ara

Granite

OK, this is posted here for two reasons: 1) I'm a newbie and Sylvia helped me out more than a time or two already and 2) I wanted to let others know of a source I located for a pounding board that some of you may want to look into as well. In addition, I have a hard time remembering and/or finding where I posted comments so that I can keep some continuity going and that's the case here. Can't recall where the conversation with Sylvia happened so here's a brief rehash: Sylvia suggested I look at granite counter sink cutouts as a source of pounding boards.

Here's the IM I sent her to let her know how that worked out.

Hi, Syl!

May I first wish you a very happy holiday season no matter how you celebrate it. I have appreciated all you've given by way of instruction, suggestion and encouragement.

Just thought I'd bring you up to speed on your granite countertop cutout suggestion. I actually took it little further since my small town (pop 7500) hosts distributors and contractors but no fabricators.

But we have a lot of old people. So I contacted the mortuary (the mortuary), explained my newfound passion, and asked them who does their headstones. One phone call to another small town two hours south of here got me introduced to a very nice guy who owns and operates a monument company. Being a wise guy at heart I asked if there were remnants or castoffs that might have had a misspelled name or the like.

Sadly, he said there were two smaller "unwanted" Veteran's Monuments that were under a few inches of snow in his storage lot. He said he also had a larger piece that the Veteran's Administration actually had misspelled the name on. At first the dimensions he gave me were a little scary but as I thought about it I decided it would be hard to get one too big unless I got ridiculous about it.

So I drove through the snow, and had a lovely time doing it, and picked up a beautiful grey granite monument with the gentleman's details on one side and a smooth back. 3'6" long by 13" wide by 4" thick. Clean. Right at 245 pounds. The date on the stone was 1987, so he's had it for a while. He asked $20, I gave him $20, and we were both happy. I don't think a 4" block of granite is going to flex much under a leather punch. =O )

So now I've tasked myself with building a stout, stout rolling table maybe 4' long by 3' wide with a few drawers underneath. Any suggested features for the build?

Best to you, Syl. I'm going to copy this to the boards but I wanted you to see it first. Thanks a lot for being there.

Bob (ara)

OK, this is posted here for two reasons: 1) I'm a newbie and Sylvia helped me out more than a time or two already and 2) I wanted to let others know of a source I located for a pounding board that some of you may want to look into as well. In addition, I have a hard time remembering and/or finding where I posted comments so that I can keep some continuity going and that's the case here. Can't recall where the conversation with Sylvia happened so here's a brief rehash: Sylvia suggested I look at granite counter sink cutouts as a source of pounding boards.

Here's the IM I sent her to let her know how that worked out.

The old post was under "Sizing Leather"

I'm glad it worked out for you. I replied to the PM with my ideas. But I'm sure the pro's here will make some good suggestions as well.

You can recess a strong magnet flush on one side of the table once you have it built (not the top). It makes a dandy place to set a needle for a minute when the phone rings or for keeping a steel straightedge handy but out of the way.

. . . recess a strong magnet flush on one side of the table . . . to set a needle. . . or for keeping a steel straightedge . . .

GREAT idea! That's on the list--thanks.

An idea that came up was to build in a dock or sorts for a stitching pony that could be slipped into the table when I want to stitch there or it can be pulled out to be used in an easy chair by the fire if I choose. 'course that would necessitate getting an easy chair, I guess.

*sigh*

Life's trials. bawling.gif

This is actually what I'm considering for the "docking" option. I like the design and, if you read the documentation, it's sort of beggin' for it in my brand spankin' new mind. whatdoyouthink.gif

This is actually what I'm considering for the "docking" option. I like the design and, if you read the documentation, it's sort of beggin' for it in my brand spankin' new mind. whatdoyouthink.gif

Bob:

Did you intend to post a link or something?

Bob:

Did you intend to post a link or something?

Hmm. Actually, I did mean to, yes. Let me look into that.