Mike516

Granite Vs Marble

I'll start by saying I'm just getting started in learning leather working. I'm working on getting some tools together I'm going to need for practice and have a question.

I looked around the forums and saw a lot of threads devoted to setting up a shop, and different types of slabs used to work on. I couldn't find an answer to my question so I figured I'd just ask;

What's better for a stable surface to work on, granite or marble? I'm going to go to a stone place I know of near me and I'll take whatever scrap piece they'd be willing to give me, but given a choice...

Which is better, granite or marble?

What's a good thickness?

And what's a good size if I'm not making a whole table out of it?

Thanks.

Granite is more durable. You can mar the surface of marble with steel tools. Marble is also more susceptible to damage from heat.

The darker the granite, the more dense it will be, the stronger it will be.

I would go with the largest block you can get. I wouldn't get anything smaller than 1'x1'

A nice 4" thick piece of granite is good. Before I got that, I had a 1 1/2"x 12"x 12" and thought that was great. Almost anything is better than the 3/16" piece of Masonite that Tandy sold and I'm sure a lot of us started out with.

Kevin

Marble is hard but soft at the same time. Take a look in a Cemetery at the older marble stones the names and dates will be hard to read because their worn so bad and that's just from the weather. Get a granite surface plate from Enco or Grizzly both or on the web.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.

I use a 6" grave stone turned over for my tooling, I went to a grave stone maker and asked for one that was scrap (misspelled name) and bough it for $10.00. I use a 1 3/8" piece of 12" x 24" piece of granite I picked up at a place that makes counter tops, it was in their scrap pile and I paid $20.00. You have to think out of the box, and be creative.

Ya. There's a place in my area where I bought all the pavers for my patio - I'll just mention I'm a returning customer :) . They sell granite there and I figure all places like that have scrap of some sort. The only bad thing is most of their scrap will probably be broken pieces and it'll cost more to cut it into a square than it would be to just buy a pre-cut piece from somewhere. I don't have any heavy duty tools so I couldn't cut it myself.

There are several headstone makers around here also so that's a possibility but 6" thick? That's going to be pretty heavy even if it's just a 12"x12" won't it?

Ya. There's a place in my area where I bought all the pavers for my patio - I'll just mention I'm a returning customer :) . They sell granite there and I figure all places like that have scrap of some sort. The only bad thing is most of their scrap will probably be broken pieces and it'll cost more to cut it into a square than it would be to just buy a pre-cut piece from somewhere. I don't have any heavy duty tools so I couldn't cut it myself.

There are several headstone makers around here also so that's a possibility but 6" thick? That's going to be pretty heavy even if it's just a 12"x12" won't it?

Yeah a grave stone will be heavy. But They say that nothing can beat a big hold hunk of granite like that. (No bounce at all) My husband went to a granite counter top place and got me a sink cut for free. I'd guess it's about 2 inches thick, and a bathroom sink size cut out. It probably weights about 20lbs. Your mileage may vary on price but either way you will notice a considerable difference in sound and bounce no matter where you put the granite. (Mine's on a tiny metal bistro table until spring)

I used a piece of granite that was about a 1 inch thick for several years and it worked fine but a 3 or 4 inch thick works even better.

I was wrong, first time this year, it is only 4" thick.

Everyone is entitled to at least one a year :)

Thanks for clarifying. Imagine I go get myself a 6" thick piece of granite and I'm like; "hey look at this pic of what I got guys!!!" LOL!

Thought I'd chime in here. I've found a pretty good tooling surface if your limited on space like myself. I worked at a hardware store an the place we ordered countertops from had a product called Verona marble. It was a manmade product that was cement based, looked like granite. But it's heavy like 30#'s for a 19x17 oval 1" thick, and hard it sounds like your hitting a steel plate when your working. So you might check the countertop places.

Cool, I will - thank you all.

Thank you all again for the advice. Basically, these are pics of what I ended up with. What follows is the story of how I came upon them, so no one needs read it, but this is what I found.

I went to a couple of granite/marble places and right away, first place I go to, I find the Grinch that stole Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I had every intention of paying for whatever I could find. But the Grinch says to me she has to go outside and see what they have. I told her it didn't have to be anything special, not even a regular shape. She comes back and tells me she can cut me a piece from scrap unfinished granite 2" thick 2'x2' for $250! She says it would be cheaper if I would take marble 1 1/2' thick 1'x1' - only $150! I asked her if they had any broken pieces, anything they were throwing out I could buy and she tells me this was scrap she's talking about, they sell everything. I said thank you no problem and left. I don't begrudge anyone trying to make a buck but this seemed a bit off to me considering I could buy a perfect 1x1 from tandy for 50 bucks or something.

So I find another place not far from here. I go in and the woman really doesn't look very happy. So I figure - ok, ask because you're here and get out before you waste too much time with the second grouch. So I ask for a small piece of scrap granite, marble, whatever they have. She says to me; "you mean you want me to cut you a 1 foot square from one of my big slabs out there?" I said: "No ma'am, I just want something you might be throwing out" (I'm always nice because you never know). So she asks me if I'm looking for a broken piece? YES! She tells me go take what you want from the dumpster out back. Man, if I didn't feel like a kid again, and all for a scrap piece of granite, or marble, who cares. I'd take whatever at that point.

So, I go back there, and not to be greedy or dawdle before someone came out back and told me no, I grab the first 2 pieces that look reasonable and take off. As I was getting in my car, I decided I had to go back in and thank this woman again, and I think I surprised her by going back in there just to say thank you (especially because it's about 2 degrees out today) but it made my day when she smiled.

They're a little smaller than what everyone here was suggesting, but I didn't want to dig around too long so I grabbed the first thing that looked decent. If I decide to try and find something bigger later, I can spend more time looking since I already have something to use if someone chases me away while I'm looking through their garbage :)

The white marble has some scratches on it (it was in a dumpster after all) but I think it's ok for leatherworking, no? The surface on the black one is pretty clean, and I'm pretty sure it's granite, but I don't know a brick from a paver, so doesn't make much difference to me.

So what do you all think of my score?

PS. I'm pretty sure they're sink cut-outs so that's probably about the size they all were in there.

post-27080-093156200 1325704506_thumb.jp

post-27080-026812800 1325704514_thumb.jp

Attaboy Mike!!! Not only did you get yourself a couple of pieces that look like they will do fine, you also demonstrated that you are a good person. A heartfelt thank you goes a long way in these days where so many seem to just take things for granted.:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thanks WS.

There's a couple of saw cuts at the top on the granite piece which there's nothing I can do about, but do I need to get too crazy trying to buff out the scratches? They'd only be an issue if they were deep like gouges right?

So, I go back there, and not to be greedy or dawdle before someone came out back and told me no, I grab the first 2 pieces that look reasonable and take off. As I was getting in my car, I decided I had to go back in and thank this woman again, and I think I surprised her by going back in there just to say thank you (especially because it's about 2 degrees out today) but it made my day when she smiled.

They're a little smaller than what everyone here was suggesting, but I didn't want to dig around too long so I grabbed the first thing that looked decent. If I decide to try and find something bigger later, I can spend more time looking since I already have something to use if someone chases me away while I'm looking through their garbage :)

The white marble has some scratches on it (it was in a dumpster after all) but I think it's ok for leatherworking, no? The surface on the black one is pretty clean, and I'm pretty sure it's granite, but I don't know a brick from a paver, so doesn't make much difference to me.

So what do you all think of my score?

PS. I'm pretty sure they're sink cut-outs so that's probably about the size they all were in there.

Yep, that dark one looks about like what I got. :D Have you tried it yet? It will certainly get you started. The white one with the scratches can be a pattern weight if you want. The Deep saw cut on the Granite one can be a place to stash a tool that has a tendency to roll off. Good job, perhaps you can go back with doughnuts and ask to poke around their dumpster again for a larger one?

And as a person who appreciates manners in everyone... thank you for being polite and making the gal smile.

Attaboy Mike!!! Not only did you get yourself a couple of pieces that look like they will do fine, you also demonstrated that you are a good person. A heartfelt thank you goes a long way in these days where so many seem to just take things for granted.:You_Rock_Emoticon:

I completely agree.

Edited by Sylvia

Thanks Sylvia.

I like the doughnut idea. I'm going to go with what I have for a while and maybe if I find that neither of these is big enough I'll do that, thanks for the suggestion.

I really just started this week. I haven't learned to stamp yet, so I'm just practicing cutting straight lines, half circles and esses on a couple of really small pieces of scrap right now. I only have one nice square that I traced a simple pattern on, but I'm not confident enough to cut it yet. I have to work on my depth which is much better than it was and proper casing which I'm not totally clear on how to do properly. I tried to pm someone that mentioned an archived thread on casing here but haven't heard back and I can't seem to find it. Hopefully they message me back and let me know where they saw it :) When I get the rounders I ordered I'll be able to practice more.

Edited by Mike516

Thanks Sylvia.

I like the doughnut idea. I'm going to go with what I have for a while and maybe if I find that neither of these is big enough I'll do that, thanks for the suggestion.

I really just started this week. I haven't learned to stamp yet, so I'm just practicing cutting straight lines, half circles and esses on a couple of really small pieces of scrap right now. I only have one nice square that I traced a simple pattern on, but I'm not confident enough to cut it yet. I have to work on my depth which is much better than it was and proper casing which I'm not totally clear on how to do properly. I tried to pm someone that mentioned an archived thread on casing here but haven't heard back and I can't seem to find it. Hopefully they message me back and let me know where they saw it :) When I get the rounders I ordered I'll be able to practice more.

LOL you sound like me. I have this beautiful half hide of deer tanned cow that I want to make moccasin boots out of... but I am afraid to cut it.

Here is the tutorial by hidepounder on casing. He did it in a PDF file so you can download it and print for your file.

http://www.leatherworker.net/Bob%20Park/Casing%20Leather.pdf

If you got a kit, I recommend watching the DVD if yours came with one... or go onto Tandy's site and click the banner for "80 free how to videos" I think these "foreign made" stamps in the kits have an issue with being flimsy from what I've read here so holding them properly will help keep them from bending and breaking. If you can't find the videos on there search Youtube for Tandy leather... there are a few videos on there too.

Syl

Excellent! Thanks Sylvia :)

I did not get a kit. All I have right now is a stylus and swivel knife from Tandy and they're good enough for what I need them for. I've read all the negative comments about the tools in the kits so I'm going to buy them separately.

Excellent! Thanks Sylvia :)

I did not get a kit. All I have right now is a stylus and swivel knife from Tandy and they're good enough for what I need them for. I've read all the negative comments about the tools in the kits so I'm going to buy them separately.

It's certainly a place to start! I guess I got lucky 5 years a go when I got a 1970s kit that someone had started then abandoned. It came with 2 swivel knives (not great but they work) several stamps, a holder and some projects that were started like I said. Oh and needles, books and what not. The tools all have Craft tools USA on them. As far as i can tell they are almost bullet proof. Certainly not as chincy as these ones from the kit I got recently. Even the leather items from that old 70s kit is way better than what I got in this Kit.

BTW.. There are more tutorials on his website http://www.paintingcow.com just sign up for his newsletterI see he also has books and video lessons there as well. (wish I could afford them)

I'm looking at this one right now http://paintingcow.c...ial-2009-10.pdf

Edited by Sylvia

I'll start by saying I'm just getting started in learning leather working. I'm working on getting some tools together I'm going to need for practice and have a question.

I looked around the forums and saw a lot of threads devoted to setting up a shop, and different types of slabs used to work on. I couldn't find an answer to my question so I figured I'd just ask;

What's better for a stable surface to work on, granite or marble? I'm going to go to a stone place I know of near me and I'll take whatever scrap piece they'd be willing to give me, but given a choice...

Which is better, granite or marble?

What's a good thickness?

And what's a good size if I'm not making a whole table out of it?

Thanks.

Whatever type of stone you want to use Mike. I got mine from a grave yard supplier. The supplier at the grave yard broke a 3-4 inch thick piece by 18x36, I got 2 pieces free around 18x18 in size, but they are at least 100 lb. each. So I had to built a sturdy table with 4x4 legs and 2x4 cross braces and a plywood top surface, to this day I still use the table, but the granite is outside getting ready for an outside table, so I could tool outside when the weather is nice. I just have a 12x12, I gotten from the Hidecrafter supplier when they where just 20 dollars. It is nice, I can move it around when I tool, remove it when I dye the leather. But use the 12x18 inch rubber mat they sell for punching hole under the marble, it dampens the noice. So when I'm really ready to do my swivel knive work, I just remove the 12x12 in. marble from the table and carve on the rubber mat, this prevents the swivel knife blade from getting in contact with the marble. A nick on the tip of the swivel knife blade sure would make a difference. So you need to bring out the Swivel Knife Sharpening Jig and work out the nick on the blade.

I think these are the materials you need to really start.

1. Swivel Knife Sharpening Jig

2. Micro Fine Rouge from the Woodcrafters web site and business cards to rub the green rouge on for stropping your blade.

3. A sharpening stone and sharpening oil.

And practice your swivel knive cuts.

1. Swivel Knife Sharpening Jig

2. Micro Fine Rouge from the Woodcrafters web site and business cards to rub the green rouge on for stropping your blade.

3. A sharpening stone and sharpening oil.

And practice your swivel knive cuts.

Hey Eddie:

Tell me about "micro fine rouge" I have some red, I got for polishing jewelry and I have the white tandy recommends. What color is the "micro fine?"

It's certainly a place to start! I guess I got lucky 5 years a go when I got a 1970s kit that someone had started then abandoned. It came with 2 swivel knives (not great but they work) several stamps, a holder and some projects that were started like I said. Oh and needles, books and what not. The tools all have Craft tools USA on them. As far as i can tell they are almost bullet proof. Certainly not as chincy as these ones from the kit I got recently. Even the leather items from that old 70s kit is way better than what I got in this Kit.

BTW.. There are more tutorials on his website http://www.paintingcow.com just sign up for his newsletterI see he also has books and video lessons there as well. (wish I could afford them)

I'm looking at this one right now http://paintingcow.c...ial-2009-10.pdf

I had been practicing tracing and carving and was about to buy some stamps when my father-in-law called me about a set of tools he found for 150 bucks. Nice guy he is he bought them for me. There's got to be at least 60 craft tool stamps, a rawhide mallet, an old old swivel knife and a bunch of patterns and scrap leather. The tools are obviously well used but they're in pretty decent condition and certainly good enough for a beginner. There's actually 2 tools in the set I'm not really sure what they are. I may try posting some pics and see if someone can tell me what they're for. I think one or both are edgers but I haven't gotten past stamping with a camouflager yet :)

I have heard a lot of bad things about the chincy tools in the kits so I'm glad I put off buying them as long as I did.