bjr

Getting A Flat Plate Rigging Level?

I'm currently working on my 5th saddle (the 3rd of which has a flat plate rigging in it). On each one I took great pains to make sure the riggings were square with everything I could think of and have even checked my latigo slot with a level as it set on my drawdown stand. When I set the saddles on a horse, it looks a little like the riggings are crooked to the horse (i.e. low in front). Is there some method for making sure these flat plates are in level?

BJ, working to make sure your rigging is balanced, square and level, is the way it should be done. There are many different ways to skin this cat, and most of them work well as long as you take care. There is a section in the Stohlman books that covers it very well. A little tip. when you get your tree put it on the horse and make note what angle it sets on the horse in relationship to the ground. Then when you put it on your draw down stand, make sure it sits in the same relationship to the floor as it did on the horse. Likely as not, it doesn't. When I am setting up riggings and other things I have a fabed spacer made from the tree out of an old english saddle that I put between the stand and the tree that brings the tree to the same relationship with the floor as if it were sitting on a horses back in the position it should be just behind the withers.

Hope that helps.

Bob

BJ, working to make sure your rigging is balanced, square and level, is the way it should be done. I have a fabed spacer made from the tree out of an old english saddle that I put between the stand and the tree that brings the tree to the same relationship with the floor as if it were sitting on a horses back in the position it should be just behind the withers.

Hope that helps.

Bob

Bob,

Could you share a photo of your spacer? It might help many of us that have had this problem with rigging tilt not looking right on the horse after the saddle is finished.

Thanks, Rick

Happy New Year!!

bjr

Here is a link on this forum discussing setting the rigging so that is is correct once the completed saddle sits on the horse.

http://leatherworker...h=1

You have to scroll up to get to the beginning of discussion.

Ben