What have yall used as a tobacco pouch liner? Did a search and found a couple threads with suggestions - latex, vinyl, etc. But hoping someone could verify what they used and how it held up.

Thanks.

I have only made a few and i didn't use a liner. The ones that i have seen with a liner had what looked to be regular lining material like they use on a vest of something like that.

The last two I made, . . . for the same guy, . . . first one had a piece of his grandmother's quilting pieces (cotton fabric) cemented in with contact cement.

His wife gave it to him for a gift, . . . told him about the lining, . . . he got all teary eyed, . . . put it up, . . . refused to use it.

I made him a second one, just like the first, but with just a scrap piece of my own quilt pieces (again a plain cotton fabric) cemented to the leather before I started doing all the other things to make the pouch.

That was a number of years ago, . . . it must have worked out as I have never had any call backs, . . . and SHE would have called me if it had not worked out.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight.

I'm considering building a pouch without a liner for now (at least a nonpermeable one) and see how the guy likes it. At the very least he can have a workable pouch for day to day. I'd be interested to see how it held out. Meantime I could search around for a liner and do another pouch if I needed to.

I have an old...1930-1940's leather craft book that suggest waxed (beeswax/ paraffin?? It does not say) canvas. I think it says linen not sure it matters what it is, so long as the weave was tight.

You could always make one without a lining and use a plastic bag inside it if you are worried about freshness.

I do not have experience in this area, but cotton duck (canvas) is available at any sewing/craft shop. You could make the entire case then dip in melted wax and it would be waterproof. I would imagine unbleached cotton would not case any harm to tobacco, though I doubt veg-tan leather would either.

I would not recommend chrome-tanned leather for such a pouch,, though. I know that tanning process puts out a lot of toxic pollution, so maybe not good to have in contact with anything that might be ingested.

Justa thought.

-JV474

Hey Shorts,

I'm a little last to the party with this, but maybe somebody else. Or, perhaps somebody will explain my little DIY discovery is not so wonderful after all. Its all good...

I'm making a combination wallet/tobacco pouch and had the same question on the pouch lining. I ended up making my own liner after buying a cheap fabric pouch from a tobacco shop for reverse engineering ideas and to use as a liner. Once home and dissected, it was nothing more than some really ugly fabric with a thin sheet of plastic on one side -- the kind of material that you might find used on a kid's raincoat. Looked easy enough to DIY, so I did. I took some 6 mil visqueen and sandwiched it between two layers of faux tooled upholstery fabric (~ 1oz) and I think it turned out great.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=19280

First of all it looks cool. But does it perform? Indeed it does. It's flexible, returns to shape, and is stiff enough to be manageable in a one-handed rolling situation (an unexpected benefit). No crinkling sound from the visqueen nor any odors. Did I mention it's reversible? You betcha it is. Now that I think about it, I could see an occasion where you might have a need to store something other than tobacco and didn't want to taint the taste of either -- two pouches in one. All that, and it's still thin enough to be used as a liner if you want. Why it's a dang modern marvel is what its! Durability, not a problem. Last as long as the skin does.

Ok, it's not leather. You got me on that one.

As a pipe smoker, I made a couple of tobacco pouch. Usually, the kind of latex-looking fabric used in the traditional tobacco pouch is call English paper (don't know if the traduction is right, in french it's call papier Anglais, as I learned on a pipe smoking forum) But honestly, as my pipe maker said to me, it's not working at all. The special fabric is supposed to keep the tobacco at the right moisture level. Working for 2-3 days, then dry as hell. So know I put my tobacco in a zipploc and the pouch is only for visual (zipploc is unesthetic). So from my point of view, anything is good for lining. I like pigskin of tick cotton.