lazybum

Ostrich Leg Scales

I got a couple of ostrich leg leather from springfield some time ago and noticed that the scales on about a quarter of each piece had part of them sticking out.

Is this common among ostrich leg leather? From most photos of ostrich leg stuff the scales are pretty flat against the leather. Am I supposed to glue them down or just work around them? I'm worried that if I use those parts the scale might get hooked onto something and pull off eventually.

Could you add a picture?

Well this is not my photo but something I got from the web.

product2-20110512-172849.jpg

You see the big scales on left around the bend of the wallet popping out? That's about what i'm getting. Won't the scales get caught onto something and eventually get torn off as you take this wallet in and out of your pocket?

Maybe some Barge to tame them down?

I got a couple of ostrich leg leather from springfield some time ago and noticed that the scales on about a quarter of each piece had part of them sticking out.

Is this common among ostrich leg leather? From most photos of ostrich leg stuff the scales are pretty flat against the leather. Am I supposed to glue them down or just work around them? I'm worried that if I use those parts the scale might get hooked onto something and pull off eventually.

FWIW from the old grump; When you use this sort of leather on something (like a wallet) that is meant to bend of fold, the scales will try to open up, that's why I'll only use it and/or snake skin, as an inlay. Those 'scales' are under tension when folded, and since the critter is deceased (dead, you know) the natural attaching membranes are gone. When used as an inlay, I use them only on flat, or only slighly curved surfaces, Dave Cole (IMO the master of inlay, and may he RIP) always used a number of coats of Super Sheen on that portion of his work to make sure that the scales don't lift. Mike

Edited by katsass

Yes they will, just like that. A little bend you can get away with, but 180 degrees is a problem for most anything exotic. Anything where you have a scale or plate structure, especially large scales like the fish skins they call dragon d--k. Shark and Ray are ok, as are most of the lizards, and it just depends with alligator, caiman, and crocodile. Decorative inlays are ok as long as you avoid bends. Elephant works ok for most wallets, but avoid razor sharp bends, the "plates" won't lift but it can crack. Some skins with looser scale structure like fish really beg for a sealer to keep them down. If you decide to inlay Ray or even some shark, sand off the denticles where you are going to stitch (which should be covered by a bordering strip and both stitched to the backing) as they are hard enough to deflect your needle.

Art

Well this is not my photo but something I got from the web.

product2-20110512-172849.jpg

You see the big scales on left around the bend of the wallet popping out? That's about what i'm getting. Won't the scales get caught onto something and eventually get torn off as you take this wallet in and out of your pocket?

So far, so good.

This is my first crack at ostrich leg. Maybe I'm lucky, but when I prepped the leg to cover the roo leather, I manually "closed" the scales while joining the two surfaces. Essentially, by pushing the scales together, I think I might have delayed or even eliminated the scales from popping open. Time will tell.

Don't know if it shows, but that is one piece doing a 180 deg bend. It's ostrich over kangaroo, w/pigskin suede liner. Lacing is Spanish Lace - one loop. I haven't added a sealer or finish (yet)

And BTW, this ostrich leg also came from Springfield Leather.

post-9389-067009400 1326324079_thumb.jpg

post-9389-061433100 1326324103_thumb.jpg

post-9389-070104800 1326324127_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spence

Thanks for the advices!

I was considering using some glue to hold them down, but because of the smooth surface contact cement can't be used which will mean that I will have to use superglue which is pretty risky in case of spills.

I'm planning to use them as flat inlays, its just that some of the scales pop up just a little bit even when flat. But that might be enough to pose a potential problem. I'm a bit sceptical of the extent that numerous coats of finishes will hold the scales down, but ill experiment with some resolene anyway.

Mm I tend to disagree. For me part of the beauty of the ostrich leg is its scaly structure. It's a pity to glue the scales down. But that's about personal taste :-)

I make bracelets out of ostrich, I haven't had any complaints (yet) about the scales getting caught on something...

post-13498-048332200 1335362960_thumb.jp

I was considering using some glue to hold them down, but because of the smooth surface contact cement can't be used which will mean that I will have to use superglue which is pretty risky in case of spills.

Just to clear up a misconception - if you clean the smooth surface properly with alcohol and let dry completely, contact cement holds extremely well. I use Barge cement to glue leather to smooth, painted surfaces quite a bit and haven't had a single failure in 3 years. These pieces are on motorcycles near the engine so they get lots of heat, wind and moisture on them as well as being bumped around and such. Just make sure to apply a good even coat or two to each surface being joined, let it tack up to being almost dry to the touch and then press together. The bond created is actually pretty darn hard to break under normal circumstances.

Cheers,

Chris

post-10543-085811400 1335372277_thumb.jp

Edited by Spinner

An update:

The cellphone sleeve I posted back in January is still alive and kicking. It takes a lot of rough treatment. I keep in in the front pocket of my jeans and I've dropped it more than I like to admit. The scales are still closed, but you can feel the texture. That is my personal preference.