D.A. Kabatoff

3B Saddle For Traveller

Here's an inskirt 3B saddle I recently finished up for one of our own members, some know her as "Traveller" and some of us know her as Joanne.

This inskirt saddle is built on a 3B tree with a laid back 4" cantle and #3 horn.

Darc

Joanne2.JPG

Joanne3.JPG

Joanne5.JPG

Joanne6.JPG

Joanne7.JPG

saddle1.JPG

Joanne8.JPG

cantle%20back.JPG

Very nice saddle Darcy. She should be very happy.

Nice Saddle Darc,

Was admiring your backgrounding and was just wondering what size of bargrounder you use?

On a side note are you going out to the Kamloops festivle this year?

Thanks and have a good one guys!

Darc,

Great to see you posting again! Extremely clean saddle overall and the tooling is as always up to your standards. It has an almost understated quality about it with the overall clean appearance and the tooling that is all topside (fork, seat, cantle areas). Great execution. Always appreciate the many views and photos that you share. Hats off and like others have said she should be extremely happy with this saddle.

Regards,

Ben

Thanks for the great saddle, Darc - it's even better in reality than it is in photos! It's incredibly well balanced and easy to ride in. Here are some photos of it on Traveller (I'm sure he's excited, too, though he hides his excitement much better than I do...). It's beautiful.

Joanne

DSC02584.jpg

DSC02596.jpg

DSC02590.jpg

You can see I've rolled the strings up until they're needed.

DSC02589.jpg

Edited by Traveller

Very nice and as usual clean!! Good job Darc, The pics of the saddle on the horse tell it all. It looks like it "grew" on him naturally.

Bob

Thanks for the words to everyone.

HanginH, I'm not sure what the number size for those bargrounders is. I got them from Ellis Barnes a few years back, they are the shallow type and hopefully you can gauge the size from the photo below. A couple of years ago I got it in my head that I liked the looks of bargrounding all run in the same direction; I wouldn't really recommend it because it takes a ridiculous amount of time compared to fanning a grounder in multiple directions but I can't seem to stop myself from doing it.

As for Kamloops, I'd like to take a saddle up this year but I don't have time to make something specifically for the show. If the timing works with a customer's saddle or if I can borrow one from a local customer (hint, hint, Joanne), then I'll be there. Are you going to the show?

Joanne, thanks for the photos, the one's I tried taking at the barn with my piece of junk camera didn't turn out at all.

Darc

bargrounders.JPG

Edited by D.A. Kabatoff

I agree with you that I like the bar grounding all running the same but am not nearly good enough at running it yet to make it look any good. I was down in Sheridan this summer and spent a couple of days with Clint Faye and he helped me out lots trying to run it a bit better. I was also glad to find out that he doesn't run it all in the same direction and just fans it so I guess if it works for him it could work for me. Just seems like i need more practice! (I never luck out at being a prodigy in anything! Ha!)

I am thinking about going to the show just to see how it works and see the competition in the ameatur saddle makers division. I was hoping to get one built to enter in this years competition but time got away from me once again so I guess we will be aiming for next year. Already starting plans for a wade potentialy to keep for myself or as a spec saddle but we will see.

Would like to get out to meet some guys and maybe pick their brain a bit about saddles, carving etc.

As always the saddles look great!

Darcy, that's a pretty saddle.

I agree with Steve-- 3Bs look cool and looks great on that horse. Billy

I'd be proud to have the saddle shown at the Kamloops Cowboy Festival! Aren't all the saddles new, though? I plan to take excellent care of my Kabatoff saddle but it won't look fresh off the bench for long.

I'd be proud to have the saddle shown at the Kamloops Cowboy Festival! Aren't all the saddles new, though? I plan to take excellent care of my Kabatoff saddle but it won't look fresh off the bench for long.

...Maybe we need to ask Andy how many points I'd lose for entering a used saddle (Andy Knight is this years judge). Andy?

Indeed

nice saddle!

I keep coming back to look at this saddle. I really like the simpleness of it and yet it is still very classy looking. Less is more sometimes! Great job!

A quick update: I took this saddle cattle penning on Sunday and was amazed at how much better I sat the horse, and how much better the horse moved on the cows. I wasn't riding my own horse (the appaloosa in the photo) - he's decent on cows but doesn't really have the training. Instead I ride a horse that belongs to a cowboy friend of mine. I've been riding this horse for over a year now and this was by far the best he has ever been under me.

I give the saddle full credit! Plus it looks darned good, too.

Thanks, Darc!

oops... double post... I must be extra excited about my penning runs!

Edited by Traveller

Billie,

I think 3b trees are cool looking too, I used to lean towards Wades and Taylor type trees but over time preferred the refined look of the 3b.

Aurelie,

thanks for the comment, keep up the good work on your own saddle. The first few can be frustrating but stick with it, as you become more familiar with each task that goes into building a saddle the whole process becomes more enjoyable.

Mudman,

haven't seen you around lately, good to see you are still around!

JHayek,

thanks for the comment, Although I appreciate fully carved saddles, I'm perhaps more inspired by saddlemakers who can make a saddle attractive based solely on the lines of the saddle and the cleaness of their work.

Joanne,

Thanks again for the comments and I'm glad it's working the way you want it to. Say hi to Gene for me.

Very Nice looking rig.Only wished I had that kind of talent.