Here is my first and second attempts at a journal cover. The first came out a tad small (won't close completely on its own), so I made some adjustments and built another. What do you think? I need to take better pictures so the colors show more accurately, but this is all I have to share at the moment.

IMG1857-L.jpg

This one came out much darker than I planned, but I'm overall pretty happy with it.

IMG1876-L.jpg

I like them. The stitching on the second one looks real good. Did you do it by hand?

Thanks - all sewn on my Boss.

Fine looking Journal covers......

Those are nicely made journal covers. How did you get the multi-tone dye effect, was it airbrushed?

Those are beautiful! I love the stitching, and the colour on both of them. What kind of leather did you use on the second one? I love the contrast of the two textures. I would also like to know how you achieved the two-tone colour effect.

IMG1879-L.jpg

Here is another one I just finished last night. Back to holsters now!

The first one I posted was cut from 5-6 oz Herman Oak. The other two (this one included) was from one of the cheap hides Tandy had on sale recently - it's 4-5 oz. I normally airbrush everything I do. But, for these I wanted a little more mottled effect. I got a lot of inspiration from SojournerLeather, but sadly, they seem to no longer be in business since I can't find any current presence on the internet for them. I believe they use the block dyeing method to color their journals (so the tooling will remain light). I didn't have a block handy, so I experimented with other methods. I suck at applying dye with any method other than an airbrush - lack of experience I guess. All three journals in this thread were colored the same way. I took a piece of canvas about 6" square, folded it up, then dipped one end in Fiebing's Pro Oil dye - Light Brown. Then, I applied it in a circular motion for the first coat. The second coat was applied left to right, and the third up & down. Honestly, I probably put too much dye on this way, but at the time it didn't seem like there was much dye on the canvas I was using. Once that was done, I took the same piece of canvas and dipped it in Dark Brown (Fiebing's Pro Oil), blotted it on a paper towel, then dabbed it on randomly around the edges and fold locations. I followed this with a coat of Neetsfoot oil. I'm not sure if it was the leather, or the application method, but I had a LOT of color rub off - so much that it discolored the thread considerably. But, in the end I think it added to the character of the finished piece.

That one is even nicer than the other two!! Simply amazing!! I am going to be making a bible cover for my uncle, sometime in the future. I think I may make the front similar to your third one, if you don't mind?

Thanks! And feel free to mimic the design for your friend's bible cover. Originally, I intended to make it look a little different (much more simple). But, I made a few mistakes along the way and had to cover them up - the final design evolved out of those mistakes. Not sure if I like the final version better than my original design...

Here is another photo that shows the color a little better.

IMG1881-L.jpg

Edited by particle

Nice work Particle! I like the way you have your patterns planned out, and the way they go together with the colors, and stitching as accent. Well done, nice professional look.

Bob

Thanks Bob!

Beautiful work. I think the designs, the colors, and especially the decorative stitching turned out really nice.

p.s. I'm also disappointed that Sojourner Leather has disappeared... For a while, they were producing really unique and fresh designs in a rustic style, accentuated by Argentine "cincelado" stamp work...

Edited by abn

Thanks ABN. I wish I knew where to buy the unique stamps Sojourner had. They're unlike any other! They'd mentioned maybe putting together a tutorial showing their process, but I guess they never did. I can't find any information showing what they sold their covers for. Seems like the going rate is around $40 on the internet, but you can't include a $20 Moleskine for that price.

Anyone have any suggestion for what to charge for something like I've posted here?

Thanks ABN. I wish I knew where to buy the unique stamps Sojourner had. They're unlike any other! They'd mentioned maybe putting together a tutorial showing their process, but I guess they never did. I can't find any information showing what they sold their covers for. Seems like the going rate is around $40 on the internet, but you can't include a $20 Moleskine for that price.

Anyone have any suggestion for what to charge for something like I've posted here?

Particle, I can only tell you what I do. I charge a set $per Hr, plus material cost. If they want it, that's what they pay, otherwise, I just won't do it. If you have 2 1/2 hrs in one then you charge accordingly. For instance, 2 1/2 hrs @ $30 /hr plus $20 for material equals $95. If it's a close friend or some special reason to, you can discount it, but; don't sell yourself short, your labor is worth it.

Bob

Hi!

Sorry to bring up such an old post, but how do I get such nice brown colour as on these notebook covers?

Thanks!

Chavez.

Hi Chavez - refer to post #7 above in this thread. I tried to describe how I colored them in that post. :)

BondoBob - sorry I never replied to your post. You made a good suggestion on how to price stuff and I appreciate the input. Your $95 seems right on - just not sure something like this warrants that kind of price....? That's more than I'd charge for a holster, which is considerably more labor intensive. On the flip-side, my wife keeps telling me I need to charge more for my holsters, but I feel like I'm already fairly inline with what other makers are charging...

Particle, that's funny, your wife sounds just like mine! She is always saying the same thing to me. Usually, I will skin the price down a little if it is someone I know well or a repeat customer, but; that is always where I start. As for my wife, on the other hand she is a quilter and I wouldn't even begin to tell her how to price her stuff, she is always giving it away! Go figure!!!

Regards!

Bob

Good looking work Eric.....how about a photo of the inside of the journal?

Thanks - I don't have any pics of the inside. I dyed the inside black, smoothed it by dampening it with a sponge then rubbed a glycerin bar over it, then sealed it. Ideally I'd like to line it, but I didn't have thin enough material at the time I made these.