Sign in to follow this  
Suicide

Lacing Method - Gathering One Of The Edge?

Hi everybody.

I need to lace together face2face 2 pieces of relatively soft but quite thick leather (8 oz buffalo) to produce a good "pucker" part. I am going to use 3 mm (1/8") lace.

One piece's edge has 9 cm length, but the second pieces's edge is 36 cm (so about 4 times longer).

I did test lacing having the same amount of holes on both pieces (I had 17 holes for 9 cm part - it is hard to put more holes on it without make them smaller in diameter) using mexican round braid method. So it gives me about 2 cm distance in between of holes on the longer edge (2nd piece 36 cm). Although I tried to put those "BULBS" caused by "reducing" those 2 cm into 6 mm while lacing under the lace, it seems inpossible to get a well-looking mexx braid having such a huge difference in distances between holes and having such a thick leather at the same time.

So I have an idea to do not have such a "splain" gathering but make a folds on the longer edge and then lace them together or something like that.

Can you please give me idea if such a method exists or what the technique should I use to achieve gathering and do not have anything off the laced row having such a differences in lengths?

Thanks in advance!

I think I understand what you are speaking about. I've used pleats when there was too much to gather ...go through three holes to form a pleat. ...Dave

I think I understand what you are speaking about. I've used pleats when there was too much to gather ...go through three holes to form a pleat. ...Dave

Thanks, Dave!

Sorry its hard to me to explain it "intelligible" in foreign language but you understood it perfectly, thanks!

Is there any of methods/patterns use to punch holes along such the edge (what is going to have pleats) in advance rather than punch it while assembling in place?

Edited by Suicide

Two holes must be added for each pleat - evenly spacing them has worked for me. ...Dave

Thanks Dave! I just gave it a try and it works for me perfectly.

This sounded very interesting to me, can you post a picture of it?

Thanks,

Dano

This sounded very interesting to me, can you post a picture of it?

Sure, I will post mine as soon as finish my project. (That small "test" scrap I has practiced with is not a good example how it finally should be ;) )

Can't hardly wait to see it!

Thanks,

Dano

Can't hardly wait to see it!

BTW here is my previous pair done. they have just gathered toe with no pleats but also finished with round mexican braid.

post-26007-061262300 1325538355_thumb.jp

post-26007-018235500 1325538592_thumb.jp

Edited by Suicide

Thanks for posting those pics, now I'm anxious to see the new ones. The first ones looked great!

Dano

Thanks for posting those pics, now I'm anxious to see the new ones. The first ones looked great!

Hi Dano

So here are the pics of what I have got so far.

post-26007-061186300 1326925557_thumb.jp

post-26007-048545300 1326925567_thumb.jp

post-26007-016897700 1326925576_thumb.jp

Looks great!!! Very uniform the way it tucks in and the braid looks very pro!

Now I gott'a give it a go,Dano

Looks great!!! Very uniform the way it tucks in and the braid looks very pro!

Thanks!

As you see on the picture I marked "base" holes do not miss them, but finally found what it actually not much necessary. Closer to the end, I discovered that I made 1 extra hole on the longer edge and fixed it just by skipping this hole and hide it into plait as there wouldn't be hole at all. This place even culdn't be noticed now ;)

And thanks to Dave(braider) once again for such a great advice!

Edited by Suicide