Sign in to follow this  
Timbo

New Guitar Strap For New Guitar

Bought a new guitar this summer so naturally had to make a new strap for it.

Let me know what you think.

post-5218-084112600 1324485206_thumb.jpg

post-5218-021347300 1324485335_thumb.jpg

Outstanding, love the design.:jawdropper:

Bought a new guitar this summer so naturally had to make a new strap for it.

Let me know what you think.

post-5218-084112600 1324485206_thumb.jpg

post-5218-021347300 1324485335_thumb.jpg

Man that looks awesome! But the guitarist in me cringes at all that metal that can bang up and scratch your new baby.

What brand of guitar is that? I have never heard of Great Divide before...how does she sound?

Man that looks awesome! But the guitarist in me cringes at all that metal that can bang up and scratch your new baby.

What brand of guitar is that? I have never heard of Great Divide before...how does she sound?

Yeah you just gotta be careful with the studs and buckles but its not that big a deal with this guitar. Great Divide is/was Bedell guitars low line. They discontinued the line this summer when they bought Breedlove guitars. I bought this at there Aspen store. (2 Old Hippies) Got it for a hundred bucks and the main purpose of it is to take camping.........so if something bad or stupid happens to it, it won't be that big of a loss. But it is an awfully nice guitar, especially for a hundred bucks. Abusing a guitar is something I just can't do though. So I bought a nice used Guild case for it off of craigslist. Oh and it plays and sounds great........better than some more expensive guitars I've had in the past.

Tim

Yeah you just gotta be careful with the studs and buckles but its not that big a deal with this guitar. Great Divide is/was Bedell guitars low line. They discontinued the line this summer when they bought Breedlove guitars. I bought this at there Aspen store. (2 Old Hippies) Got it for a hundred bucks and the main purpose of it is to take camping.........so if something bad or stupid happens to it, it won't be that big of a loss. But it is an awfully nice guitar, especially for a hundred bucks. Abusing a guitar is something I just can't do though. So I bought a nice used Guild case for it off of craigslist. Oh and it plays and sounds great........better than some more expensive guitars I've had in the past.

Tim

Bedell bought Breedlove? Wow that's news to me! I like finding orphans and fixing them up again. I've managed to get some great little gals for nothing that way. Good for you getting a good case.. don't forget the humidifier. I have a knock-about guitar too... but it mostly sits in the case except when camping.

I really like the cherry sunburst on yours... such a rare color these days. So many guitars have that tobacco burst on them. (blech)

Have you ever recovered an amp with leather? I've got a Marshall Valvestate that is tempting me to recover it

covering an amp in leather would be very cool!!! Funny but back about 1978 I bought a brand new Peavey amp that had been dropped off the back of the truck and broke the case......I got it for super cheap and my Dad and I made a new case for it out of rough sawn cedar.....made it look like a shipping crate. Several years later, guess what line of amps came out that looked just like it??? Yup Crate. And yeah I've bought the occasional guitar over the years to fix up. But I've always kept my first "real" guitar I got when I was 14........did some fast talking and talked my Mom into buying it for my Christmas present. It's a 1971 Les Paul Gold Top Custom.

My brother also builds custom electric guitars. Check him out at www.williamjeffreyjonesguitars.com

Nicely done...professional done for sure! Where do you find how to make the strap...I would like to make a similar one for my son...it would be a first for me.

Nicely done...professional done for sure! Where do you find how to make the strap...I would like to make a similar one for my son...it would be a first for me.

Well, didn't really find anything on how to make it. Since it was for me it was easy. I play acoustic and electric so the acoustic setting is adjusted all the way up high and then the electric will be somewhere down lower.

As for design I just kind of made it up as I went along. I knew I wanted to use the diamonds but then figured out turning them on there side looked good too......and used a lot more of them as well. I didn't like the shiny chrome look of them so I scotch brited them then gun blued them then lightly scotched them again. Made them look old and used. And I knew I wanted it wider over the shoulder and back and thin where it attached to the guitar so I just figured out a little notchy holey thing to transition from one to the other. Oh and from one end to the other it is fully lined and handsewn with 5 cord irish linen.

Don't know if that helps any or not......but that's my process when i built it. you just have to have figure what your finished target measurement is going to be and go from there.

Tim