BanjoMan

Will Dye Rub Off On Clothes?

Hello everyone! I am currently in the process of making a guitar strap and I have a question. If I leave the strap unlined and dye the back side (flesh side) with Fiebing's leather dye, will the dye rub off on clothing when the strap is used? If so, how do I prevevnt this from happening? I really want to line the strap and I have some beautiful maple colored glazed pig skin to do it with, but I do not have a sewing machine and would have to stitch it by hand which would take a very long time. I haven't completely decided against it, but I am considering my options at this point. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

If the dye is not properly sealed, it could rub off. Make sure you buff it until you see no color transfer to the buffing cloth before you seal. Part of the process I use when making cuffs is to buff out really well, saddle soap, let dry, and seal with 2 or 3 coats of resolene mixed 50/50 with water.

So you actually use saddle soap and resolene on the inside of your cuffs as well as the outside? How does the flesh side of the leather accept these products and do you have to do anything to the flesh side before you treat it? I have dyed the inside of holsters before, but never done anything more than dye. This is the first project I've taken on where I have to be concerned with dye rubbing off on clothing...

If the dye is not properly sealed, it could rub off. Make sure you buff it until you see no color transfer to the buffing cloth before you seal. Part of the process I use when making cuffs is to buff out really well, saddle soap, let dry, and seal with 2 or 3 coats of resolene mixed 50/50 with water.

So you actually use saddle soap and resolene on the inside of your cuffs as well as the outside?

I only saddle soap the inside of the cuff. I seal everything I make 100%. The only prep I do to the flesh side is to dye twice, buffing between each coat. This "raises" the fuzz and a good buffing will knock down most of it. The saddle soap is much like dressing the edges, it locks the fibers down and smooths everything out. The flesh side will soak the resolene up pretty fast on the first coat (I use a bristled, throw away paint brush) Let the first coat dry an hour or so and add the second. Let it dry 24 hours and buff it well. You will be surprised by the results. The only other thing I will do to the flesh side is a light shave if it is really fuzzy and wild (before the above listed steps). I use a skiving tool for this.

I only saddle soap the inside of the cuff. I seal everything I make 100%. The only prep I do to the flesh side is to dye twice, buffing between each coat. This "raises" the fuzz and a good buffing will knock down most of it. The saddle soap is much like dressing the edges, it locks the fibers down and smooths everything out. The flesh side will soak the resolene up pretty fast on the first coat (I use a bristled, throw away paint brush) Let the first coat dry an hour or so and add the second. Let it dry 24 hours and buff it well. You will be surprised by the results. The only other thing I will do to the flesh side is a light shave if it is really fuzzy and wild (before the above listed steps). I use a skiving tool for this.

when you saddle soap the flesh side if you take a glass slicker you can slick the flesh side so smooth that you won't have any fuzzies and that will also help seal up the fibers so the dye will not come off as easily, plus it will be more comfortable and slide easier. i learned that from a leather crafter and saddlers journal ad and was so surprised by the result i do it to almost everything i make.

when you saddle soap the flesh side if you take a glass slicker you can slick the flesh side so smooth that you won't have any fuzzies and that will also help seal up the fibers so the dye will not come off as easily, plus it will be more comfortable and slide easier. i learned that from a leather crafter and saddlers journal ad and was so surprised by the result i do it to almost everything i make.

I will give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

I will give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

I'm sure if you still used your method and followed it up with mine it will come out super nice. what do you use to shave down your fuzz

I'm sure if you still used your method and followed it up with mine it will come out super nice. what do you use to shave down your fuzz

I use the Super Skiver from Tandy.