Cumberland Highpower

Best Wheel For Slicking Belts?

Hello,

I am trying to figure out what type of wheels to mount on a leather belt burnishing machine...

The straps are edged on a NSB first...

Do I use the felt/leather, or wooden wheels on my edge burnishing machine to slick it for edge painting?

This machine comes with stone, felt/leather and wooden wheels, I am a bit confused as to what set to mount on the machine.

My goal is to burnish so as to have a smooth finish for edge paint.

Any advice is welcome!

Hello,

I am trying to figure out what type of wheels to mount on a leather belt burnishing machine...

Do I use the felt/leather, or wooden wheels on my edge burnishing machine to slick it for edge painting?

This machine comes with stone, felt/leather and wooden wheels, I am a bit confused as to what set to mount on the machine.

Any advice is welcome!

Well sir, I don't know a whole lot about "machines" when it comes to burnishing, being as my shop was always on the "low tech" side. But, I did find a small wooden burnishing wheel that I attached to a Dremel and with a small dab of bees wax had good results with slicking up the edges of belts and such.

I have also used Resolene and a burnisher to do the same with even better results as this gets a more consistant result. However, haveing never used the Edge Paint, I hope someone who has will chime in on the matter.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Hello,

Any advice is welcome!

I use a Dremel as well with a wooden wheel to get started, then I finish by hand with some heavy canvas. This has worked out very well for me. I would venture a guess that you would want to use the wooden wheel with your machine.

I have been shopping for a burnishing machine. What type do you have that comes with so many options?

Ray

Hello,

Any advice is welcome!

Hi Ray,

It's a Galli FCE.

The Galli FCE+2 has these and an electrical heat glazer as well I believe, But I do not have a +2 unfortunately....

I have been shopping for a burnishing machine. What type do you have that comes with so many options?

Ray

I have also used Resolene and a burnisher to do the same with even better results as this gets a more consistant result. However, haveing never used the Edge Paint, I hope someone who has will chime in on the matter.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Hi Jim!

Do you just wet the edge with resolene instead of water&saddle soap and then burnish it? Just interested in your resolene method.

Thanks

Hello Cumberland,

Never heard of that one but will be searching for very soon. No idea how a heat glazer would work but it sounds like an interesting item Thank you for the information. My search moves forward another notch.

God Bless.

Ray aka Helmut

Hi Ray,

It's a Galli FCE.

The Galli FCE+2 has these and an electrical heat glazer as well I believe, But I do not have a +2 unfortunately....

I made mine with a wooden wheel that hhas four channels, one of them is coverd with canvas. I water&saddle soap and then burnish it with the wheel. If it needs more then I repeat the operation until I get what I want. I edge coat, then coat everything with auzzie and then take it to the wheel for one last pass. Works well for me.

Hello,

Any advice is welcome!

Cumberland,

I found a control cable pully for airplanes at aircraftspruce.com for $8. I appears to be made of some sort of Micarta (fiber impregnated with a resin). It can be used by hand or on a drill. They come in all sorts of diameters and thicknesses. I have tried all sorts of other things, wood, plastic wheel, deer antler, and canvas. I like this best. I use some canvas sometimes afterwards because some leather just doesn't want to get slick.

post-17499-081227700 1330783169_thumb.jp

post-17499-069821800 1330783170_thumb.jp

post-17499-057417000 1330783171_thumb.jp

Edited by Capnclive