Sign in to follow this  
ara

Fresh Meat

Hi there! Name's Bob, go by ara, live in Colorado about an inch and a quarter south southwest of center. Have fancied learning leatherworking a time or two and life just kept getting in the way. So here I am, fresh, rosy, and feeling something like a cheerleader in a locker room--not that I'd really know or anything . . .

My first post was . . . well . . . somewhere. As I said in that post the extent of my formal training and technical familiarity in working leather centers around tying my own boots for a bit over 60 years. I can comfortably say I've got a hang on that.

The rest will come in time.

ara

Edited by ara

Welcome to Leatherworker.net!

Answering your other post (psst, it's in Leather Conversation) - Yes, there is a LOT of cheap junk available, and there's also a slew of 'introductory' tools. The intro level tools often ...umm...."leave room for improvement in design and construction". They're abundant because most people exploring leather working for the first time aren't all that interested in shelling out a hundred bucks per tool (top shelf stuff). Even then, there's a LOT that can be done with the intro level tools, and let's face it - A fancy handle and an Al Stohlman logo on a swivel knife won't make it cut any better than a 'cheap' version....at least not in the hands of a novice. Yes, there are differences in tool quality, but most of it is the hands of the maker. We had a new member post a stunning carving she did........with a manicure set. Unless they've improved recently, I can't endorse Tandy tools, but you might check out ProCrafter tools at HideCrafter.com. Or you might experiment making your own tools- member Elton Joorisity on this forum is currently making stainless steel tools and they're getting good reviews.

So...you're interested in learning about leather. Do you have a specific area you want to learn? We have very talented members in most areas of the craft, and knowing what you're interested in can help us direct you to the right areas and get you in touch with the right members.

Welcome to Leatherworker.net!

Answering your other post (psst, it's in Leather Conversation) - Yes, there is a LOT of cheap junk available, and there's also a slew of 'introductory' tools. The intro level tools often ...umm...."leave room for improvement in design and construction". They're abundant because most people exploring leather working for the first time aren't all that interested in shelling out a hundred bucks per tool (top shelf stuff). Even then, there's a LOT that can be done with the intro level tools, and let's face it - A fancy handle and an Al Stohlman logo on a swivel knife won't make it cut any better than a 'cheap' version....at least not in the hands of a novice. Yes, there are differences in tool quality, but most of it is the hands of the maker. We had a new member post a stunning carving she did........with a manicure set. Unless they've improved recently, I can't endorse Tandy tools, but you might check out ProCrafter tools at HideCrafter.com. Or you might experiment making your own tools- member Elton Joorisity on this forum is currently making stainless steel tools and they're getting good reviews.

So...you're interested in learning about leather. Do you have a specific area you want to learn? We have very talented members in most areas of the craft, and knowing what you're interested in can help us direct you to the right areas and get you in touch with the right members.

Good morning from a grumpy old guy that has butchered a few cow skins over the years. As Twin Oaks mentioned, tools can run the gamut in price and quality. I have found that certain tools from Harbor Freight even can and do a great job, although they aren't specifically meant for leather work. Most of us are stuck (intentionally) in a narrow line of work --- probably because of our specific interests and partly (in my case) because I don't want to become a 'Jack of all trades, but master of none' ---- not that I'm a master. Take a look at the works of the many fine craftsmen that frequent this forum, they'll assist you in any area that you decide to work in, from watchbands to moccasins, so to speak. Welcome. Mike