Dom

Viking board game

:guitar: Hi, this is the board I made to play the old game of the Vikings : Hnefatafl

size 14" x 14" (35 x 35 cm)

tablut2s.jpg

link to bigger picture

link to my creations

(as I am in Geneva, Switzerland the page is in french)

A superb and unusual playing board.

I visited your website to find out more but I really struggled to understand the rules of the game as my French is very basic. Can you help with a translation?

Ray

Excellent idea and a very beautyful Hnefatafl board! :clapping:

Off course I would always endorse a work of the old culture;-)

Never gotten around to play Hnefatafl, that's strange, well well

Grettings and hails!

Tom in Svithiod

:cheers:

You can find the rules in english...and play the game online too...

here : Caltech / Hnefetafl

Edited by Dom

Hey Tom, how do you 'say' Hnefatafl - is the H silent? Does the rest sound like felafel? :helpsmilie:

A lesson in linguistics is called for here!

Hey Tom, how do you 'say' Hnefatafl - is the H silent? Does the rest sound like felafel? :helpsmilie:

A lesson in linguistics is called for here!

The old words of vikingage scandinavia has fallen out or transformed into new words. I often find the words that give the vikings language

it's unique characteristics is somewhat better preserved in the English language but best in Icelandic.

I don't speak this langauge at all but have done some research some years ago so pardon me if my memory is not up to date anymore.

The H is silent, I'm quite sure bout that but not 100% but then again, with this culture it's hard to be sure of anything. So little material left to research and often written as sagas in Iceland a couple of hundred years later.

I'm not sure about the f's in this words. F is often V but sometimes not. I don't remember how the grammar behind this works (if I ever knew it really) but it could read: nevatafl or nefatavl or nevatavl but but my gut feeling is leaning me towards nefatavl. The modern swedish word tavla is probably a remain from old norse and a tavla today is often a pictorial wall hanging but can also be signs on walls, roads etc. so one can assume it could also be applied to this boardgame only that it lays flat on a table. It seems uncommon to me with old norse words that use the f that is v twice in a word.

This type of logical conclusion is how the the knowledge of the culture has been built up by the historians and archaeologists.

A example: Raven is a scandinavian word. From the beginning Ramn, M was even earlier used as V, doh. Then spelling changed to F instead of M as V, follow?

Ramn is now rafn and pronounced ravn, normans go to England, settle, languages merge and voila' (french) you have raven in your language. In Sweden today raven or ravn is not a word. It's called korp.

Why? Raven is soo important in the viking myth that it got a new word and was pointed out a bad luck by latter influences. Vikings held them for good luck.

Tom, a qualified guesser;-)

Very gorgeous piece of work. I love it. Well carved and great theme. I also went to your site and there are some amazing pieces there also.  Especially the SACOCHE EN CUIR GRAVÉ. The ornate satchel/bag is marvelous.

Storm

Edited by Storm

:notworthy: Thank you

The satchel was so much work...never again !

But I still think I should see the original Armagh satchel and make a better one.

Stunning work! The vikings gave us such a rich array of artistic material to work with... well worth the price of a monastery or two, I say!

Yeah that's some good looking board work there. How do you say, WOW!!! to all the stuff on your site in French? lol

Now I work on an armour. Here's the piece that covers the back at the bottom (lumbar).

back001.JPG

I thinked it would be done in an hour or two because the pattern wasn't complicated, but it took five...

it's a big area and the tools are still the same (small) size.

post-6849-1214445572_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dom

I have been researching the Satchel of Armagh... You have inspired me to create my own pattern and

get to work. You have a lot of of wonderful pieces on you web site. Thank you for sharing!!