BobH

Shoulder Holster Tips

Howdy All,

I'm trying to get myself started down this slippery slope. Being retired and poor before that, I can't afford too many missteps that will eat up my meager supplies budget.

My brother gave me a box full of tools and many books he acquired over time; so I think I have most of what I need except the knowledge and experience to use them. I've read all the books several times and have been poring over posts here. I bought the shoulder holster kit from Zack White and a bag of scraps to learn on. I also have a side of dyed leather that I think is 8 oz cowhide but I'm unsure because I bought it as a clearance item back some time ago (refer to poor, retired).

I've cut bait long enough now and think it's time to go fishing. The ZW shoulder holster kit is really just the rig and includes no pattern for a holster. I know that the handgun will determine the shape of the holster and I have an idea how to go about making a pattern on paper then using that to start on the leather. I have both a small frame .40 semi-automatic and a very old S&W 32 revolver that I want to carry concealed. I'll use the kit as a starting point for the rig but I have no idea what points to consider when building and designing the angles for how the holsters will hang on the rig.

So I'm asking you folks for advice and things to consider while building the holsters. I have read about considering such things as the safety lever on the semi and encasing triggers so that there at no accidents. I'd appreciate any advice you can give me along those lines and aso any advice about designing for balancing weight and avoiding bulges etc.

I expect ths thread to be an ongoing dialogue because I am sure to have many questions. I will try to get some pics of the ZW kit and of my attempts to make the patterns. I'll post back, but in the meantime I'd appreciate your guidance.

Thanks for listening.

BobH,

I suggest you start out making a simple belt holster. The old cowboy style where a flap from the body folds over to make the belt loop is the easiest. One piece of leather, two seams to sew.

Shoulder holsters pretty much require a thumb break. That and the strap attachements will be a bit much for a starter project. Once you work out the actual construction process on a simple holster you can move on.

Also, let us know make and model on the guns just in case there is some special consideration that the model requires.

Dan

Thanks for the advice, Dan. As I said, my budget is very low and I was hoping to go straight to jail without passing "Go!" but I suspect you are right: I can't get there from here.

The two handguns that I want to make holsters for are . . .

Taurus Millennium Pro PT40 semi-automatic in .40 S&W, and

Smith and Wesson revolver Hand Ejector Model 3 in .32 cal.

I've attached pics of the handguns.

Is there a way to post pics in line instead of as attachments? Can't find much in the way of FAQ relating to posting pics.

post-15393-041183100 1323468540_thumb.jp

post-15393-019627000 1323468575_thumb.jp

Thanks for the advice, Dan. As I said, my budget is very low and I was hoping to go straight to jail without passing "Go!" but I suspect you are right: I can't get there from here.

The two handguns that I want to make holsters for are . . .

Taurus Millennium Pro PT40 semi-automatic in .40 S&W, and

Smith and Wesson revolver Hand Ejector Model 3 in .32 cal.

I've attached pics of the handguns.

Is there a way to post pics in line instead of as attachments? Can't find much in the way of FAQ relating to posting pics.

FWIW; I load my pics onto Photobucket, then when I want to add one to something like this forum I bring up that pic, punch the 'Image' indicator and 'paste' it into the forum. Mike

when i shape to the gun i wrape the gun in plastis to keep it dry, also i use a pencil between the sights to hold the leather up to make a channel for the sight to slide threw.

also a deer antler works good to get sharp, crisp edges.

after you shape the hoster and it starts to setup (about 15 to 20 min.) take the gun out and unwrape it.

and if you don't like the way it looks when it dries wet it again and start over, the first one you try you may have to do it more than once.

this is not the only way to do this but it works for me.

good luck and must importanly have fun.

Bob, . . . a very good place to start is the nearest gun show, . . . with a bunch of crumpled up ones in your front pocket.

Take both your guns, . . . and wander around the tables, . . . looking especially for the guy who is selling sockets on one end, . . . rusty shotguns in the middle, . . . and has a box or two of used holsters on the other end. He'll usually take a few bucks for one of them.

Try the holster, . . . make sure it fits your gun, . . . buy it, . . . take it home, . . . cut the stitches, . . . take it apart, . . . then hand sew it back together.

It's fun, . . . educational, . . . and you get a useable holster out of a day's entertainment.

May God bless,

Dwight

Bob, . . . a very good place to start is the nearest gun show, . . . with a bunch of crumpled up ones in your front pocket.

Take both your guns, . . . and wander around the tables, . . . looking especially for the guy who is selling sockets on one end, . . . rusty shotguns in the middle, . . . and has a box or two of used holsters on the other end. He'll usually take a few bucks for one of them.

Try the holster, . . . make sure it fits your gun, . . . buy it, . . . take it home, . . . cut the stitches, . . . take it apart, . . . then hand sew it back together.

It's fun, . . . educational, . . . and you get a useable holster out of a day's entertainment.

May God bless,

Dwight

Great idea, Dwight! Thanks!

A little tip... when you go to cut out the leather for your first holster, cut it at least 1/16 - 1/8" larger than the finished size because you will probably be trimming it down later. The bottom line is... you can always trim off excess but you cannot, very easily, add any.

Nick

BobH,

I recently made a shoulder holster for my Walther PPK. I figured 007 would be pleased with me matching the gun up with the proper leather design. I was sure to mess up and ruin some leather because of the critical fitting and the contours of the straps. I have several nylon shoulder, so I decided to use one of them as a pattern and I felt at ease with my first attempt. Here is a photo of my first one.

Sholderholster001.jpg