Sign in to follow this  
particle

1 3/4" Belt - Hole Sizes

I got a special request for a 1 3/4" belt from a customer to match his holster. I totally forgot that I needed to order a buckle (all mine are 1 1/2"), so today I ran over to Tandy and looked at their offerings. Their economy buckle didn't look very nice. The mid-line buckle was okay, but there was a lot of slop in the roller from side to side. I wound up buying the stohlman buckle. As I went to install it tonight, I noticed the prong thing is much thicker than my other buckles I'm accustomed to using. I used an oblong punch for my holes. Is there a bigger punch I need to use for this stohlman buckle? As it stands, I can't really get the prong through the holes.

smugshot7029470-L.jpg

smugshot9256255-L.jpg

I like the #5 oval punch - but this is general and should not be taken as fact for that buckle (cuz I don't know). Just wanted to say nice, clean looking belt ... love the stitching!

I got a special request for a 1 3/4" belt from a customer to match his holster. I totally forgot that I needed to order a buckle (all mine are 1 1/2"), so today I ran over to Tandy and looked at their offerings. Their economy buckle didn't look very nice. The mid-line buckle was okay, but there was a lot of slop in the roller from side to side. I wound up buying the stohlman buckle. As I went to install it tonight, I noticed the prong thing is much thicker than my other buckles I'm accustomed to using. I used an oblong punch for my holes. Is there a bigger punch I need to use for this stohlman buckle? As it stands, I can't really get the prong through the holes.

smugshot7029470-L.jpg

smugshot9256255-L.jpg

What spacing did you do the holes at? I use a #9 oblong and am afraid to space that any closer than 3/4" apart. If you did 1" spacing, you should be able to get a bigger punch in there.

I spaced them 1" apart, using this punch from Weaver. It's the only oval punch I have, and I hate to order another just for this belt. But, I'm not quite sure this punch is big enough either because it's hard to get the belt to lay flat when buckled.

smugshot7505199-L.jpg

particle , i had the same problem with the stohlman buckle. i just bought a oval punch ,size 9 1/4 in. after reading your post i used it to re punch my round holes and it is laying much flatter. with a little use i think it will be fine. thanks for the incentive.