hiloboy

Sailrite ultrafeed LSZ-1 or LS-1

well after looking around at sewing machines to start learning on and what i can afford and i don't have alot of room in my shop.. i'm thinking about a sailrite ultrafeed LSZ-1 or a LS-1 does any one here have one and whats your thoughts on it.. good or bad i'd like to know now before i buy.. thanks for your help and advise... :helpsmilie:

The Sailrites are very good I'm sure. There are a couple clones out there and I have the Consew. I'm real happy with it AFTER I bought the Monster wheel from Salirite. Told Ed (esantoro) about it and he bought same for the clone he bought. And, I think he is happy too. I would prefer the Sailrite but, was pinching pennies so I bought a clone. Salirite has GREAT customer service and tech support.

Regis

I bought the Yamata FS288 from unbeatablesale.com for $295 shipped, with use of a promo code. It was a steal! Consew, Family Sew, Reliable, Yamata, Fiyue, Sailrite, and a couple more make the same model.

However, I had to return it because for what I needed to do it was too powerful. Strange I know, but it was a workhorse! You can get the accessories from sailrite.com. I would recommend the Monster II Wheel for extra power and control in low speeds.

I bought the Yamata zig zag machine for around $300 shipped, the Sailrite Monster II Balance Wheel $130 shipped, and the Sailrite storage/carrying case for $100 shipped. Total $530. Even if you buy the Sailrite the Monster II balance wheel is an optional accessory, so I I ended up getting the Yamata and carrying case for $430 total about half the price of the Sailrite zig zag machine. I'm happy with the Yamata.

ed

I bought the Consew CP206R, same machine as the LS1 from Sailrite. I also bought the Monster Wheel II, best investment you can make for these machines. If I can stuff the leather under the presser foot the machine will sew it, with the Monster Wheel installed. It also slows the top sewing speed down a couple of hundred rpms, makes for better control. These machines are great for 3/8" or less veg tanned leather. As Ashely noted the same machine is sold by quite a few distributors. I have a number of Sailrite accessories and they all work just fine on the Consew.

John

i'm going to take a look at some of the other machines the prices look good.. i see some of you have zigzag machines and also straight stitch.is there one better than the other when working on leather...or is it you can use the zigzag for other type of sewing other that leather.. or can you use zigzag for leather to.. sorry newbie here just trying to learn :dunno:

Hi Curt,

ZZ is not used much in the leathercraft world as stretch and bias are not in the hide dictionary. Also ZZ machines do not generally have needle feed although I have seen some with walking feet or something similar. If you have difficult or multi layer material to feed the needle feed is necessary. The LSZ-1 can always be run in straight mode and works like any other small walking foot machine. The ZZ is good if you are doing any sail repairs.

Art

i'm going to take a look at some of the other machines the prices look good.. i see some of you have zigzag machines and also straight stitch.is there one better than the other when working on leather...or is it you can use the zigzag for other type of sewing other that leather.. or can you use zigzag for leather to.. sorry newbie here just trying to learn :dunno:

I had my yamata zz out last night. Pulled it out, knocked out some seams on some suede pockets, tucked it away. Very nice, practical machine.

I'd like to find a source from which to purchase an extra presser foot which I can grind down at least 2mm, better suited for thicker material and leather.

ed

I've been watching the Sailrite DVD's Ashley sent me. Never thought I'd be so into sewing machine maintenance and repair.

If I had to have a machine aboard a boat, I might give more consideration to a Sailrite machine. However, after having had a good look at the Sailrite machine, I do have greater appreciation for how Yamata has put together their machine, not bad at all. That said, Sailrite really has gone through that machine and have remedied many issues that may come up in normal operation. However, being a land lubber, I think it's enough to get a Chinese machine and invest in Sailrite parts and accessories as needed.

Ed

The Sailrite DVDs have inspired me to tinker with my FS288Z.

For the record, If you call Yamata (Florida location), no one will have heard of this machine and they will direct you to

Feiyue USA, located in California. They have always been very helpful.

http://www.feiyueusa.com/index.html

It is very possible to add nearly 1/4" additional clearance for the outer presser foot. grind of about 1/8" off the outer presser foot. Then grind off about 1/16" to 1/8" off the flatbar that the outer presser foot screws into. This will also require grinding the same amount off the screw slot in the outer presser foot.

I'm not sure about the inner foot, but tension here can be backed all the way off if necessary.

The presser feet for this machine seem very basic. You would think you'd be able to get them for $5 somewhere, but I've found them only on Sailrite's site. Feiyue USA is getting back to me on the price. If they don't have if for less than $15 I'll probably just buy from Sailrite.

Ed

This little mustang of a FS288 will stitch 207/138 all day without a fuss. I could probably do 207/207, but don't really need it.

Ed

The Sailrite DVDs have inspired me to tinker with my FS288Z.

For the record, If you call Yamata (Florida location), no one will have heard of this machine and they will direct you to

Feiyue USA, located in California. They have always been very helpful.

http://www.feiyueusa.com/index.html

It is very possible to add nearly 1/4" additional clearance for the outer presser foot. grind of about 1/8" off the outer presser foot. Then grind off about 1/16" to 1/8" off the flatbar that the outer presser foot screws into. This will also require grinding the same amount off the screw slot in the outer presser foot.

I'm not sure about the inner foot, but tension here can be backed all the way off if necessary.

The presser feet for this machine seem very basic. You would think you'd be able to get them for $5 somewhere, but I've found them only on Sailrite's site. Feiyue USA is getting back to me on the price. If they don't have if for less than $15 I'll probably just buy from Sailrite.

Ed

Have you done the presser foot mod? Were there any problems, what thickness leather can you sew after the mod?

I am asking, because I am looking at the Yamata FS288Z for myself and would like as much info as possible before I buy it

I got in my mini bench grinder today and did a bit of grinding. No pictures of these mods yet. Here are some pictures taken of leather limitations with basic mods done a year or so ago.

The Monster wheel slipped when the needle was trying to go through two layers of 5/7 thick-skinned latigo. Did the same with one layer of 10/12 bridle. Perhaps it is a good thing that the Monster wheel did slip, otherwise I think the needle would have busted and who knows what else in this little machine that may just try to take on more than she can handle. The Sailrite machines don't have the problem with the MW slipping because they have a pin that solidly and completely locks the MW onto the cam. Prior to this pin, Sailrite used just two allen head screws to hold the MW onto the cam, which is the method I use with my Yamata.

If anyone has plans to buy presser feet and feeddogs for these machines from either yamata or consew, please let me know, as I'd like one more presser foot and two feeddogs with which to experiment with grinding down. These parts should be about $9 apiece and $9 total shipping. When I ordered these parts from Yamata, I received one malformed feeddog that was useless. I was a bit irate and didn't feel like paying to send the part back. Finally, today I made good and turned the sucker into a lt. side toe with my new Harbor Freight mini bench grinder.

ed

Have you done the presser foot mod? Were there any problems, what thickness leather can you sew after the mod?

I am asking, because I am looking at the Yamata FS288Z for myself and would like as much info as possible before I buy it

screws.jpg

23_207_138.jpg

23_207_138_1.jpg

24_207_138.jpg

head1.jpg

nogolatigo1.jpg

nogolatigo.jpg

pflift.jpg

tracks1.jpg

tracks2.jpg

tracks.jpg

post-853-1247523935_thumb.jpg

post-853-1247523955_thumb.jpg

post-853-1247523973_thumb.jpg

post-853-1247523984_thumb.jpg

post-853-1247524000_thumb.jpg

post-853-1247524020_thumb.jpg

post-853-1247524037_thumb.jpg

post-853-1247524047_thumb.jpg

post-853-1247524085_thumb.jpg

post-853-1247524096_thumb.jpg

post-853-1247524108_thumb.jpg

Edited by esantoro

Sorry to resurrect a dead topic, but I was wondering about the longer-armed 388z version of the 288z and what sailrite accessories are compatible with it. I'm pretty much looking for the power wheel, belt, feet / feed dogs and motor. Also, a tray... not sure what tray to get for the 388z.

I have a line on a Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1. I make wallets, belts and holsters. Will this machine do that for me? 

10 hours ago, Billy Hell said:

I have a line on a Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1. I make wallets, belts and holsters. Will this machine do that for me? 

It definitely will sew wallets. I may sew 9-10 oz belts. I probably won't sew holsters. You are limited to 1/4 inch under the feet and #92 thread. It is primarily sold to boat people for onboard repairs to vinyl and duck cloth sails, Bimini covers, seats, windscreens, tarps, etc.

Whatever veg-tan leather it sews will have tooth marks on the top and bottom. You will need to upgrade to the Monster II Wheel to punch into leather over 10 ounces thickness.