BobH

Identifying Leather

Being a raw beginner and having read several books and many web posts, I still find myself trying to understand more about the material. I've tried to narrow my questions down to a basic set, but probably didn't do so very well. If there is a tutorial that covers this, I didn't find it in the tutorials and my search skills are too poor to narrow the results down enough to be useful. Here goes:

1) How does one go about identifying what type of leather a piece is? For example, if one is buying sight unseen and receives a piece of leather identified as "horsehide" how can he be sure (other than buying from trustworthy sources) that it is horsehide and now cowhide or something else? I realize that this is a very broad question and can be answered by an encyclopedia of every type hide ever tanned. I'm not looking for that much detail, just some general rules for identifying leather - signs to look for, tell-tales, whatever.

2) Grading leather has to do with how it is tanned and qualitative evaluations of its surface, texture, etc. This too must be a topic worthy of an encyclopedia, but surely there is a set of facts that will help the tyro to evaluate product. Any good websites or books that would cover this topic for a beginner or intermediate crafter?

3) Leather is also described by its weight which I've read indicates its thickness if you know the code. For example, as I understand it, veg tanned cowhide weight is determined by measuring thickness in 1/64th's, such that a hide that is 1/8" thick would contain 8 sixty-fourths and thus be an 8 oz hide. Is this the correct measure? Does it vary by type of hide (ie, are all hides regardless of source animal that are 1/8" thick 8 oz leathers?)?

4) How does one go about determining the suitability of a type of leather for a specific use? Or a better way to ask this would be to say, "How does one determine if a leather is NOT suitable for a particular use?" Of course personal preference will enter into this, but what other considerations should one make as to workability and durability? I would expect that whether or not the final product is to be tooled or decorated or dyed will enter into it, too.

What I'm looking for is a good beginners guide to knowing common leathers. I know that I've kinda asked, "How long is a piece of string?", but I really as just looking for a place to begin my education with leathers and hides that I might expect to encounter and what to consider in choosing one for a project.

TIA

rh

Bob,

If you ask one question at a time, you will get better response. I you go to a couple of shows and do a lot of listening and some asking, touching and looking, you will learn. If you do a project, and work with the leather, you will learn more. Don't be afraid to buy something new and try to use it. At a show, pick up samples from W&C and Hermann Oak. Deal with advertisers at the top of the screen like Springfield Leather, Sheridan Leather Outfitters, Zack White, and RJF until you learn to identify and judge quality.

Art

Being a raw beginner and having read several books and many web posts, I still find myself trying to understand more about the material. I've tried to narrow my questions down to a basic set, but probably didn't do so very well. If there is a tutorial that covers this, I didn't find it in the tutorials and my search skills are too poor to narrow the results down enough to be useful. Here goes:

1) How does one go about identifying what type of leather a piece is? For example, if one is buying sight unseen and receives a piece of leather identified as "horsehide" how can he be sure (other than buying from trustworthy sources) that it is horsehide and now cowhide or something else? I realize that this is a very broad question and can be answered by an encyclopedia of every type hide ever tanned. I'm not looking for that much detail, just some general rules for identifying leather - signs to look for, tell-tales, whatever.

2) Grading leather has to do with how it is tanned and qualitative evaluations of its surface, texture, etc. This too must be a topic worthy of an encyclopedia, but surely there is a set of facts that will help the tyro to evaluate product. Any good websites or books that would cover this topic for a beginner or intermediate crafter?

3) Leather is also described by its weight which I've read indicates its thickness if you know the code. For example, as I understand it, veg tanned cowhide weight is determined by measuring thickness in 1/64th's, such that a hide that is 1/8" thick would contain 8 sixty-fourths and thus be an 8 oz hide. Is this the correct measure? Does it vary by type of hide (ie, are all hides regardless of source animal that are 1/8" thick 8 oz leathers?)?

4) How does one go about determining the suitability of a type of leather for a specific use? Or a better way to ask this would be to say, "How does one determine if a leather is NOT suitable for a particular use?" Of course personal preference will enter into this, but what other considerations should one make as to workability and durability? I would expect that whether or not the final product is to be tooled or decorated or dyed will enter into it, too.

What I'm looking for is a good beginners guide to knowing common leathers. I know that I've kinda asked, "How long is a piece of string?", but I really as just looking for a place to begin my education with leathers and hides that I might expect to encounter and what to consider in choosing one for a project.

TIA

rh

Trust the Folks that you will be buying from. Tell them what you will be making with the leather you are buying.

Also you need to spend some time in a Leathercraft store.......

Bob,

If you ask one question at a time, you will get better response. I you go to a couple of shows and do a lot of listening and some asking, touching and looking, you will learn. If you do a project, and work with the leather, you will learn more. Don't be afraid to buy something new and try to use it. At a show, pick up samples from W&C and Hermann Oak. Deal with advertisers at the top of the screen like Springfield Leather, Sheridan Leather Outfitters, Zack White, and RJF until you learn to identify and judge quality.

Art

Thanks, Art.

I don't know that there are any shows in my neighborhood, but it I will look into it. Austin, Dallas or Houston are all within reasonable driving times.

I was born and spent 5 decades in Raleigh, NC. Zack White LC was located on Wake Forest Road in those days. I dropped in only rarely when I needed something. Looking back, i wish I had been more interested then. I do have a briefcase from them that was given to me to on the occassion of a promotion 30+ years ago.

I asked a (short) list of questions trolling for a primer on evaluation and selection of leathers hoping that there was a book or web page addressing the subject that someone would point me to. It is a subject that would be of great value to those learning the craft. If no one knowledgeable in the subject has written such a treatise yet, I suggest that it should be written and published as it would be more valuable than many of the works I have found thus far. I hope this will motivate someone to write the treatise.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Bob