HCL

Fixed Position For 29-4 Rotating Pressor?

Hello all. I'm new to the board, and just getting into the trade. I have a Singer 29-4 that I've been using to make a few things, so I bought a vintage table for it on ebay and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to semi-permanently fix the pressor foot in a straight position to keep it from rotatng. I will seldom have a need for the long arm, and it would be more useful to me with the table if I could fix the foot into position, as it can tend to wander slightly on its own if i don't pay careful attention. Is there a way to atleast tighten it so it doesn't move around so easily?

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by HCL

Do not have an answer, but hoping you would post a pic of the table. Every table I have seen is a home made one.

Aaron

Hello all. I'm new to the board, and just getting into the trade. I have a Singer 29-4 that I've been using to make a few things, so I bought a vintage table for it on ebay and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to semi-permanently fix the pressor foot in a straight position to keep it from rotatng. I will seldom have a need for the long arm, and it would be more useful to me with the table if I could fix the foot into position, as it can tend to wander slightly on its own if i don't pay careful attention. Is there a way to atleast tighten it so it doesn't move around so easily?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike;

You could disassemble the head from the machine, along with the parts inside the head, then drill a hole, about 5/32 inches diameter, in the front of the head, about 2 inches up from the bottom, then tap it to take a 10-32 thumbscrew. Tighten the screw to lock the revolving foot, or loosen it to rotate the foot.

Singer parts dealers have these screws. A competent industrial sewing machine dealer can do the job for you, if you send the head to them.

Mike;

You could disassemble the head from the machine, along with the parts inside the head, then drill a hole, about 5/32 inches diameter, in the front of the head, about 2 inches up from the bottom, then tap it to take a 10-32 thumbscrew. Tighten the screw to lock the revolving foot, or loosen it to rotate the foot.

Singer parts dealers have these screws. A competent industrial sewing machine dealer can do the job for you, if you send the head to them.

Problem solved! Performed the work and did it exactly as suggested. Before,... anything medium to heavy hanging off the table would tug at the pressor just a bit, sometimes causing it to meander. In the pic, you can see the silver 10-32 thumbscrew at the front of the head 2" up from the bottom. Also, I made sure to back off enough when taking the pic to get the table in the shot as requested.

Thanks again. Works great!

post-27453-029165800 1324696871_thumb.jp

Problem solved! Performed the work and did it exactly as suggested. Before,... anything medium to heavy hanging off the table would tug at the pressor just a bit, sometimes causing it to meander. In the pic, you can see the silver 10-32 thumbscrew at the front of the head 2" up from the bottom. Also, I made sure to back off enough when taking the pic to get the table in the shot as requested.

Thanks again. Works great!

Glad to help and nice work.

That's a very nice table attachment. I could use one like that. Do you recall if it was sold by a dealer, or individual seller?

To my knowledge it was just an individual. The long arm protrudes a bit at the end because it appears there may have been a spacer board/shims or something under the hinges that was removed by the previous owner to lower the bed slightly at the end of the table. I'm gonna put shims back under the hinges one of these days to bring the table and arm back to flush. While I have it apart I'll make patterns of both pieces so I can always trace it onto some paper and snail mail it if it would be helpful to you.

I've only ever had 2 patchers since '67 this one and a k58 I think and they both had a screw like this that locked the position of the feet.

I always assumed that they came from the factory like this.

Tony.

post-5242-075121300 1325551334_thumb.jpg

I've only ever had 2 patchers since '67 this one and a k58 I think and they both had a screw like this that locked the position of the feet.

I always assumed that they came from the factory like this.

Tony.

I've owned two 29-4 patchers, including one a year ago, and neither one had the stop screw. It is present on my 29k172. This is probably an addition made when the K series was started, or sometime thereafter.

My 29K51 has it.

I too thought it was on all patchers.

You gotta realize that the Singer 29-4 machines go back over a hundred years. They have been improved along the years, including the head mounted lock screw.