Newbee

Need Smaller Beveling & Background Tool

I am still learning. Most of my tooling projects are extremely small images, meaning a lot of areas I need to bevel and background are tiny. The smallest beveling & background tools that Tandy offer seem to be too big. Does someone make smaller tools or do I need to learn the right technique to use the ones I have? I considered trying to grind one down with my Dremel. I love this site, and appreciate everyone who takes the time to help folks like me who get hooked on leather. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Try Clay Miller on here.....he makes custom tools.

Hello fellow learner.:wave:

A lot of the people here modify their tools, and not just stamping tools.

http://leatherworker...?showtopic=3935

http://leatherworker...showtopic=30155

http://leatherworker...showtopic=29124

Thanks for the links. The posts sure have boosted my confidence a little. Maybe I am on the right track! I have a couple extra tools I got off ebay, so I am going to grind away and see what I come up with.

I had the same problem and by chance I made a mistake and ended up with two B60 tools.

Ground the sides off one and got exactly what I was missing.

The elevated heel on the tool works great for small areas, the tip is the only area that hits the leather.

It was ground using a dremel.

post-19342-076059300 1326332409_thumb.jp

Try Barry King Tools, he has both. The great thing about his bevelers is they have a steeper angle which really helps in beleveling in tight areas. You don't get as much "collateral" damage with the steeper angle. Hope this helps,

Terry

I picked up a belt sander (1x30) from Harbor Freight and have been using it to sand edges and make tools. You can pick up SS bolts at your local hardware store and just go to town on them. After you get your shaping done, you can use the 'jeweler's rouge' to polish it. So far I've made bevelers, matters, and thumbprints/pear shaders. I really need a checkering file to do textured tools, but that hasn't been budgeted yet.

Have you tried using a small modeling tool to bevel? I would guess you are doing figure carving? I just use a scratch awl to background tight areas.

Have you tried using a small modeling tool to bevel? I would guess you are doing figure carving? I just use a scratch awl to background tight areas.

I used my Dremel to grind 4 tools down to the size I wanted them. They are so tiny!..and they work great! I was afraid I would have really rough edges, but after running some sand paper around the edges, they are fine. If I ever make any money with leather I might consider investing in some Barry King tools. I'm sure they are worth every penny, but for now my new tiny little tools will serve my purpose.I have tried using the molding tools instead of beveling. I don't really care for how it looks. I 'm sure as I go along and figure out how to case the leather just right it would make a difference. I will try to post a picture soon.

Here are the tools. The ones on the right are the original size. The ones on the left are the ones I ground down. One Beveler and 3 Background.

post-15395-064884600 1326530174_thumb.jp

post-15395-036267700 1326530190_thumb.jp

post-15395-035711300 1326530274_thumb.jp

post-15395-007975900 1326530373_thumb.jp

Excellent results in your tool modification! That is one of the nicer things about this hobby.....you can make your own rules!!

Here are the tools. The ones on the right are the original size. The ones on the left are the ones I ground down. One Beveler and 3 Background.

I never cease to be amazed on this site....I mean everyday. I would never think of modifying some of my tools for what I need. Hat off to you (if I had a hat, LOL)for this creative solution.

Don't forget about making from scratch. You can start with large nails, spikes, and bolts and grind the heads into your own custom shapes with a belt sander, dremel, and files, one of my favorite flower centers started out as a large nail. You can add fine lines with a gunsmith's checkering file. And you can make modeling tools and petal lifters from 1/4" stainless steel rod.