billcurley

Juki Lu563

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is or how to go about slowing down my new to me 563 machine? It is in great condidtion but runs like a bat out of hell and next to impossible to control for some of the more intricate topstitching I am trying to do. I have heard that there is a way to slow it down and I probably have all the tools that would be necessary to do the work myself if I knew what to do, or what parts I would need.

Thanks

Bill

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is or how to go about slowing down my new to me 563 machine? It is in great condidtion but runs like a bat out of hell and next to impossible to control for some of the more intricate topstitching I am trying to do. I have heard that there is a way to slow it down and I probably have all the tools that would be necessary to do the work myself if I knew what to do, or what parts I would need.

Thanks

Bill

When I had a Juki LU-563 (1988), I changed the pulley on the clutch motor to a 2" or smaller size, then got a shorter v-belt to get the adjuster back into the mid-range of the threaded bolt.

That was before the time of the servo motors. I replaced my last clutch motor with a SewPro 500GR servo motor, which comes with a 2" pulley. I calculated the difference in belt lengths, minus one more inch for the new smaller motor body. I unbolted the original motor and wiring and dropped the SewPro onto the bolts (table upside down for easier install), installed the washers and nuts, clamped down the new wiring harness and switch box, up-righted the table, installed the new shorter v-belt, hooked it onto the machine, and have been sewing at controllable speeds ever since.

This motor will slow down to one stitch every five seconds, and speed up to about 10 stitches per second, all by the position of the foot pedal. It has a knob on the back to limit the maximum speed. If I set it at half way, it can slow stitch about 4 stitches per minute, but it loses top speed, down to about 3 or 4 per second. The motor produces its maximum torque, even at slow speeds, when the control knob is set to full speed. It has built-in 3:1 gear reduction, to help it maintain power at all speeds.

I bought my SewPro 500GR and shorter belt from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (866-362-7397).

I bought my SewPro 500GR from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (866-362-7397).

( and I love it!!!!!!!)

James

Thanks, I thought I was loosing my mind or my touch or something. I had used a friends 563 and had no problem controling it all, this makes sense now. The place I bought the machine from is sending me a servo motor for $50.00 they didn't mention what brand so I hope it works well. Someone at Advance sewing said to me that I may have to adjust the timing as well, tht didn't make sense to me but is there anything else that I will need to be worried about or watch out for if this machine had been previously set up as an upholstery machine? I do not know it's history so anything to watch for would be helpful and appreciated. I want to get some belts and guitar straps built so I will have something to sell this spring, or hopefully sooner if I can get things to go my way for a change. Starting life over at 48 sucks.

Bill

When I had a Juki LU-563 (1988), I changed the pulley on the clutch motor to a 2" or smaller size, then got a shorter v-belt to get the adjuster back into the mid-range of the threaded bolt.

That was before the time of the servo motors. I replaced my last clutch motor with a SewPro 500GR servo motor, which comes with a 2" pulley. I calculated the difference in belt lengths, minus one more inch for the new smaller motor body. I unbolted the original motor and wiring and dropped the SewPro onto the bolts (table upside down for easier install), installed the washers and nuts, clamped down the new wiring harness and switch box, up-righted the table, installed the new shorter v-belt, hooked it onto the machine, and have been sewing at controllable speeds ever since.

This motor will slow down to one stitch every five seconds, and speed up to about 10 stitches per second, all by the position of the foot pedal. It has a knob on the back to limit the maximum speed. If I set it at half way, it can slow stitch about 4 stitches per minute, but it loses top speed, down to about 3 or 4 per second. The motor produces its maximum torque, even at slow speeds, when the control knob is set to full speed. It has built-in 3:1 gear reduction, to help it maintain power at all speeds.

I bought my SewPro 500GR and shorter belt from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (866-362-7397).