Sign in to follow this  
particle

Iwb Holster - Looking For Feedback

Well, here it is. This customer asked me to make several items in matching colors. I'm overall pretty happy with the IWB, but I think the leather might be a tad thick (8 oz). I'm not happy with the snaps. They're very difficult to snap closed on a double-layer belt. Perhaps I didn't leave enough clearance between the top and the belt and the bottom of the snap (there isn't much clearance at all). How much do you normally leave? I was trying to get it tight on the belt, but I guess I got it too tight... Feedback is much appreciated.

smugshot4386176-L.jpg

smugshot9064661-L.jpg

smugshot8825187-L.jpg

smugshot1586117-L.jpg

I see you also airbrushed the edges on the belt loops. I've done this as well, though I keep getting it too much towards the center and wind up with only a thin stripe of the base color showing. Looks neat, but I've been trying to get it more like you have there. Nice work!

Get ready... you're about to get a LOT more holster orders!

The holster looks great. I agree that 8oz is a little thick for IWB holsters, especially when you've got the wraparound reinforcement piece. 6-7 oz will be plenty thick for that design.

I've done the same thing with making the snap loops to tight as well. I measure 4.25" center to center for the holes for my snap posts and it fits snugly, but works for 1.5" double layer belts. I also wet form them around a 1.5"x0.25" paint stick when molding, and then snap them around a belt while still damp to make sure they'll fit.

Here is a quick photo that I took on my way out the door this morning showing the clearance at the grip area. I'm 6'2" with relatively large hands and I can grip it just fine.

smugshot1717527-XL.jpg

notice the area where the sweat shield is butting up against your thumb?

I would cut that back a bit so it would not get in the way when making a grab in a defensive situation. Other than that, looking very good.