Chavez

Cutting Patterns

Cutting patterns accurately was a pain and then after the pattern was transferred to leather lines were getting distorted, etc.

Hi Chavez...I have just started using a round knife to cut my leather and find its fantastic for reducing the distortion problems. I had exactly the same issue and think its because most knives are pulled through the leather, stretching it as it goes. The round knife is pushed through and if its sharp enough (keep on honing!) it seems to pass through like butter. Plus you have the option to rock the blade and get a scissor like cut.

My round knife came from Leprevo in Newcastle. Surprisingly, they just describe it as "Saddlers Round Knife" - yet when it arived i was very pleasantly surprised to find its made by Geo. Barnsley & Sons in Sheffield, who are supposed to make very good tools! The Leprevo price is half what you would pay for a knife at Tandys!

I wish i had bought one months ago.

adam

A couple thoughts. If I'm doing something that I will only make a couple of, I use poster board to make the pattern and then trace around it. If it's a one time good deal, I use plastic tracing film like you can find at Tandy. If it's something I want to make a lot of then you can get plexiglas, cut it on a bandsaw or by hand then sand the edges smooth. It has less tendency to shift when tracing around it. If you use some around 1/8" thick, you can dampen your leather, put down the plexi then tap around the edges to leave an impression to cut along, trace around it, or simply cut along the plexi.

I came across this video a couple of weeks ago and it works pretty good for me except I use 90-100 lb manilla paper or posterboard instead of the bag stiffiner that they recommend in the video.

Damon

I use Manila folders for most of my patterns. If its something that ill be using alot I use these thin cutting board things I found at Ross's. they are slightly thicker than a Manila folder and the last batch I bought had a non slip surface on the bottom which keeps it from sliding around. I also use these to glue leather onto that ill be tooling, the glue comes off easily when I'm ready to remove it.

I don't know how many of you have cutters out there to cut your templates. But for those that do you might want to consider a product called Sticky Flock. It is used for making rhinestone templates for apparel. The nice thing about Sticky Flock is it is fairly thick and it has a sticky back that is repositionable and won't leave a residue on your item.

Another option is oil board. Some people have mentioned cutting this in their cutter. I have not tried it but I have cut it in my laser. MUCH less expensive than acrylic. You can get oil board from Uline.

This is just my opinion but I think that sticky flock, which I use on occasion for making rhinestone templates when my automatic rhinestone machine is busy with another project, would be a very expensive option for leather pattern making. Also because sticky flock is flexible, it has a tendency to give when tracing intricate designs which leads to distortion, and left adhesive residue on the leather when I removed it. At least that was my experience when I tried it although I was able to remove the residue. I tried it because I had scraps lying around but I definitely wouldn't buy it for the sole purpose of leather template making. Manila folders would be a much cheaper and easier option, and works great. Just imagine the amount of flock you would use to make a purse, briefcase, or even a wallet. JMO.

What I have been doing lately for items that I will make over and over is using my cutter/plotter to print the design on craft paper first. (You can get a roll at Lowes for $7 - it is generally used to cover newly installed hardwood flooring and comes in several thicknesses.) I load it in the plotter just as I do a roll of vinyl. Then once the pattern works and all adjustments made, I will cut the template out on stencil blanks or card stock using the cutter. Much sturdier and won't distort and will have a long life. For one time pieces, I will be using the Manila folders as I already have so many in my office.

I will say I haven't tried it but I wouldn't have expected it to leave a residue. Interesting that it did. But yes, definitely pricey.

I will say I haven't tried it but I wouldn't have expected it to leave a residue. Interesting that it did. But yes, definitely pricey.

I found that odd as well since it does not leave one when using it on a flock station, but I just assumed it had something to do with the veg tan natural leather or something. (then again this is the same roll I bought nearly two years ago so it could just be old flock - don't know if this stuff goes bad or not) I used a leather cleaner I had on hand and a soft cloth and it wiped right off.

On a side note I did use it to test a design for airbrushing onto the leather and it worked great. Clean crisp lines and the fine detail in the design was great. I am going to test vinyl wall decal next for airbrushing as that would be a much cheaper option.

Oh...let me know how that goes. I have a laser engraver so I have been playing with lasering leather. I am going to try using laser mask (that we use for sandblasting) on the top of the leather and then paint as a stencil.

Edited by cmantz

Wow I bet that's nice. Getting a laser engraver has been on my list for 2 years now. I am looking at the Epilog. I have been playing around with tooling the leather and I am terrible at it so I was thinking that a laser may be a better way to go for me. I watched a few videos of it being done on leather and the finished product looked really nice.

The stencil method you will be using is similar to what I am using now. My tooling looks like caca so until I get the hang of if, all my designs are either airbrushed or painted on using the aid of a stencil. I am just testing to see what works with the materials I have on hand before I run out and buy a new product. That is how I came to test out the sticky flock. I am thinking the wall vinyl will leave more residue than the flock but I will get around to testing this weekend to see if that would be an option as I have tons of it lying around the shop.

yes, laser is a fun toy to play with as it can do so many things. We have had ours for probably 6-7 years and have always wanted to try leather. Finally gave it a try this last month and WOW...so cool. I will say that I like the horse butt lasered better than the veg tanned. I uploaded two pictures in the gallery of our first attempts at lasering. I have another that I am about finished with that I will post. I did try to laser cut an outline (basically in place of the swivel knife) and then tooled and I think it can work...although my first attempt I think I cut too deep. I am not great with the tooling and TERRIBLE with the swivel knife. But as with anything...I need to practice, practice, and more practice.

I have a Universal 30 watt laser.