Mike516

Granite Vs Marble

I had been practicing tracing and carving and was about to buy some stamps when my father-in-law called me about a set of tools he found for 150 bucks. Nice guy he is he bought them for me. There's got to be at least 60 craft tool stamps, a rawhide mallet, an old old swivel knife and a bunch of patterns and scrap leather. The tools are obviously well used but they're in pretty decent condition and certainly good enough for a beginner. There's actually 2 tools in the set I'm not really sure what they are. I may try posting some pics and see if someone can tell me what they're for. I think one or both are edgers but I haven't gotten past stamping with a camouflager yet :)

I have heard a lot of bad things about the chincy tools in the kits so I'm glad I put off buying them as long as I did.

Yeah, they are definitely different than the craftool ones in the 1970s kits. Much more thin than the old ones. I haven't had any trouble with them so far but I don't try to drive them through to the floor either. I only wish I could afford the "pro" tools the guru's tout. I did bite the bullet, smoked a card and got one of Barry Kings Swivel knives. ($53 shipped) Can't wait to get it.

I talked to Brad there today and he says it should be shipped on Monday. <waiting waiting waiting>

At some point you should start experimenting with the other tools. I see this sometimes in new guitar players, they spend days practicing ONE thing.... then get frustrated and quit. At some point you gotta just play a song..... even if it is quite badly with lots of flubbed notes.

It's certainly a place to start! I guess I got lucky 5 years a go when I got a 1970s kit that someone had started then abandoned. It came with 2 swivel knives (not great but they work) several stamps, a holder and some projects that were started like I said. Oh and needles, books and what not. The tools all have Craft tools USA on them. As far as i can tell they are almost bullet proof. Certainly not as chincy as these ones from the kit I got recently. Even the leather items from that old 70s kit is way better than what I got in this Kit.

BTW.. There are more tutorials on his website http://www.paintingcow.com just sign up for his newsletterI see he also has books and video lessons there as well. (wish I could afford them)

I'm looking at this one right now http://paintingcow.c...ial-2009-10.pdf

I have a lot of USA Craftool stamps, they are bulletproof. The B200 beveler, I changed to a steeper angle and polished the face with jewelers rouge. I works great, the heel part does not touch the other swivel knife cuts, it is good for deep tooling. The cover of the Leathercrafters and Saddlers Journal 2012, I used this beveler on this cover carving.

I have a lot of USA Craftool stamps, they are bulletproof. The B200 beveler, I changed to a steeper angle and polished the face with jewelers rouge. I works great, the heel part does not touch the other swivel knife cuts, it is good for deep tooling. The cover of the Leathercrafters and Saddlers Journal 2012, I used this beveler on this cover carving.

I'm gathering quite a collection. I now have some pre-"USA" ones as well. Some are duplicates and you can really see the difference in quality between Craftool, Craftool Co., Craftool USA and what passes for tools these days. Sad really.

I have 2 of the Craftool USA B200, a b701,B197 and a B60 undercut beveler. I like it but boy you have to be careful with that one, to not go to deep and cut through the leather. :) I think my favorite one is my craftool co. B803 and my craftool co 941.... and my swivel beveler. lol

50 lb cast iron anvil no longer sold at H F Tools seems to do fine when placed at the right height. Nice and quiet thump thump. Will probably duct tape white some cutting board to its surface for punching holes.

I'm saving and using my sale priced $25 w00d r!ver black granite surface plate for its intended use sharpening items such as wood working chisels and leather tools. Just use black wet dry carborundum sandpaper for an instant whenstone.

Edited by ContactCement

There are several headstone makers around here also so that's a possibility but 6" thick? That's going to be pretty heavy even if it's just a 12"x12" won't it?

My "new" headstone is 12" x 24" x 4" and weighs in at a respectable 90#

Light enough to move it if I have to, heavy enough that it's not going anywhere unless I move it there.

Nice part is if I were to gauge the strenth of my mallet whacks, I'm say Im using 25% less whack to get the same impression.

There's a very nice woman I met in Nassau County Long Island that has several pieces of very nice marble she's looking to give away for her neighbor who's husband was in the marble business and has passed away.

One piece is 42" X 42" square and the rest are irregular shaped smaller pieces. If anyone needs a piece of marble for their shop out here, let me know and I'll get you together with her. I can even meet you there and help you load it if you want.

Try and let me know soon because she has several people coming to look to use them for table tops, and they're pretty nice so probably won't be there for long. Post here or pm me.