ClayB

Leather rings Riddle

Hello,

...while back in my studio in Australia last week, I gathered more things to bring back...amongst these was a very special leather ring.

On a visit to the Stohlmans in the early eighties, I noticed a leather ring Al had hanging near his workbench. I took it down and was fascinated by the fact it was one piece of leather without a join. When I asked how this was done, he just smiled and said 'see if you can do it'.

Well, I did it (the one on the right), and he was pleased when he saw my effort on another visit.

So, now I say....'see if you can do it'?

Peter

www.petermain.com

RINGS.jpg

post-12-1214004486_thumb.jpg

Wow, Clay, I didn't know you went to Australia! :youwish:

The rings look like they could be made of leather putty. Can you get putty that smooth by sanding it on the outside? Looks like a challenge to me!

Kathy

Good one ClayB! I know how it was done.... (no, not telling! You guys figure it out!)

:evillaugh:

Johanna

Good one ClayB! I know how it was done.... (no, not telling! You guys figure it out!)

:evillaugh:

Johanna

Jo, you're so hard on us!!!

It would be fun to go to Australia impersonating Peter, but no, it was him that was there. He just asked me to pass on the challenge.

I am not sure how the rings are made, but I have an idea I am going to try and see if it works. If it does, I'll post a picture. I hope nobody gives away the secret though. I think it would be more fun to let people figure it out on their own.

Moving to "Leatherwork Conversation" for more attention and retitling it.

~J

hee hee hee I'm pretty sure I got it. Will post a pic in the morning when it's done.

Nice riddle.

Well I am sure that there is a simple explanation on the way that this is done it is way above my head and I am a tall guy!! LOL

I tried cuting out a washer of leather and streaching it out but the problem I had was making the outside edge shrink to matche the inside edge.

Hmmmmmmm.

ClayM.

:Lighten:

Just a second here, I think I figured it out. The packers skinned the cow with out cutting the hide they just turned it inside out and then the tanners tanned it with out cutting it into sides or spliting it, then when Peter got the hide it was a big vegetanned cow balloon, the tanning process had some how shrunk it like the canibals in the jungles do with the little heads with the eyes and mouths sewn shut, so all Peter had to do was cut the legs off and cut them into rings.......Think I am on the right track here!!!!!

aaah no fair, I just can't get my head around this one, or can I..... even as a type an idea forms hang on a tick.......

nope thats not itnope thats not it

OH ! THAT EASY, IS A PIECE OF A COWS INTESTIN............. :rofl::rofl:

I tried the same process as ClayM - I got CONE. At least I don't feel so bad - someone else tried it that way, too. :P

Crystal

Yep, I got it. Those who got the cone, you were on the right track. I'll let ClayB reveal the exact method, 'cause I know I skipped or reversed a few steps!

IMG_0234.JPG

This is great. Inspiring us to think outside the box....umm.. ring.

And yes, I know mine isn't as pretty as Peter's work, but I'm happy that I figured it out.

post-5374-1214073940_thumb.jpg

Edited by TwinOaks

Yep, I got it. Those who got the cone, you were on the right track. I'll let ClayB reveal the exact method, 'cause I know I skipped or reversed a few steps!

IMG_0234.JPG

This is great. Inspiring us to think outside the box....umm.. ring.

And yes, I know mine isn't as pretty as Peter's work, but I'm happy that I figured it out.

Good job Mike. I haven't had time to try it out yet, but I had the exact same ideas Clay M did. Maybe that's why our mamas gave us the same name? As for revealing the method, I don't know it yet. Peter didn't tell me just like Al didn't tell him. I'd like to leave it that way, make us all figure it out for ourselves, if we can.

No fair ! TwinOaks, You did yours on the computer. **rimshot**

I pretty sure i know how this is done but that by no means, means i can do it.

"Knowing how is NOT the same as doing" -

I grasped the concept in all of about 30 seconds. Applying that concept took more than an hour to work out the details.

ClayB, I think you're right; this is something that folks need to figure out. And here's another quote, from a well liked book:

"Knowledge without understanding only increases the frustration of the impatient."- L.E.Moddesitt

My ring attempt. Not as neat as the original, but...

ring.JPG

post-6120-1214104158_thumb.jpg

here's my effort... thanks for making me give the brain a stretch...i can see this technique being very usefulDSCF0580.gif

post-4514-1214109316_thumb.jpg

mmmmm. This is going to have me thinking. Did I mention that hurts at times? lol

I got somewhere near the mark... A really good challenge!

Ray

leather_ring.jpg

post-6314-1214169005_thumb.jpg

Since it's a fairly small circle, I was gonna say the tail of the cow.

Could be wrong, though.

One of the best topics we have had for some time.

I have no clue as to the origional solution but I love the idea of a tail tanned inside out!!!

Hey Ray, that looks just like the one I have been working on. Not as easy as I figured it was going to be. I'm starting to lean the way whtdove is thinking. We have an abundance of cats around here. Hmmmmm..........

..... We have an abundance of cats around here. Hmmmmm..........

Gonna pretend I didn't hear that. :eusa_naughty:

:P

I'm really curious...when do we get to find out how it's done?