has been reprofiled and sharpened. Here's a link to the tool intorduction page on my website - Leather Tools For Sale . If you scroll down there is a link to the cutting tools page where the draw gauges are.

Thanks Bruce

I'll take a look.

Steve