saddledoctor

Help Locating A Holster Swivel

I need help. I believe there are several others that would be interested as well. I have a need to make a copy, as close as possible, of a military issued Calvary flap holster for the 1911 Colt 45. The pattern is not my problem, I can reproduce that but my problem is the swivel, I cannot locate a swivel for the replica. Checking all sources for hardware produces nothing. Will Ghormley has a new pattern pack coming out after the the new year which includes the cavalry flap holster pattern. Based on the picture of his pattern an alternate swivel method is being used which includes what looks like a copper rivet. Since I cannot locate the actual swivel, maybe some of you or your sources who make metal / silver conchos could make a plain flat concho w/ screw – back supported with a large washer for the back-side. This would be a better alternate than what is presently available.

Any ideas, help would be appreciated.

Bobg

saddledoctor

Hey Bobg,

As you more of us are been looking for this item, I bet. If you know someone that is handy as a metal worker, maybe he/she could make the swivel in copper or brass. If you know your way around a "bench (a machine with a claw that turns-don't know the correct word, english isn't my native tongue ;)" then you can make these swivels as they should be. Myself, I am waiting for the patternpack of Will to come out ;-). Maybe you should contact the US Army for details on the swivel, maybe they can help, If so,keep us posted. I'll hear around my neck of the woods.

cheers,

happy newyear and keep on tooling.

Gunter

Please add some dimensions to this request.

What size is the rivet head that I am looking at in this picture??

What is the OD of the washer??

What is the thickness of the material that the swivel is supporting??

post-12567-066570800 1325430767_thumb.jp

post-12567-083960500 1325430838_thumb.jp

Edited by busted

I need help. I believe there are several others that would be interested as well. I have a need to make a copy, as close as possible, of a military issued Calvary flap holster for the 1911 Colt 45. The pattern is not my problem, I can reproduce that but my problem is the swivel, I cannot locate a swivel for the replica. Checking all sources for hardware produces nothing. Will Ghormley has a new pattern pack coming out after the the new year which includes the cavalry flap holster pattern. Based on the picture of his pattern an alternate swivel method is being used which includes what looks like a copper rivet. Since I cannot locate the actual swivel, maybe some of you or your sources who make metal / silver conchos could make a plain flat concho w/ screw – back supported with a large washer for the back-side. This would be a better alternate than what is presently available.

Any ideas, help would be appreciated.

Bobg

saddledoctor

http://riteonscrew.com/swivel.html

ran across this from another thread, cannot remember which. This might be just what you need?

Thank you Gunter, I appreciate your feedback. Yesterday I did check on the pattern pack with the Tandy manager of the Richmond, VA store who advised that she did know about it but did not know when it will arrive, Tandy has a protocol to follow before stocking the stores. I do want to purchase their pattern pack to have all the 1911 patterns on hand. I am presently making a copy, for a customer, of the 1918 holster for the Remington model 1911 R1. I made the wood insert for the holster today.

I do have a possible contact, maybe two, that can help in making the swivel for the Calvary issue. I will have to run these two guys down to see.

Again thank you for your feedback.

Bob

Hey Bobg,

As you more of us are been looking for this item, I bet. If you know someone that is handy as a metal worker, maybe he/she could make the swivel in copper or brass. If you know your way around a "bench (a machine with a claw that turns-don't know the correct word, english isn't my native tongue ;)" then you can make these swivels as they should be. Myself, I am waiting for the patternpack of Will to come out ;-). Maybe you should contact the US Army for details on the swivel, maybe they can help, If so,keep us posted. I'll hear around my neck of the woods.

cheers,

happy newyear and keep on tooling.

Gunter

bobg,

you're welcome, that's why this forum's for, no? I found this site, and maybe it'll help too , http://www.chicagoscrews.com/products.php?catalog=us&category=7

cheers,

Gunter

In looking at the photos posted by "busted" I deduce that the item is a hand made Brass version of the copper/burr rivet. I would say two heavy brass washers and a brass rod as the post. I have tried my hand at making my own copper rivets this way from copper wiring bought at the hardware store and it is not easy as you are basically using cold forging techniques to reform the wire/rod into the top and bottom of your rivet. Now if I would make a swivel out of this idea I would solder or weld a brass sleeve to the facing washer to make a post through which to push my hand made and cleaned brass rivet then push the back washer on and clip and cold forge the back of the pin to lock everything in place.

I've seen brass and copper chicago screws...a brass or copper chicago screw with the correct brass or copper washers would look perfect on one side.This would also allow for the swivel!

I just may happen to have an copy of the drawing of the cav holster you are talking about. I got if directly from the Arsonal it is the origional pattern with specifications.... While it is a pdf copy you can enlarge in on your computer tosee the actual swivel and the part numbers for same. Only down side is I have no idea how to attach a pdf file in the forum's new format. Send me a pm with an email address and I will send the drawing if you are interested...

So did anyone ever come up with a good solution? I just sat down with the 1911 pattern pack and decided I wanted to give the Cavalry holster a go and ran into the "Swivel Rivet" part of the instructions. I could maybe cobble something together with some threaded tubing soldered to flat stock but dont know if I would trust it to hold.

I was going to try the Chicago screw, I was worried about the screw coming out. I also was going to do the copper rivet deal, I don't like the looks. There has to be something on the market that looks good and functions well. 

Jim

Thank you for the site information Alex. You are right about sparking my imagination. I will have to buy every thing that looks like it might work. They have a few nice swivel clips, and a thing they call a tab. I might be able to do something with that, only  fifty cents.

Thanks Alex

1 hour ago, Jimmy McLaughlin said:

Thank you for the site information Alex. You are right about sparking my imagination. I will have to buy every thing that looks like it might work. They have a few nice swivel clips, and a thing they call a tab. I might be able to do something with that, only  fifty cents.

Thanks Alex

If you check the other threads you posted in, I gave a description of a way that a chicago screw can be used, as well as a technique to use a big double cap rivet.

Also check these guys out for quality USA made chicago screws and other things in many sizes, for not much more than some chinese stuff.: https://www.usbind.com/

The folks from theclip.com told me they are working on something called a ratchet clip. It sounds good but won't be out for a while.

Jim

Edited by northmount
fixed link

Clip.com is a lawn care software site. Interesting, but not the right one i suspect.

2 minutes ago, TinkerTailor said:

Clip.com is a lawn care software site. Interesting, but not the right one i suspect.

here is the link again Tinker. Some cool stuff if not this project another perhaps but its a good bookmark to have

http://www.theclip.com/store/home.php

Alex

2 minutes ago, TinkerTailor said:

Right!  A prior post shows theclip.com

Look at the post above yours www.theclip.com/store/home.php Boriqua posted it. They have all type of swivel clips, not the one I was looking for.

4 hours ago, Boriqua said:

here is the link again Tinker. Some cool stuff if not this project another perhaps but its a good bookmark to have

http://www.theclip.com/store/home.php

Alex

Hi Tinker,

I am going to do what you suggested, not the brick on my bumper, the Chicago screw with locktite, not sure if I spelled it right. Home Depot has it $6.

Thank you,

Tinker

Not sure if anyone is still looking for the Swivel Holster Hardware but Standing Bear's Trading Post currently sells them. They are normally a special order item, but, can be stocked and shipped rather quickly depending on the quantity needed. They are $7.99 each plus tax/shipping where applicable. If you are interested in them please call the shop at 818-342-9120 10AM-6PM Monday-Saturday ~ Sandi

HolsterSwivelHardware.jpg

I am working on  the exact holster in the picture. Looked at the web site for Standing Bear's Trading Post could not find that screw/rivet. What do they call it, and where would it be on their site?

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:46 AM, AA3JW said:

Looked at the web site for Standing Bear's Trading Post could not find that screw/rivet

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:32 AM, Howling Wolf Leather said:

They are normally a special order item

As detailed in the post above, they are special order, so maybe not listed. Contact them directly might yield some answers.

The Swivel Holster Hardware is not on the website due to it being a special order item. 

If you need one contact the shop at 818-342-9120 or via email at inquiry@sbearstradingpost.com 

Thank you.